SaltCritters.com

Reefnewby82's SPS/LPS mixed reef 58g

ReefNewby82

9 hours ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Curry rubbed 1 lb ribeye....with Truffle oil 3 cheese mac, and some marinated grilled veggie kabobs.  Enjoy!

Hold a plate for me, I'll be right over!!! omgomgomg

Very sorry to hear of all the deaths, both people and tank. 

Sounds like life has been stressful for you indeed. :grouphug:

I LOVE me some nice Acans. 

How are the shrimp doing that you got?

• Like 1
ReefNewby82

The 2 bruun's are so cool.  They are always hungry and fun to look for in the tank.  They don't seem to like each other though and hang out on opposite sides of the tank.

Thanks for the kind words weets.  It's been crazy.  I didn't personally know my wife's 2 friends grandparents but it hits home and is sad nonetheless.  My best friends grandpa was like one to me also.  He had fast pace alsheimmer...so wild and sad.

In other news lol...the bongo shrimp is elusive.  And the remaining few asterinas I have seen have been on the glass.  Now normally I would flush them zoa munchers but now I gotta feed the bumble bee shrimp and bongo.  So against my reefing judgement I have been putting them behind jenn's lagoon reef rock in the back for them to find.  I also got like 60 micro and mini brittle stars for the bongo, as they eat the tubular sticky silia or whatever it is called off of those too.  I have seen Bingo the Bongo shrimp 3x at night so far in the couple of weeks.  Elusive guy.

How is the waterfall tank doing @Weetabix7?

6 hours ago, ReefNewby82 said:

The 2 bruun's are so cool.  They are always hungry and fun to look for in the tank.  They don't seem to like each other though and hang out on opposite sides of the tank.

Thanks for the kind words weets.  It's been crazy.  I didn't personally know my wife's 2 friends grandparents but it hits home and is sad nonetheless.  My best friends grandpa was like one to me also.  He had fast pace alsheimmer...so wild and sad.

In other news lol...the bongo shrimp is elusive.  And the remaining few asterinas I have seen have been on the glass.  Now normally I would flush them zoa munchers but now I gotta feed the bumble bee shrimp and bongo.  So against my reefing judgement I have been putting them behind jenn's lagoon reef rock in the back for them to find.  I also got like 60 micro and mini brittle stars for the bongo, as theyou eat the tubular sticky silia or whatever it is called off of those too.  I have seen Bingo the Bongo shrimp 3x at night so far in the couple of weeks.  Elusive guy.

How is the waterfall tank doing @Weetabix7?

Waterfall tank is doing great!!

I actually also got a bunch of Macroalgaes and re-set up an old 16 AIO tank with those. 

I completely understand what you mean about having circumstances like that hit home and hit hard. 

You're just moving along through life, doing your own normal thing and then-- WHAM-- right outta left field you get hit hard & it urns everything around. 

Really makes you re-evaluate things and see them in a completely different light, doesn't it?

This last December was like that for me. 

Got in a car accident & totalled my new car & in those few seconds between impact & the car coming to a stop, totally re-evaluated my life & where I was at in it. 

Then 3 days later a 30 yr old cousin died from cancer. 

Really brought home the fact that you just never know when stuff that's completely out of your control will happen & there's no point in waiting to do the things that really matter. 

So yeah, I get it. 

That's what ultimately brought me back here though and some good things are coming from it. 

If you let it, that can happen for you too. 

So anyway, tankwise, I really appreciate you taking those funky shrimp for a test run for me & helping me figure out what might work in my own systems. 

I could actually see the Bongo Shrimp working in my Waterfall just cause the sections are so tiny that it would be hard for him to hide, but the Bruuns sound much cooler. 

Here's hoping there's lots of good things to come for you, both in tanks and life!! 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, ReefNewby82 said:

It arrived!  Thoughts?

20170427_104955.jpg

Mine isn't here yet!!!

Pretty, though. 

Size medium?

And more importantly, what does Jenn think?

• Like 1
ReefNewby82

Jenn is stoked!  I got her tank all cleaned up after dinner, did a 5g water change with 78 degree Fritz...cleaned skimmer and changed out her sock.  Waited about 20 minutes And in went her new Fancy fin...

Quite the inquisitive lil gal...

8 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Mine isn't here yet!!!

Pretty, though. 

Size medium?

8 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Mine isn't here yet!!!

Pretty, though. 

Size medium?

Resized_20170427_204712.jpeg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Jenn is stoked!  I got her tank all cleaned up after dinner, did a 5g water change with 78 degree Fritz...cleaned skimmer and changed out her sock.  Waited about 20 minutes And in went her new Fancy fin...

Quite the inquisitive lil gal...

Resized_20170427_204712.jpeg

Perfect!!!

Looks just like the pic on the site. 

Mine got here late, after lights out, and has just hung out in the front of the tank overnight. 

• Like 1
ReefNewby82

So the long fin appears to be settling in well.  It is a bit of a spaz and just flutters all over the tank at the top of the water. Like it's looking for a way out.  It also has not eaten any frozen and appears to only be interested in pellet and flake.  Then it either spits it out or is too slow.  

I think the gene pool could be a little short on this particular long fin.  I may need to start teaching LD fish classes....

2 minutes ago, ReefNewby82 said:

So the long fin appears to be settling in well.  It is a bit of a spaz and just flutters all over the tank at the top of the water. Like it's looking for a way out.  It also has not eaten any frozen and appears to only be interested in pellet and flake.  Then it either spits it out or is too slow.  

