inTank Media Baskets

Barton's 5g Pico powered by AI Prime HD

mbarton2010

mbarton2010

Just started my first reef in over four years. 

Tank : fluval Sea 5g AIO

Light: Current USA Marine LED

Flow: AQ600 return, Jebao SW-2

Got pretty good live rock. Palys, zoas, and a shroom on it. Might get another chunk tomorrow. 

Planning on on stocking a clown fish or two  and soft corals for now until it gets established. Dosed with a bottle of some sort of turbo start bacteria( idk the LFS gave it to me) 

well here is is my first FTS 

image.jpg

image.jpg

The last pic is some sort of sps that's encrusted on the rock 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

That is NICE rock!!! 

Where did you get it?

I wouldn't suggest a Clownfish in a tank this small, it's asking for trouble. 

Some of the small Gobies are your best bet, along with some cool inverts. 

Soft Corals are great to start with. 

• Like 2
mbarton2010
12 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

That is NICE rock!!! 

Where did you get it?

I wouldn't suggest a Clownfish in a tank this small, it's asking for trouble. 

Some of the small Gobies are your best bet, along with some cool inverts. 

Soft Corals are great to start with. 

I got it from That Aquarium Place near my house (actual store name ?) it came from the owners personal tank. I'll look into some small gobies. Need to get a CUC soon. Probably gonna have to put a fan browning near it because the tank temp has stayed around 83-84 all day and I live in Houston so it's only going to get hotter. 

Im going to try to rig my ATO up tonight or in the morning. I have everything from my old 14g but I'm gonna have to rig up a holder for the float switch

Looks awesome. That last sps looking thing looks like a toilet seat. I wouldn't do two clowns in this tank. I've got a 5 gallon and have a sail fin barnacle blenny in it...coolest little guy ever. Although I disagree with Weetabix7. I think you could fit a clown happily as long as you were VERY precise on water changes.

• Like 1
mbarton2010

So got a clown and a few frags in. Setup my ATO and my timer for the light. Got one of those fans that hang on the side to keep it cool. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Mkbarton said:

So got a clown and a few frags in. Setup my ATO and my timer for the light. Got one of those fans that hang on the side to keep it cool. 

Nice!! I've got a black/white clown in my spec v. He's doing very well. Can't wait to see pics!

Oh wait, I see that little dude hiding!

mbarton2010

So my clown decided it wanted to jump out last night when I turned my room light on! I picked him and put him back. He is eating swimming just fine now. I guess I startled him!

• Like 3
mbarton2010
Just now, SaltyBuddha said:

Man, glad you were there to lend him a hand! I'll be following along for the ride

Me too! I have the stock lid kind of on it a little now. I'm gonna rig up a lid tomorrow that will fit with my ATO float switch on the tank

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha
6 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

Me too! I have the stock lid kind of on it a little now. I'm gonna rig up a lid tomorrow that will fit with my ATO float switch on the tank

Sounds like dart is a fitting name. Definitely a good idea to add a lid. I'll be including a lid on my tank. If not for the fish jumping, for my curious (aka naughty) feline friend

mbarton2010

So what should I make the lid out of? I'm thinking  eggcrate since I have a huge sheet but I feel like I could get a sheet of glass cut for kinda cheap 

Single clown is fine in this tank, not sure what all the fuss is about. You could have a second fish in there if you wanted but your bioload will be pretty high.

Make a DIY mesh lid. Eggcrate holes may be a bit too big. I don't remember what the stuff is called but it's like a metal frame that you roll spline into to hold mesh.

I took the mesh from a basic laundry bag, cut my lid out to size and rolled spline in to hold the mesh in place. Ez pz.

SaltyBuddha

You can use window screen frames from Lowe's or home depot. Marine depot has clear mesh that you can press into it with the rubber spline like Nommoreamo suggested. IM has little clips you can use to hold it in place. It looks like IM uses regular window screen frames too lol

mbarton2010

A surprise mushroom has popped out of my LR

image.jpg

T

image.jpg

Torch is opening good. Just tested Params.

ph: 8.2

Ammonia: 0 

nitrate : 0

nitrite: 0

goimg to do the calc and other stuff when I do a water change to get a base line 

• Like 2

Yes, it should be. I'm using the 12w on my bowl.  I still haven't figured out how to take pictures under that light yet though! It's quite a challenge! 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Mkbarton said:

So I just ordered the API 24w True blue tuna. That should be sufficient huh?

Yes, and you can put it in any socket. 

I've had to have mine suspended kinda high over the "tank", it's actually pretty strong, but I really like the way it looks. 

14 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Yes, it should be. I'm using the 12w on my bowl.  I still haven't figured out how to take pictures under that light yet though! It's quite a challenge! 

Yes, I haven't figured that out yet either, that's next on my list!!

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

So I'll just stick it into any old fixture with a socket? 

Yes...the bulb is somewhat heavy. I'm using a gooseneck style fixture and the bulb weighs it down a few inches. At some point I may need to figure out how to strengthen/support the gooseneck. I've seen some people using drafting style fixtures which seem like they would work well with these bulbs.