Cultivated Reef

Royal Gramma

tofer

I just noticed that my royal gramma is acting a little strange  ate fine tonight .When  I looked in a little bit ago  it is like shooting down and scuffing up against the sand  then goes back to his normal spot actually has made a little ditch area .  Its breathing fine no visually signs of anything the cardinal fish are acting fine no issues any ideas .  The only thing I could do is  and not sure if I can  is setup an old 3 gallon Betta tank  but would think its too small ? 

Okay I think I see a white spot on the gramma . Like I said above only have a 3 gal tank I could use as a hospital tank . Would para guard work for ick if I remove snails and coral and put them in smaller tank ?  And from what I read it will not harm my good bacteria 

SquishyFishy

Be careful its not just a spec of sand stuck on him with the ditching....my Black Cap does it something fierce, loves to throw sand and rocks around, you can't believe how strong he is!  And lots of times he has sand particles stuck on him which alarm me, but see if it doesn't go away by a couple days before you panic.

• Like 1

It could be sand on the fish.

Never treat your display tank. Ever. 

I know copper treats ich.

Meds will be absorbed by rocks, sand, even silicone and can effect anything you add into the tank after. 

You would need to remove the fish, treat it in the hospital tank, and your display tank would need to go fishless for 6-8 weeks for ich to be gone. Therex no other way to get rid of ich but going fallow while treating the ill fish in a hospital tank.

If you don't have a hospital tank cycled, you will need to test for ammonia daily and do frequent water changes as Seachem Prime can't be used with meds. 

• Like 2

Well an update the gramma is doing okay it may  have been sand I just waited it out . It hung out for in its cave for a day . I was away overnight came home  and seemed to be fine ate now seems back to itself  but will keep an eye on it . 

• Like 1

Well the Garmma has died I found it when I came home from work :(. The Cardinal fish seems fine doing its normal thing with that said  I have the old 3 gal betta tank with fresh salt water in it filtering and heated if i don't see it acting funny .  I checked Parameters  0 ammonia (checked because of the death ) Nitrates 5 (which is down form 10 before water change i over feed a little last week:blush: )  , PH 8 , alk 10, calcium  400, temp 78.5 ,salinity 1.025 . 

I have been thinking about 2 Saturdays ago added small torch coral frag could there be a chance it stung the gramma ? Im thinking this isn't the case but only thing I can think of that was new in the tank .

Well I'm bummed it was ich . I have learned the hard way the cardinal fish died just before I got home last night and this morning everything was okay . Ate great last night swimming fine ,was swimming fine this morning not breathing heavy ,not rubbing up against anything or acting strange . 

With this said tank will be going fishless until at least the end of May beginning of June . 

Sorry for your losses. That is a frustrating part of this hobby. That being said, it really pays to quarantine your fish, or at least have an adequate hospital tank to fall back on. A quarantine tank setup of a 10 gallon tank is extremely cheap.

Also, there are many ways to treat fish for ich, such as the tank transfer method, cupramine treatment, and hyposalinity. seabass recently wrote a nice article about it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, xAyanex said:

Sorry for your losses. That is a frustrating part of this hobby. That being said, it really pays to quarantine your fish, or at least have an adequate hospital tank to fall back on. A quarantine tank setup of a 10 gallon tank is extremely cheap.

Also, there are many ways to treat fish for ich, such as the tank transfer method, cupramine treatment, and hyposalinity. seabass recently wrote a nice article about it.

Yeah I will be working on a quarantine tank

in the future before more livestock . 

I have been reading a lot about treatments and hoping I will not need in the future . (I can hope right  ) 

• Like 1
Just now, tofer said:

Yeah I will be working on a quarantine tank

in the future before more livestock . 

I have been reading a lot about treatments and hoping I will not need in the future . (I can hope right  ) 

I have never had to treat any fish for anything yet. I am still hoping I never will have to.

• Like 1

Ich doesn't usually kill fish that quickly, hardy fish often can fight it without treatment.

It could have been velvet because velvet can take fish out within a day or 2. It also can "look" like ich and gas similar symptoms.

The unfortunate thing is, even when qt is applied with fish, ich can be introduced by corals, snails, crabs, rocks. They aren't effected by the parasite but can come in with these.

Ich can also present itself in stressful times, poor water quality, over crowded environment. 

• Like 1

Clown79

Thanks for the info on possibly being velvet . Still leaving tank fishless until end of May beginning of June . Water quality is pretty good and stable I did get a little algae outbreak as I got a little heavy handed with feeding . 

With corals bringing in ich would dipping in Coral Rx remove ? 

Velvet requires a fallow period as. I had it once, took out 2 fish within a few days. Totally sucks!

I let my tank go fallow for 8 weeks and added  nothing.

The problem with velvet opposed to ich, is that with velvet the visual symptoms show up after the parasite has been already "attacking" the fish. 

As far as i can tell, dips don't work on everything.

I do fw and coral rx dips and still got flatworms and a parasite.

• Like 1

Clown 79 

would it be a good idea to add copepods to my tank now ? 

Will it it create a issue since there will be no fish and will the Duncan , torch, and zoanthids eat them ? 

Hi 

Sorry for your loss, it sucks whaen that happens. It happened to me. 

IMO you can add pods to yout tank, Thay are tiny crustaceans. Your corals may eat a few but I think they will still have a chance to establish before you add fish again. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Dips won't keep ich out, I recently had ich in my tank that must have come in on corals or a snail or something, because all of my fish were ich free when I put them in (most were treated for it during QT).  If you're planning on adding pods I would add them now, then they can really establish themselves before the fish come in and start chowing down. And it'll give you something to look at with them all over the glass :) Now that they're not being eating, I have at least a thousand on my glass all the time. 

• Like 1

That's what I was thinking with the pods give them a chance  to multiply . I'm in the process getting a QT so I can reduce the risk of  bringing in pests . 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

An update  DT has had no fish since 3/25  Qt tank still in cycle getting closer . Corals ,cleaner shrimp, and snails and hermits doing well . I did end up adding Pods to the tank and they seem to be multiplying .  I have found  what seems to be baby snails of some sort can't tell what kind they are as they are very small .  Still have a small area of diatoms and GHA but slowly getting that taken care of .

So now a question about the qt which is a 10g with a HOB filter  pic pipes and some small rock rubble .

In my mind I would say qt one fish at a time . Would 2 fish be pushing past what that size tank  could handle ?  

E.g. Banggai Cardinal fish 

fishfreak0114

If you keep up with waterchanges and dose seachem prime to neutralize potential ammonia, I think it should be fine. 

• Like 1
GregEmmitte

Ich is weird. I had a royal gamma that had it and eventually died from it. He hid in a way where I couldn't get to him. At the time I had 3 other fish, that I still have which displayed no symptoms of ich. Also no new fish I've added since got ich. The only fish I do have that has a resistance to ich is mandarin dragonet.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

Ich is weird. I had a royal gamma that had it and eventually died from it. He hid in a way where I couldn't get to him. At the time I had 3 other fish, that I still have which displayed no symptoms of ich. Also no new fish I've added since got ich. The only fish I do have that has a resistance to ich is mandarin dragonet.

It is weird and the royal gramma did the same thing with me as far getting into a place where I could not get him easy.

• Like 1