Coral Vue Hydros

Advice for making sump for 12 gallon

zhark

Right now im only using an HOB and a air pump skimmer as filtration for my 12 gallon reef. Obviously, it is insufficient and looking to improve it, perhaps with a proper skimmer and refugium. I can't drill any holes in my tank so I will probably have to purchase an overflow sump box, how do they work? Also what would be the 'optimal' sump size for a 12 gallon tank, and what sort of chambers or section would be vital e.g. skimmer/refugium etc.? 

THANKS

My tank is a bit bigger that yours (16 gallons) and i am also using HOB skimmer, but recently decided to create 7,5 gallon sump. I ordered overflow box, and return pump, hope to receive them soon. Will seal the sump this weekend with chamber for refugium. I'll keep you informed how it works as it's new for me too, will take some photos as well.

When I ran a 15g tank I had a hang on back overflow from eshoppes, worked perfectly and quietly. I ran it down to a 5g sump I made myself with acrylic and silicone in a standard 5g tank. There are plenty of designs out there but I like to keep it simple; 3 chambers, 1st for drain, protein skimmer and manual filtration (like socks), 2nd/middle chamber for refugium, 3rd chamber for return pump. and I like having a bubble trap between 2nd and 3rd chambers. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't make baffles out of acrylic and hold them in place with silicone, I'm on my second sump made that way and it's going on 4 years old and still as strong as day 1.

i have a 12 gallon as well and am looking to add a 37 gallon standard tank under my stand for the sump. I did build my stand with the thought of upgrading to a 40 br in the future tho. Any sump where you can fit the skimmer, filter sock, and return pump would be good for your tank.

Archived