Top Shelf Aquatics

Help with Tunze 9001 dc

cctv

Hi!

I purchased a Tunze 9001 dc skimmer for my IM Nuvo 16g. 

The skimmer is still breaking in but I experience some weird things.

I installed the skimmer in the center back chamber of my AIO Nuvo 16g tank. It is placed at the correct water level. I also have a ATO so that the water level stays always the same.

The skimmer is either producing foam that will not reach the cup and after an hour or so will go to overdrive and overfill the collection cup with water.

I am at loss here and don't know what to do.

Is there a procedure to follow that will break in the skimmer correctly? 

Another thing is that the skimmer is quite loud. 

Help please?

Hi StevieT!

Thanks for the reply. So after the breaking in period it will start working as it should?

Does this also mean the gurgling sound it make now will stop? Or at least calm down?

And what happens when I clean out the collection cup every week? Or every few days (depending the skimmate)? Will it start over?

This is my first modern skimmer so I have no idea. The previous that I had was a mameIII glass skimmer. Which was totally different. 

Yes, as long as you have it set up correctly.

The gurgling may be water in the air line.  The water level line is the max, it works best with a water level 1/2" below that line.

Emptying out the cup has nothing to do with the slime coat.  Which is inside the body.  Cleaning the tube of the neck may change it slightly but that will gunk up again shortly.

Typical full break in of a skimmer is two weeks.

Thanks for the info StevieT!

I thought the line was were the water level should be! I will be lowering the water level to see how that helps !

Again thanks for the tip!

Archived