I think the gene pool could be a little short on this particular long fin.  I may need to start teaching LD fish classes....

I'm kinda having the same thing happen!!

Mine will go for the small pellet they included with the fish, but then spits it back out. 

I'm wondering if it's too hard & not mushy enough. 

I'm getting ready to try feeding again, and I'm gonna soak the small pellets for 10-20 mins to soften it and add some small bits of defrosted frozen Mysis.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
ReefNewby82

Well miss fancy fins has been nibbling at bits of stuff off and on now.  Of all things she seems to just like plain old pellets and flakes from NLS.  She has picked at frozen pods, rotifers, ova, and mysis but eats some and then spits some out too.  

The yasha has came out more lately and it's so funny to see him wag his little tail when Jenn comes up to the tank lol.

20170506_175215.jpg

Weetabix7
59 minutes ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Well miss fancy fins has been nibbling at bits of stuff off and on now.  Of all things she seems to just like plain old pellets and flakes from NLS.  She has picked at frozen pods, rotifers, ova, and mysis but eats some and then spits some out too.  

The yasha has came out more lately and it's so funny to see him wag his little tail when Jenn comes up to the tank lol.

20170506_175215.jpg

Cute Yasha!!!

My fish does that same thing where he picks at stuff and spits it back out. 

I'm having a devil of a time getting him to eat. 

ReefNewby82
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Cute Yasha!!!

My fish does that same thing where he picks at stuff and spits it back out. 

I'm having a devil of a time getting him to eat. 

Have you tried any nutrimar OVA or rods eggs?  OVA seems to make things go crazy...kinda like LRS.  Almost all fish love that...i just don't feel like grinding up fish food after smelling like it 40 hours a week hehe.

In other news I got a new plate coral or 2.  Traded a few things off...or sold almost all SPS from my DT.  Jenn has a chunk of my superman digi and my fave psammacora.  Course they are both diggin Jenns holy water lagoon lol...

facebook951493653350415.jpg

20170504_213504.jpg

• Like 1
Weetabix7

Nice Plates!!!

It would be really nice to figure out what's so dang different about her tank....

On the food, I haven't tried those, but I have tried frozen Cyclopods and Fish Roe. 

• Like 1
ReefNewby82

Couple of crappy phone pics...been getting the tank slowly restocked after balancing everything back out.  

Need to change out gfo...but other than that perams are rocking still.  Just like they were before the SPS decided they wanted to go to stick heaven.

LPS is rocking now and I gave away most of my SPS the other day.  Even though it's a 5 year old reef system...it is having Benjamin Button syndrome and is now acting like a 6 month old system.  

Good bye SPS.....

Hello Rainbow large polyps...

20170510_194040.jpg

20170510_194107.jpg

• Like 1
ReefNewby82

Got the tank cleaned up and serviced before our local club meeting yesterday. Got it looking pretty good...now to keep it looking that way!

20170513_122447.jpg

• Like 1
On 5/10/2017 at 7:49 PM, ReefNewby82 said:

Couple of crappy phone pics...been getting the tank slowly restocked after balancing everything back out.  

Need to change out gfo...but other than that perams are rocking still.  Just like they were before the SPS decided they wanted to go to stick heaven.

LPS is rocking now and I gave away most of my SPS the other day.  Even though it's a 5 year old reef system...it is having Benjamin Button syndrome and is now acting like a 6 month old system.  

Good bye SPS.....

Hello Rainbow large polyps...

20170510_194040.jpg

20170510_194107.jpg

I actually love this. 

To be honest, I've never been a huge SPS person, other than the occasional Monti. 

THIS is my kinda tank!!

Really love the Goni's. 

• Like 1
ReefNewby82
4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I actually love this. 

To be honest, I've never been a huge SPS person, other than the occasional Monti. 

THIS is my kinda tank!!

Really love the Goni's. 

Thanks!  I kind of just went SPS for the challenge.  Now that i do this at work all day...SPS is less fun to take care of and monitor perams more vigorously lol.  And LPS gives us the movement that we lacked in that tank also.  May look for one more stunner piece and then be done and let it grow out.  the branch finger in the middle will be for 3 nice high end SPS in the future when the tank is stable again.

ReefNewby82

Getting a facade built for the tank...its a solid wood poplar facade with a bar top ledge.  

My carpenter will be putting a myriad ribbonwood veneer with removable panels on it to access the sump and equipment...

I think I will look really sharp when it's all done in a couple of weeks!

123951.jpg

Resized_20170510_184549.jpeg

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Getting a facade built for the tank...its a solid wood poplar facade with a bar top ledge.  

My carpenter will be putting a myriad ribbonwood veneer with removable panels on it to access the sump and equipment...

I think I will look really sharp when it's all done in a couple of weeks!

123951.jpg

Resized_20170510_184549.jpeg

Very, very nice!!

• Like 1
ReefNewby82
16 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Very, very nice!!

Thanks!  Lowe's just called and the veneer is in...off to go get this so I can get this delivered so it can be finished. Pretty excited for the revamp on what we look at everyday.   Just a standard black tank stand shell.  Ive removed the glass sides due to water damage.  So he will be reinforcing the stand shell as well.

The entry way will be partially finished after this.  Just need to have a matching ribbonwood component cabinet built and on to the next project!

My wifes fancy fin has started eating better but prefers flakes still it seems.  The yasha wags it's tail like a happy puppy now when it's hungry and has been out with the helfrichi and fancy.  Sosha loves rotifers and Cyclops that's for sure!