Cultivated Reef

Sean's IM Abyss Drop Off Panorama - August Photo Dump

Bella's Reef

Bella's Reef

It has almost been two years of being out of the hobby due to selling our old home & purchasing a new house and we are finally diving back in! 

We are currently going on a week of cycling & dosing bacteria so not much for pictures as of right now. I ended up getting the skimmer running late last night and so far so good. Things I plan to get done the remainder of this week is cable management, get the MP10 Controller mounted and possibly add a small Zoa Frag this weekend pending all test results.

Equipment List:

• Innovative Marine Drop Off Abyss
  • NanoBox Duo Plus M
  • EcoTech Vortech MP10
  • Sicce 1.5 Return Pump
  • Cobalt Neo Therm 100 Watt Heater
  • JNS HOB Skimmer
  • Innovative Marine Media Reactor
  • Tunzo Nano ATO
  • DIY ATO Container
  • IKEA Besta Stand w DIY Riser

Livestock List:

• Tailspot Blenny, Two Picasso Clownfish & a Yellow Watchman Goby
  • Emerald Crab
  • Snail cleanup crew from Reef Cleaners & local LFS

LPS

• Duncans
  • Elegance Coral
  • Hammer Spawn Euphyllia
  • Red Blasto's

ZOAS

• Sunny D's, Petroglyphs, Blue Hornets, God of War, Utter Choas, Rasta's and Eagle Eye's 

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

• Like 4
Bella's Reef
1 hour ago, J-Ranko said:

IM drop-off, yes!  Following along...

Your cat with its head turned away looks rather disappointed in the tank. :lol: 

He definitely is not excited about it, he has had 8 great years of enjoying Reef tanks and expects results. 

• Like 1
Bella's Reef

Thanks! I am very pleased with the stand and as far as the light goes I am liking it a lot. I've had a Radion and Kessil in the past on different tanks and by far I am liking this light above both of those.

It was super easy to setup and the color and transitions between full sun and cloudy etc are smooth as can be. Super easy to use and adjust from a phone where I thought the Radion programming was a bit difficult from a PC.

mbarton2010

Is it gonna stay bare bottom? You could build a small rock wall for the drop off and put sand down and it would look natural (and pretty sweet B))

Bella's Reef
8 hours ago, Mkbarton said:

Is it gonna stay bare bottom? You could build a small rock wall for the drop off and put sand down and it would look natural (and pretty sweet B))

Yes the plan is to stay bare bottom and have a minimalist feel to it, cover the bottom areas in coral to make it look more natural.

• Like 1
Bella's Reef

After weeks of cycling & testing all appears good to go. I added the first coral tonight a small Eagle Eye Zoa frag and it was open and looking great within 20 minutes. 

IMG_0370.JPG

• Like 2
Bella's Reef

JNS Skimmer is dialing in pretty well. I may need to change water level or modify something to reduce micro bubbles. 

IMG_0373.JPG

• Like 1
Bella's Reef

The cycle continues with a crazy bacteria bloom of white stringy algae etc... Hopefully another week and it will be over and I can get some coral added as we have a local swap this weekend.

• Like 1
Bella's Reef

Well they were on fire with the dreaded white bacteria bloom stringy/slime like crap, turned the powerhead up and started wet skimming to get everything out. I plan on turkey basting the remaining bits of it hanging on and continue to watch. Considering dosing Dr Tim's Refresh & Waste Away but the tank is only a few weeks old so may do a 5 gallon water change and see what happens this weekend.

• Like 1
Bella's Reef

Well good news is it's all gone after some turkey baster work, switching out filter socks and wet skimming. I am going to hit it with a 5 gallon water change this weekend.

The Eagle Eye zoas look great and two polyps turned into almost 3 full with a baby polyp.

We have a coral swap this weekend and I am planning on adding Rastas, Sunny D's and some Duncan's.

• Like 2
Bella's Reef
12 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Was it some sort of algae?  Or just filaments of bacteria? Looks more bacterial...

It was some sort of crazy bacteria bloom looks like I got lucky as when I googled & checked different forums it can get pretty nasty and take over an entire tank. I turkey basted and turned the powerhead up and have been wet skimming and nothing has grown back, water is still a little cloudy but I plan on knocking out a large water change this weekend.

• Like 1
Bella's Reef

Pretty excited I scored the zoa's, paly's & Duncan's for $50. A local Reefer has a really nice Blue Tipped Elegance coral for $50 I plan on picking up Thursday.

Late April I am headed to Chicago and hope to find a Borbonious Anthias for a decent price.

• Like 1
Bella's Reef

While picking up a refractometer from a local Reefer I could not pass up this little Elegance Coral with blue tips for $50!

IMG_0401.JPG

• Like 4