inTank Media Baskets

Reefnewby82's SPS/LPS mixed reef 58g

ReefNewby82

ReefNewby82

Long time listener, first time caller...

58g Oceanic Rimless 

32" RB photon

Aqua-C Remora Pro w/mag 3, Aqua-C waste container

8w UV sterilizer 

Tlf150 w/gfo

Run carbon in a bag  (panty hose) in sump where skimmer output/surface skimmer box is

Timor wrasse

Pygmy pink streak

Mated 4 year old snowflake pair

Small tomini bristle tooth 

Tailspot Blenny

Nassarius, turbos, ceriths, few scarlet, couple of limpet, nerites, 1x fighting conch, 1x blue tuxedo, 1x Pom Pom-less crab...

Been reefing for 6 years, had a freshwater tank of sorts since I was 12 years old.  Favorite FW was oddball tank with elephant nose, upside down cats, asilver arowana and dwarf zebra and clown pleco...

I've been taking care of the livestock and most of the warehouse at Premium Aquatics for almost 10 months now.  If any of you have ordered live or dry goods I have probably been one of the people involved in getting them to you!   Enjoy off and on pics and info on my tank if posting these few pictures were as easy as it appears.  

Cheers!

20170306_221504.jpg

20170304_192809.jpg

• Like 3
ReefNewby82

Morning guys/gal

Thanks for the comments.  I have had my ups and downs and more downs lately in this hobby lol.  So I started with that frag of superman digi in November of 2013.  It's been fragged so many times I couldn't tell ya lol.  

The clowns I bought at a local pet store as fancy clowns over 4 years ago.  I'll look for a picture of Angel the female later again.  

Here is a macro of the digi...

image002.jpg

• Like 2
ReefNewby82

Here is a picture before my macro algae infestation.  Had a cool display sump and some macro managed to make its way up and starve out SPS.  Had to break down tank multiple times to try and rid this.  Lost lots of colonies and trying to rebuild again.  

I fragged and saved/sold off what I could but was pretty much a 50% display loss.  As you can see it was quite full so by the time I noticed the macro encroachment it was too late.  

Made a bunch of changes to try and avoid this from ever happening again.  Also having a few strains of this macro analyzed to determine what may rid it as no inverts or fish meds with it.

20160615_210837.jpg

• Like 2
ReefNewby82

Lol this was back in 1995, had the guy for 5 years in a 75g.  He was about 21 inches long.  One day the flying fart knocker launched itself out of the tank to get a piece of krill.  Off to the local fish store it went...straight into a cooler with water after I caught it on the floor.

My dad and brother thought the debacle was absolutely hilarious as they watched from the foyer.  Thing was flopping around everywhere while the collie tried to eat it too...was a nightmare lol.

• Like 3
ReefNewby82

Here is a pic of Angel the Snowflake...she runs the reef.  I hand fed both of these clowns...they are very docile and not afraid of me being in the tank at all.  It's pretty cool...some.of the other clowns can be just downright Jerks at work so coming home to these beauties is nice. 

She doesn't have her nem anymore.  When I had the macro infestation she started moving and found her hanging from my giant ORA b.o.p. colony.  Sheee gonnnnn'

IMG_7844-2.jpg

• Like 4

Wow. 

This tank is amazing. 

Please let us know when you find out what that Macro is/was. 

Also, I love Premium Aquatics!!!

• Like 1
ReefNewby82
8 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow. 

This tank is amazing. 

Please let us know when you find out what that Macro is/was. 

Also, I love Premium Aquatics!!!

Thanks a lot Weets!  Its weird...the macro looks like a cross between bryopsis and feather calurpa...it runs under the sand, under and onto rocks, and made it back after 2x tank breakdowns, new rock, etc.  I've beaten bryopsis, cyano, dinos, bubble and hair algae and all the normal BS.  For this macro somehow to be my nemesis just floors me...

Thanks for the comment on PA...we sure do our best!

It's always the things you don't expect, y'know?

That does sound like a dangerous Macro, from your description. 

The best live rock I have EVER gotten came from Premium Aquatics. 

It's been a few years but I've never forgotten how wonderful you guys were to work with and how helpful, from start to finish. 

I asked for the absolute freshest, most life filled Pacific LR possible and I got rock that actually had some Zoas and a Paly on it, as well as Macro (not the evil kind!), hh snails, crabs, you name it. 

Both your customer service and product were top notch.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ReefNewby82 said:

Thanks a lot Vlangel...have loved reading up on your horsies over the years!

