SaltCritters.com

Xenia Garden

Narzyzz_12

19 minutes ago, cnseekatz said:

I've always had some in my display or refugium, but the stuff DOES NOT travel well. I tried to ship some once and it melted overnight. I think they release toxins when they're stressed, and if they're in a little baggie, they just rot in it.

There's a trick to shipping it, I've done it successfully. 

It absolutely MUST be shipped overnight. 

Attach the frag plug or whatever the Xenia is mounted on to a small piece of styro so that the styro is BENEATH the frag plug. I think I used rubberbands for this. 

Then put the Xenia in the water so that the coral itself is dangling upside down with the styro floating on the water surface. 

And of course the box/shipping container needs to be insulated. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Attach the frag plug or whatever the Xenia is mounted on to a small piece of styro so that the styro is BENEATH the frag plug. I think I used rubberbands for this. 

Then put the Xenia in the water so that the coral itself is dangling upside down with the styro floating on the water surface. 

This is exactly what I did... It didn't survive a 40 mile journey

Simulated Fish
3 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

I've always had some in my display or refugium, but the stuff DOES NOT travel well. I tried to ship some once and it melted overnight. I think they release toxins when they're stressed, and if they're in a little baggie, they just rot in it.

Moving a frag from on tank to another pissed it off for over a month, pulsing came back and growth started again but yeah Xenia is a weird one.

Narzyzz_12
12 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Nice! Love pulsing xenia.  My little frag melted when I moved. :closedeyes:

If you ever need some just holler got more than plenty to go around B)

• Like 1
Narzyzz_12
10 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

that's a neat gyro stabilization trick

7 hours ago, Hippieheadshot said:

Moving a frag from on tank to another pissed it off for over a month, pulsing came back and growth started again but yeah Xenia is a weird one.

Normally what i do is harvest it from my biocube and just put into the 20L without even acclimating it

13 hours ago, cnseekatz said:

Yeah that's what I've heard.  I left the frag plug just in case there's a tiny fragment of tissue left lol.

1 hour ago, Narzyzz_12 said:

If you ever need some just holler got more than plenty to go around B)

Haha thanks, I can see that!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So today I changed the rear Hamilton actinic T5 to the ATI Coral+ and man the tank is littttt!Can't believe the difference in light output (those red and green peaks)compared to even the 4 month old front facing bulb.B)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

So much awesome going on in this tank.  

Thanks dude, so far I've really enjoyed this system too it's by far the easiest to maintain and the most packed out of all 4.

• Like 1