Pod Your Reef

Old Man Sea's Marineland Profile 5.6 gallon pico reef - One Year Birthday - February FTS

OldManSea

4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

How's your little Marineland pico reef doing these days @OldManSea?

Thanks for asking.  Still trucking along.  Getting ready to pull the now-too-large green Monti cap as it is shading everything.  I think I have a good replacement for it in similar color but no shading.  Once I make the change later this week I will post an update.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Thanks for asking!  Work has been very busy, making three marine tanks too difficult to maintain.  Plus, the ricordeas and acans in the 5.6 gallon grew so much that they were being compressed against the sides.  In September, I combined the denizens of the 5.6 gallon and the creative contest pico bowl into an IM10.  I will write a formal build thread this week.  The build was simple though:  I just took the rocks with their inhabitants from the 5.6 and placed them into the new IM10, then gathered most of the inhabitants for the pico bowl.  I did give the mangroves to a fellow reefer, and I placed the rock flower anemones into the Red Sea Max 170.  Over the past two months I have moved the inhabitants around and I think I am getting close to having them where I want them.  I have added a few new corals since there is more space.  

Here are a couple of very poor FTS shot with my cell phone, one from the front

616105529_IM10FTS20181125.thumb.jpg.a355a0e327cedcf7d0345ce2eb6991f8.jpg

and one top down:

336990312_IM10topdown20181125.thumb.jpg.cb0dd2ac45ccbd2ea4186be8b26e286e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
andrewmedic08

Love the portrait I just started one in December 2018. I would love to see your filter setup while you had this tank if you don’t mind. I have the lid on mine and a 30w led that I run 100% blue and 60% white wondering if you have any suggestions 

C9A6A376-5C0F-4B3E-B9CE-617A64E99A45.jpeg

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Both systems combined into a beautiful setup with the IM10 @OldManSea!

What do you think of keeping mangroves, now that you've tried your hand at it awhile? Are they worth the trouble?

Thank you, they do work well together.

I liked the mangroves.  When I took down the bowl one had 4 leaves, the others 3 each.  Their roots were getting very large though, forming tangles behind the rock.  I have seen some very nice cubes set up around big mangroves.  I would like to try one of those - saved some pix.  Too many good ideas, not enough time.  I keep looking at the profile telling myself it would make an awesome gorgonian tank … one day!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, andrewmedic08 said:

Love the portrait I just started one in December 2018. I would love to see your filter setup while you had this tank if you don’t mind. I have the lid on mine and a 30w led that I run 100% blue and 60% white wondering if you have any suggestions 

C9A6A376-5C0F-4B3E-B9CE-617A64E99A45.jpeg

Nice start!  I also kept the glass top, certainly cuts down on evaporation.  I had a Nanobox Minitide on this tank.  It gave great light.  It was set at about 20 K so probably not too different than what you are doing, perhaps less white.  Since I did "100%" water changes every week (used a baster to bomb the sand and rocks, then pulled the water down to about 2 inches from the bottom to avoid sucking up sand, then filled it and did that again) I didn't worry too much about filtration.  I got a more powerful pump, about 150 gph nominal and used one of the rotating heads.  I had floss in the right side that I checked every couple of days and removed as necessary - completely at water change time.  At first I ran carbon and gfo since phosphates were high but after a few months nitrate and phosphate were zero, so I began to dose nitrate and phosphate at water change and removed the carbon and gfo - with the large water changes they were not necessary.  I think the tank did so well since the water was renewed so often, no time to build up too many noxious things.  The only real advice I have is to make sure that you don't put things along the side that will grow far outward as their is not enough room.  I would like to set mine back up with little or no rock, just some rubble in the rear compartment and make it a gorgonian tank. 

Good luck!

• Like 1
andrewmedic08

I have floss and chemi blue and some chaeto with a heater bio rings and a 120gph pump. Everything is stable. I do 50% WC once a week so far I love it. Look for easy colorful coral now but want fairly easy stuff. Any reconditions? 

8 hours ago, andrewmedic08 said:

Thank you for your input. Very much appreciated. Thank you for any tips

It looks like your tank is off to a nice start.  Do you have plans for an upgrade?  I ask because three fish of that size is a pretty heavy bioload for a 5 and clowns can get territorial as they get bigger.  I'd suggest at least 10-15 gallons for the clowns.