O wow, I feel honored that you have read the threads on my seahorses.  I hope to return the honor by reading your thread.  I absolutely adore my ponies but there are so many things that I miss because they either can't thrive in a seahorse tank or they are down right incompatible!  That is when it is nice to still get a 'fix' by reading a fellow reefer's thread. :-)  I enjoy your sense of humor too, ha ha!

• Like 1
ReefNewby82
32 minutes ago, vlangel said:

O wow, I feel honored that you have read the threads on my seahorses.  I hope to return the honor by reading your thread.  I absolutely adore my ponies but there are so many things that I miss because they either can't thrive in a seahorse tank or they are down right incompatible!  That is when it is nice to still get a 'fix' by reading a fellow reefer's thread. :-)  I enjoy your sense of humor too, ha ha!

I have read up on most of the premium members threads here....Lawn, Kat, braap, Jack - does he still have a tank ;v) , pop tart Kimber, yours, weets, Harry the coral hoarder, you know...

We have RG seahorses here at PA and i ship those out and sell those locally on Saturdays.  Love watching these little guys...i set up some seahorse feeders from Saltcritters and they love hitching to that and mowing down mysis daily.

4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

It's always the things you don't expect, y'know?

That does sound like a dangerous Macro, from your description. 

The best live rock I have EVER gotten came from Premium Aquatics. 

It's been a few years but I've never forgotten how wonderful you guys were to work with and how helpful, from start to finish. 

I asked for the absolute freshest, most life filled Pacific LR possible and I got rock that actually had some Zoas and a Paly on it, as well as Macro (not the evil kind!), hh snails, crabs, you name it. 

Both your customer service and product were top notch.

Thanks!!  yeah PA has some nice rock in now, i can only imagine the different kinds over the years they have sold.  We have some really nice ReefGen Maricultured Marco in right now that looks really nice, and some smaller cool Fiji rocks.  Love being able to play with this stuff whenever I want...but then i get home and stare at my 3 tanks and dont want to work on them anymore lol

• Like 1
ReefNewby82

Here is a pic you can see the digi on the underneath side that has signs of necrosis.  I pulled this and all other corals out and plucked this stuff with a pair of  tweezers.  

The ORA gbn behind it has almost fully succumbed to some algae issue, but some of these corals including this one perished due to the tank re-set.  

You can see Pinky and Sonic the mooches behind the male snowflake in the pic.  Musta been feeding time...Pinky starting to look preggers 

20170305_124808.jpg

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ReefNewby82 said:

I have read up on most of the premium members threads here....Lawn, Kat, braap, Jack - does he still have a tank ;v) , pop tart Kimber, yours, weets, Harry the coral hoarder, you know...

We have RG seahorses here at PA and i ship those out and sell those locally on Saturdays.  Love watching these little guys...i set up some seahorse feeders from Saltcritters and they love hitching to that and mowing down mysis daily.

Thanks!!  yeah PA has some nice rock in now, i can only imagine the different kinds over the years they have sold.  We have some really nice ReefGen Maricultured Marco in right now that looks really nice, and some smaller cool Fiji rocks.  Love being able to play with this stuff whenever I want...but then i get home and stare at my 3 tanks and dont want to work on them anymore lol

Wish I could see the smaller, cool Fiji rocks. 

I have a neat Pico Waterfall setup right now that I am really enjoying, but getting rock for it and aquascaping it is extremely challenging due to the small size and shape of it.

• Like 1
ReefNewby82

Pico waterfall!  That sounds cool...

You can always send me an email to livestock@premiumaquatics.com and I can shoot ya a couple of pics if ya lemme know what you're looking for or trying to accomplish...

There is plenty of live rockage to sift through haha

20160613_112213.jpg

• Like 1

I think I'd be in heaven if I could spend an entire day rummaging through those rock tubs.....

I may just do that, thanks!! :happy:

(knowing me, it might take me a couple days to get around to it, lol.)

• Like 1
ReefNewby82

It's cool the stuff I find in there.  About 2 weeks ago I was sifting through for a certain size of pukani.  I picked up and turned over an old clam shell and a weird flounder or clingfish jumped out of it onto me.  Talk about spazzing out...thing looked like a flying alien coming towards me.  Once I figured out what it was I was good...but man I was so weirded out lol

• Like 1

Hilarious!!

I woulda jumped & shrieked, then laughed my head off at myself once I realized what it was. 

I think quality LR is like Magic Rock. 

You add it to water and then watch to see what kind of amazing, unexpected lifeforms will show up. 

Pure MAGIC. :wizard:

• Like 1
ReefNewby82

Yep thats what happened.  I showed the PT worker and he got a kick out of it as well.  Some amusing and not so amusing things have happened in that room this last year lol