SaltCritters.com

Barton's 5g Pico powered by AI Prime HD

mbarton2010

6 hours ago, Mkbarton said:

So I'm back from a 2 week vacation with my girl in Washington state. Had my mom look after my tank. Came back to everything alive except my hammer. It must have fallen over in the sand and got covered by the pistol shrimp. There was a little hair algae and some cyano due to two weeks of feeding and no water changes. But I've done a few water changes and changed the carbon and added chemipure. 

Welcome back!!

SaltyBuddha
17 hours ago, Mkbarton said:

So I'm back from a 2 week vacation with my girl in Washington state. Had my mom look after my tank. Came back to everything alive except my hammer. It must have fallen over in the sand and got covered by the pistol shrimp. There was a little hair algae and some cyano due to two weeks of feeding and no water changes. But I've done a few water changes and changed the carbon and added chemipure. 

Glad everything else made it!

I had a similar thing happen when I left my tank with my wife. Had a montipora cap sitting on the sand acclimating. Nerite snail decided to push half of it into on of my acans. The acan gave no quarter.

• Like 1
mbarton2010

So that was just some quick pics. I've changed some stuff in the past 10 minutes lol. Been planning on this for awhile. Removed the frag rack. Attached all pieces of sps to the rock. Glued all my zoas to the Gorg rock to create a true zoa island. And fed the tank so I'll add more pics when it clears

• Like 3

Just read through the whole thread! Tank looks great man! 

Besides kalk, you aren't dosing anything else? I want to try my hand with [another] birdsnest or monti, but don't want to starve it of nutrients. 

• Thanks 1
mbarton2010
59 minutes ago, jstj0sh said:

Just read through the whole thread! Tank looks great man! 

Besides kalk, you aren't dosing anything else? I want to try my hand with [another] birdsnest or monti, but don't want to starve it of nutrients. 

I actually haven't dosed kalk in like a month. Didn't want my mom to worry about it while I was away. I'm going to start back today probably. That's the only thing I'm dosing. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Added some more sand to the tank today. The rocks were starting to get unstable from sucking up sand during water changes. Clouded up pretty good but it's clearing now. Also bought a really nice gorg for $30. The LFS just called it a sea fan so I'm not sure what species it is. They did say it was photosynthetic 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Mkbarton said:

Added some more sand to the tank today. The rocks were starting to get unstable from sucking up sand during water changes. Clouded up pretty good but it's clearing now. Also bought a really nice gorg for $30. The LFS just called it a sea fan so I'm not sure what species it is. They did say it was photosynthetic 

Pics?  I just got two from LiveAquaria, a Grube's gorgonian and a purple Hicksomella sp.

10 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

picked up a used biocube 8 :huh: thinking of a really neat tank to build. I'm thinking either a mantis tank or maybe seahorses?

Mantis!

Nothing wrong with a successful trip away. Do the cube right and dump the lid and cut away the plastic for that "rimless" look. Tank is looking good. Better than mine by far. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mkbarton said:

Picked an orange frogspawn. Gonna get pics when it opens completely 

Looking forward to pics of that, I love unique Euphyllia corals!!!

I like that new Gorgonian as well, looking forward to seeing what you do with the cube. 

2 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

Power just went out. Luckily I was awake still. Just hooked my bubbler up. Have D batteries for days

This damn hurricane Harvey lol

Stay safe!  Hope things turn out well for you, hurricanes are no joke lol.