SaltCritters.com

Cloons's 45 Deep Blue

cloons411

I've been out of the hobby for 4 years and got the bug about a month ago. Well I visited a LFS and found a tank I had to have. So I came home with it. 

It's a 45 gallon peninsula tank 36x24x12

20170317112022_IMG_0458_zpszgnxxosf.jpg

Yesterday my rock showed up from Billy's Reef Connection. I ordered 25lbs of rock and 10lbs of rubble. Also received my return pump. I ordered a Jecod dcs-4000.

Stand got built today. It still needs to be skinned.  The tank is being used to separate the living room from the dining room.

IMG_20170318_133619_zpsxgi5wcby.jpg

I also played around with my aquascape and I think I have decided on something. Well until I walk passed it and think something needs to be changed. 

Top down

20170318180028_IMG_0468_zpsquccwp54.jpg

Living room side

20170318175931_IMG_0464_zps02s9pq7p.jpg

Front

20170318175910_IMG_0463_zpsq2v9abat.jpg

20170318180113_IMG_0469_zpss2tqmffn.jpg

Sump is a 40b that still needs baffles put in. 

Skimmer is a Reef Octopus classic 110-INT

I'm still undecided on lights and flow pump. 

Lights will be LED and needs to be controllable. It will only be lighting an area 24x24.

Pump needs to be controllable as well. 

My helper throughout the day...Atlas

20170317113252_IMG_0459_zpsr8mlrovp.jpg

• Like 2

Got my lights today. A local posted these for sale at a price I couldn't pass up. 

IMG_20170324_193732_zpsnhn7cng9.jpg

Also ordered my heater, powerheads, sand, and a temperature controller

• Like 3

My only plans for stocking are:

Divinci clowns x2
Potter's angel
Yasha goby/pistol shrimp 
Orchid dottyback
Orange spotted blenny

Corals will be whatever catches my eye. I'm not too set on this yet. 

1 hour ago, Pinner Reef said:

I like where this tank is headed... Following along

Atlas is a pimp

Yes he is and I think he knows it too. 

52 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

really nice. Love the peninsulas. On my wish list for down the road. Will be watching this.

This is my second tank that has been viewable on three sides. I love it because it's an added challenge to make something that is pleasing to the eye from more than just one angle. 

• Like 1
Just now, SeaFurn said:

Looks great!  What brand of tank is that AIO peninsula?  Following!

It's not an AIO, it's a drilled overflow from Deep Blue

A few packages showed up today. I got a BRS filter sock holder and a couple socks, finnex hmo-200 heater, and jebao pp-8 powerheads. 

IMG_20170329_183103_zps84modekq.jpg

I have had good results with this model heater in the past. It will be run through a bayite BTC201 for added protection.

I'm still waiting on my sand to show up (ordered Friday and still no confirmation that it has shipped) and I still have to get a ro/di unit and salt. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My sand finally came in yesterday, the bags at some point popped and were dry. Well today I ran to a LFS and picked up a bag that wasn't dried out. I don't know if the ones I ordered were a complete loss but I figured it couldn't hurt to have another bag on hand. 

I installed an ro/di system tonight. It's purging right now and I'll start collecting water tomorrow to start filling the tank. It will have water by the end of the weekend. 

Just now, Type-H20 said:

Really like those tank dimensions.  Will be following along...good luck with the build!

Thank you, I love the dimensions as well. The only way it could be better is if it were rimless. Oh well

Added the water and sand today. It is officially up and running finally. Still cloudy but has cleared up a little since adding the sand and should be clear by morning at this rate. 

IMG_20170408_225013_zpscidmvwwo.jpg

IMG_20170408_225019_zpsrutv5irh.jpg

Haha, I just got done filling my new freshwater setup, an 80 gallon Deep Blue frag tank tonight too!   That top down look of your tank is cool.  Tanks without a center brace just look better; that's one of the things I liked about my 40B.  

BTW, are those lights AI Prime?

22 minutes ago, Type-H20 said:

Haha, I just got done filling my new freshwater setup, an 80 gallon Deep Blue frag tank tonight too!   That top down look of your tank is cool.  Tanks without a center brace just look better; that's one of the things I liked about my 40B.  

BTW, are those lights AI Prime?

I would have gotten the 80 if the place  that I purchased mine from had one in stock. I love these shorter tanks, no more wet armpits. Yes those are AI primes. I couldn't pass up the price I picked them up for and seem to put out a pretty good amount of light. 

Came home from my birthday dinner with my parents to a mostly clear tank. It's still a little hazy but looking a lot better.  Once I get everything the way I want it I will be skinning the stand and hiding the wires. For now it's all left out so I can adjust if needed. 

IMG_20170409_184048_zpspa8rdicy.jpg

IMG_20170409_184113_zps1zupv8tb.jpg

IMG_20170409_183657_zpsptgnvhl0.jpg

IMG_20170409_184139_zps6kvqjhda.jpg

• Like 1
CBernhardt23

Nice tank.. Was looking at one myself.. Really want one that doesnt have that overflow though.. Do you know the measurements of the overflow?

35 minutes ago, CBernhardt23 said:

Nice tank.. Was looking at one myself.. Really want one that doesnt have that overflow though.. Do you know the measurements of the overflow?

7" x 10-1/2" 

I'm happy with my purchase. I would do it again in a heart beat

Pinner Reef

in the top down pic... The top left corner needs to be less "scattered" and either an island or another "arm" of the main scape. Also that one rock in the middle looks lonely...:tears:

only critique I'd have for it though and I'm usually pretty picky when it comes to scapes so good work.