Innovative Marine Aquariums

Barton's 5g Pico powered by AI Prime HD

mbarton2010

mbarton2010

ive counted 12 rics on the rock, with a few more getting ready to form from little pieces left behind from moving around

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

ive counted 12 rics on the rock, with a few more getting ready to form from little pieces left behind from moving around

Ric jackpot! :lol:

• Like 1
On 5/21/2017 at 11:25 PM, WV Reefer said:

I use a small Tetra heater on The Creep's Cube.  (It's the kind you can't adjust.) 

I have one of those.  I thought it was a great idea, but it never worked.  The light is on, but it just never changed the temp in my 5 gallon new salt water making bucket.  

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Type-H20 said:

I have one of those.  I thought it was a great idea, but it never worked.  The light is on, but it just never changed the temp in my 5 gallon new salt water making bucket.  

I'm of the opinion that most aquarium heaters are shit. Can't believe they haven't made something better by now. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I'm of the opinion that most aquarium heaters are shit. Can't believe they haven't made something better by now. 

Absolutely.  The more I read the more I worry about that crappy 20-50 dollar component that can do so much damage (I won't say the F word).  I lost a whole school of Glowlight tetras, some ottos and cory cat's and a great Betta that had an almost Oscar like abitlity to recognize and react when I came over, due to a heater malfunction that basically cooked everything when I was at work.  Just writing this, makes sick (nothing should go like that) and reminds me that I really should invest in an Apex.  

• Like 2
mbarton2010

So I might get a 10g to upgrade this tank. Should I just get a 10g pet smart tank or maybe the IM10. My LFS has lots of IM10s in stock. I have an AC50 HOB in my spare parts tub. I have a bag of Live sand and I would grab a few more pieces of good live rock. Could I just add all the rock and sand from this tank without any repercussions 

12 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

So I might get a 10g to upgrade this tank. Should I just get a 10g pet smart tank or maybe the IM10. My LFS has lots of IM10s in stock. I have an AC50 HOB in my spare parts tub. I have a bag of Live sand and I would grab a few more pieces of good live rock. Could I just add all the rock and sand from this tank without any repercussions 

Do you like tanks that are wider than they are long, or taller than they are wide?  I find that I mostly like a bit wider which is why I haven't seriously considered the IM10 (though it is a nice tank!).  If you were getting live rock I'd probably let it cycle a bit before adding your livestock to it--check for no ammonia or nitrites before adding your good stuff.  If the rock is cycled, you would probably be ok to add your current stuff, you might get a little mini-cycle but nothing really worrisome--just like a tank transfer.

• Like 2
mbarton2010
5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Do you like tanks that are wider than they are long, or taller than they are wide?  I find that I mostly like a bit wider which is why I haven't seriously considered the IM10 (though it is a nice tank!).  If you were getting live rock I'd probably let it cycle a bit before adding your livestock to it--check for no ammonia or nitrites before adding your good stuff.  If the rock is cycled, you would probably be ok to add your current stuff, you might get a little mini-cycle but nothing really worrisome--just like a tank transfer.

What about getting some dry pukani

Just now, Mkbarton said:

What about getting some dry pukani

I've read the dry pukani has a bunch of dead sponges and stuff in all the holes, I definitely wouldn't use it without curing separately.  You could look into the reef saver rock BRS carries, I am actually going to try adding a couple pieces of that after I soak and clean it.  It's mined so it doesn't have a ton of organic material on it.

• Like 2
mbarton2010

IMG_0259.thumb.JPG.1ffd920a8e59dcc7b80aa3a9b85a6dbf.JPGIMG_0258.thumb.JPG.4265fc25da6728b1bada598d063fe357.JPG

With and without gel filter. Some things are a little angry because I did some adjusting and moving things around

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

IMG_0259.thumb.JPG.1ffd920a8e59dcc7b80aa3a9b85a6dbf.JPGIMG_0258.thumb.JPG.4265fc25da6728b1bada598d063fe357.JPG

With and without gel filter. Some things are a little angry because I did some adjusting and moving things around

I think it's looking really good. :wub:

....and dry Pukani has a ton of shit on it/inside it.  I busted open a few pieces and almost gagged.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I've read the dry pukani has a bunch of dead sponges and stuff in all the holes, I definitely wouldn't use it without curing separately.  You could look into the reef saver rock BRS carries, I am actually going to try adding a couple pieces of that after I soak and clean it.  It's mined so it doesn't have a ton of organic material on it.

You can give it a muriatic acid bath.  I did mine and love the results.  Water / acid solution turned absolutely nasty with everything that came out.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jack1978 said:

You can give it a muriatic acid bath.  I did mine and love the results.  Water / acid solution turned absolutely nasty with everything that came out.

I've read about muriatic acid but not sure what it is or how to go about getting it.  Have not looked into it very seriously, obviously lol.

• Like 2
mbarton2010
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

I've read about muriatic acid but not sure what it is or how to go about getting it.  Have not looked into it very seriously, obviously lol.

you can get it in the pool supply areas of stores

9 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I picked some up at Home Depot for a few bucks.  I think the suggested ratio is water to acid......10:1  More is better so I did more like 3:1 and turned 50% of my rock to paste......but what was left was awesome.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

you can get it in the pool supply areas of stores

Ooooh somewhere I have pretty much never been... :unsure:

8 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

I picked some up at Home Depot for a few bucks.  I think the suggested ratio is water to acid......10:1  More is better so I did more like 3:1 and turned 50% of my rock to paste......but what was left was awesome.  

Well, if you're gonna go for it, may as well go whole hog! :lol:

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Ooooh somewhere I have pretty much never been... :unsure:

Well, if you're gonna go for it, may as well go whole hog! :lol:

Page 144 or 145 in my thread starts the acid process....continues for 5 or 6 pages.  The last few pages show the end results as of today.

And yes......more is better :D

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Page 144 or 145 in my thread starts the acid process....continues for 5 or 6 pages.  The last few pages show the end results as of today.

And yes......more is better :D

My hedgehog Violet agrees, as long as more is applied to meal worms. :lol:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

My hedgehog Violet agrees, as long as more is applied to meal worms. :lol:

I saw a picture of Violet.....I need a hedgehog now.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

She's great, even when she's grumpy lol.  Be aware that babies poop a LOT and it's messy...ewwww. :wacko:

• Like 3

She's great, even when she's grumpy lol.  Be aware that babies poop a LOT and it's messy...ewwww. :wacko:

Nevermind.

:D

mbarton2010

I saw your hogs on Instagram :wub:

• Like 2
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Vinegar works to.............no need for the acid.

3 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

No not really you have enough shit going on :lol: 

Oh an MK! Thanks ;) HOORAH..........................

• Like 2
mbarton2010
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Vinegar works to.............no need for the acid.

No not really you have enough shit going on :lol: 

Oh an MK! Thanks ;) HOORAH..........................

Semper FI. One of my dads good friends is the producer and military liaison for R. Lee Ermeys tv show. They were stationed in Guam together. My dad was Marines and he was Navy. Cool dude

• Like 2