SaltCritters.com

sump for biocube 29

Pjanssen

Has anyone set up a sump on their AIO? I'm thinking about doing this, but really have no clue as to how to proceed except o get a small tank that will fit in my stand. There is a local guy that says he can build whatever I want. I want to add a skimmer and a rufugium to grow chaeto and pods. I know nothing about overflows etc. Appreciate any help. Thanks

PJ

PJ, can you drill the bottom glass of the intake chamber?  I don't know if your tank is tempered glass.  If you can then you could buy a bulkhead and build a drain down to the sump.  You would need to have a standpipe.  With only 1 standpipe it can be hard to control noise although with dc pumps being able to control flow helps with noise a lot.  Some folks are afraid with only 1 standpipe of a blockage but my tank only has 1 and I have never had a blockage in 10 years.

21 minutes ago, vlangel said:

PJ, can you drill the bottom glass of the intake chamber?  I don't know if your tank is tempered glass.  If you can then you could buy a bulkhead and build a drain down to the sump.  You would need to have a standpipe.  With only 1 standpipe it can be hard to control noise although with dc pumps being able to control flow helps with noise a lot.  Some folks are afraid with only 1 standpipe of a blockage but my tank only has 1 and I have never had a blockage in 10 years.

So I'd have to drain the tank? Lol. Not happening? Maybe I'll just try a nano or hob skimmer and save the sump for the next tank!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

So I'd have to drain the tank? Lol. Not happening? Maybe I'll just try a nano or hob skimmer and save the sump for the next tank!

Yeah, the only way I can think to do a sump without draining the tank is with a hang on the back overflow box.  It would probably have to be modified and so would the top of your biocube.  You are right, that is not worth the hassle.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I’ve been toying with the idea of adding a sump. If I can modify the back of the hood for a nano overflow box, then I’m down for the project. What kind of sump is that? I haven’t found one that fits under the biocube 32 stand...yet. Yours looks perfect 👌 

I don't want to give up my hood so I think the HOB will not work. At this point I would just switch to a tank that is plumbed for a sump if I wanted to go that route ( and I understand adding volume)

• 8 months later...
On 10/21/2019 at 6:24 PM, CavalierReef said:

Seems to me that you could cut a discrete hole in the back of the hood to accommodate the overflow hose.  Just a thought. Would it impair opening the hood?

This tank no longer has a hood, so options have oped up. Still really want to upgrade this tank though so not rushing to make any decisions.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been thinking about this for my 20G AIO. I’m not up for the DIY drilling the glass. The question is, buy a new tank that’s pre-drilled or just spend the $50 on the overflow box. I really like the pre-drilled option tho... 

I saw a shop “Elite Reef” on YouTube that was showing the most awesome nano tanks with just a cheap hang on back (H.O.B.) refugium. I bought one that didn’t fit over the back of my tank so I never used it. 

Fast forward to 2:46 and check out that fuge!!

https://youtu.be/vTOcowffdMs

I’ve wanted the IM 25 Lagoon EXT. haven’t pulled the trigger as I’m afraid like everything else I order it will come broken from shipping. Might just get the overflow box... 

D61E4C19-5BA1-4A51-9BE0-32C02F1BE8FF.jpeg