Top Shelf Aquatics

Lol yea I hate trying to explain the difrence between salt and fresh and why they the 2 pairs of clowns and all cant be in one tank. They.usualy look at me like I'm dumb or have a second head.

I found a nice fish store outside of new Orleans today. They had nice trachs at decent prices. I found a conjoined trach that has two difrent color polyps that partly share a skeleton about 1/2 way down where they are joined. It was priced the same and they didnt charge any more for it but its basicly like getting 2 tracks each even has multiple mouths.the best pic I could get was with the flash last night. It's hard to see but the blueish turquoise one has some little orange streaks that show under th ed LEDs the green one has some sort of pinky yellowish stripes all around the edges that shows under the LEDs tio.

20190526_080919.jpg

• 7 months later...

Went to the ER yesterday morning so that was fun....not. I'm still kind of week and not feeling great been lurking all day and decided this tank needs some updates..... Unfortunately the conjoined trachy did not make it few days after I posted the last update it seemed to just start melting at one edge and very quickly spread across one head to the other. Perhaps rtn? Perhaps it got dammaged on the way home. I'm not sure I tried to save it but was not sucessfull🥺🥺🥺 My other old trachy is still just fine and continues hosting my clowns so I dont think anything in my tank caused it to die. I still have my cats eye coral but have difficulty getting it to eat anything its shrunk up rather pathetically but still alive. This tank and my 10 are comming back after a 2-3 month slump where unfortunately I neglected my tanks rather badly I hate to admit. I have an uggly frag rack In at the moment I have heavily fraged this tank and my 10g over the past few days and am donating the frags to a friend with a large tank (200+) that got cooked by a malfunctioning heater a while back working together we saved about 65% of the coral and all but 2 fish. Alot of her colonies came from my tanks originally Ill be sending some more frags her way next week. I just rescaped today with multiple sit down breaks and everything is pissed off when it calms down in a few daysI will do an actual update with pics of the new scape but here it is the other night post first fragging and pree rescape and second frag with the rack. My camera hates my evening lighting.

20200104_201741.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Rescaped the tank a bit after loosing sevral of my trachs to stn started after loosing power a while back when the tanks got too cold. Ontop of that my api test kits were garbage and I was having ph and alk swings that did them in I think. I got all new salifert test kits now. I moves the remaining trachs and chalices to my penensula tank. I want to add a large leather maby a fiji yellow toadstool or a large green polyp to the open left side area where the trachs were. It looks quite empty right now. Added some pom pom macro waiting on some c prolifera and sodium now. One of my rfa babies at the bottom.

20210509_122205.jpg

20210509_122334.jpg

20210509_122051.jpg

20210509_121731.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive had it a long time. Probly between 8 and 10 years I would guess. It was a maricultured piece. When I first got it it lost about 95% of its tissue from shipping stress. It was literaly shipped in inside a damp box in a bag in another box along with with a bunch of live rock and one other gorg that totaly disintegrated. I almost gave up on it. I kept cutting away dammaged tissue and it keped dying I finaly sucked it up and in a last ditch effort cut away about 1/2 the live " healthy" tissue that remained untill only about 1/2 inch or less area was left. I only cut away the tissue not the fibrous skeleton structure. I was amazed when it actualy started to recover and in about 2 months had almost fully regrown over the structure. Now I have to keep pruning it back. I'm trying to encourage it to grow more outward than upward lol. If I don't prune it the branches start to grow along the top of the water.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found a big chonk Collinista snail. Alot people have these and they are usualy super small like pin head or doubble that in size at most. I've herd they can grow to about 1/4 inch but never seen one that size untill I found this one scooting across my glass. This guy is actualy just a bit larger than 1/4 inch I have had these guys for ages and never seen any this size. Look at the feelers creepy looking cant see that on the little ones.  It must have been growing out in my tank from a tiny one.

20210602_220457.jpg

20210602_215910.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The square lps ("platygyra") in the

Left rear of the rock structure is temporary it was sloughing tissue immeadiatly after I recived it. I think shipping stress. If I can get it to recover I'll put it back in the penensula tank but it's not looking good. I didnt want to give up on it so I stuck it in here with the lower flow and lighting to see what I could do with it.

20210615_111852.jpg

20210615_111624.jpg

20210615_111802.jpg

20210615_111433.jpg

20210615_111244.jpg

20210615_111331.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Have not updated this in a while heres some fts with the new scape...I really need to leave it alone lol. I actualy like it this time. Just a simple single island style scape. That's a closed up chunk of encrusting pink gorg on the left wall a lighter and pinker one than the one on that rock on the right side of the scape but its closed. I think a snail crawled across it. Theres a hermet anoying the green toadstool at the top by walking all on it too.

And big clam is getting bigger! 😍

20220110_172859.jpg

20220110_172750.jpg

20211213_135826.jpg

20211213_135642.jpg

• Like 4

I love how everything is on the rock and the sand bed is clean.  Most of my rfa will not stay on the rock.  I pick a spot with a great hole to put their foot, but they still move to the sand.  I agree leave the new scape as you have it.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure what to make of what I just found in the standard 20. A rfa had walked off and has been MIA for a bit now. It showed up stuck to my clam surrounded by a pile of about 30 babies some of them are quite large the nem appears to be in distress and some more large ones came out it's all shrunk up and fell off the clam there is a perfectly round hole in the center of the foot and I can see straight through and out the mouth. It's still sticky but will most likely die. Some of the babies appear fine others look bleached and pale. 
I dont know of any kind of physical dammage done to the nem prior. I doubt the babies dammaged it. All other nems in the tank appear normal. I'm not sure what caused this it's a real mystery.
I collected the babies I guess I'll try to grow them out.

Now I have even more "frags" to deal with in here. Tank is curently holding about 20 various frags on trying to re home but the green Kenya have grown to small colony size.

Congrats on the babies.  I would move them away from mom if possible.  If she is dying she will turn to a glob of mucus like stuff.

I alredy scooped them up and put them in a container in the tank the mom is trying to stick still as long as she is sticky I'll keep her unless she starts to rot she dosnt smell yet but I'm still fairly sure its gona die.

My poor clam was covered in them. And now my males are spewing gametes again...more baby nems...cant wait to get the frags and babies out of this tank.

Sooo many frags in here cant wait to start my frag tank when it comes in. Got the "replacement" for the anemone crab that came in missing limbs.

The female clown Ace did not like the bag and watched it very closely while the male Phantom kept his distance.

20220512_134114.thumb.jpg.ea1c1594567e04eac69a038f0cc927fe.jpg

The newest tank mate her name is Ogre.

The one I got last time that was missing legs and a claw is Goblin she is much smaller and hides alot. Ogre has much sparcer spots than goblin too makes them easy to tell apart. Shes been checking out the realestate but hasnt committed to anything yet. Goblin likes to hide in my gsp.

20220512_160225.jpg.043688b5c21ebbce9f8e2867221bc29f.jpg

I caught Phantom rubbing on the clams mantle and Ace was nuzzling the shell I think they are hosting him now...Its not reacting to them much infact the derasa is so chilli can pick him up and he only half way closes. Hes not atached to anything for a long time not even trying. Seems like hes healthy though.

The crocea in my other tank is allways closing up if it even sees a shadow.

• Like 3