Top Shelf Aquatics

All in one 30 gallon diy

Putzyjd

Hi everyone I'm building a 30 gallon 12"wide 30" long and 18"high all in one peninsula tank and I was wondering what type of equipment I should use? I already bought a 200 watt titanium aquatop heater, a temp controller as a back up, and a 24"x24" .236" thick black acrylic sheet. I was thinking about a mj900 submersible pump, and marine pure with a refugium with maybe macro algae and miracle mud as a biological filter? I was also thinking about those battery back up bubblers for oxygen that kick on when your power goes out? 

IMG_20170313_191155992.jpg

I'm not really sure yet I was thinking about getting some hermit crabs and shrimp for a month or so and adding phytoplankton and copepods and rotifers and letting them build up first before I add fish or is that a bad idea?

15 minutes ago, Hirsh said:

I guess it really depends on what you are wanting to keep.

I'm not really sure yet I was thinking about getting some hermit crabs and shrimp for a month or so and adding phytoplankton and copepods and rotifers and letting them build up first before I add fish or is that a bad idea?

Battery backup bubblers are good, I recommend them. 

I made my own 30 long All in One tank once, I need to go find the tank thread and post it here for you. My tank was 36" long tho. 

The build was kinda drawn out, so you might just find it annoying, but the tank ended up being a really nice Mixed Reef. 

I basically had a friend who works with acrylic build me a wall and I walled off the left 4"-6" of the tank (don't remember exactly). 

I believe I used an MJ900 for the return. 

In my personal opinion, you'd need at least 6" on one end to effectively do a refugium with mud in the bottom. With less space it would too hard to work with, making it ineffective. 

I have actually built my own Macro and Mud Refugium that I added on to a Pico tank before, and really liked it. 

8 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Battery backup bubblers are good, I recommend them. 

I made my own 30 long All in One tank once, I need to go find the tank thread and post it here for you. My tank was 36" long tho. 

The build was kinda drawn out, so you might just find it annoying, but the tank ended up being a really nice Mixed Reef. 

I basically had a friend who works with acrylic build me a wall and I walled off the left 4"-6" of the tank (don't remember exactly). 

I believe I used an MJ900 for the return. 

In my personal opinion, you'd need at least 6" on one end to effectively do a refugium with mud in the bottom. With less space it would too hard to work with, making it ineffective. 

I have actually built my own Macro and Mud Refugium that I added on to a Pico tank before, and really liked it. 

That sounds cool I really like the small creatures that can be found in saltwater tanks and that's why I want a refugium so they can repopulate. What did you use for filtration? Did you just have a sponge filter or no filter? And I've been looking at maybe getting marine pure biological blocks.

5 minutes ago, Putzyjd said:

That sounds cool I really like the small creatures that can be found in saltwater tanks and that's why I want a refugium so they can repopulate. What did you use for filtration? Did you just have a sponge filter or no filter? And I've been looking at maybe getting marine pure biological blocks.

I LOVE having diverse Microfauna, I'm totally with you there!!!

Ok, since you like that, check out what I did with the Refugium on my old Pico Tank here: 

I wanna do some fancy stuff with mud and Refugiums again someday and have considered ordering Microfauna packages from here: http://www.ipsf.com/reefworms.html

Here's the 30L thread, just remember I warned you it had a slow start: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/196653-new-tanks-make-me-smile/?page=5

I think around page 4 or 5 starts showing how the overflow was set up, and some of the build action picks up there. 

Some of the best full tank shots that show it in it's glory were around pg. 37 or 38

Pretty sure I used a Poly Filter in there, that's my go to for both physical and chemical filtration: https://premiumaquatics.com/products/poly-filter-pad-single-4-8.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhpnGBRDKpY-My9rdutABEiQAWNcslPLygMsu9H688g6hy24RLx0oQmJ8ptzP_SJCG9qbS5gaAtC08P8HAQ

55 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I LOVE having diverse Microfauna, I'm totally with you there!!!

Ok, since you like that, check out what I did with the Refugium on my old Pico Tank here: 

I wanna do some fancy stuff with mud and Refugiums again someday and have considered ordering Microfauna packages from here: http://www.ipsf.com/reefworms.html

Here's the 30L thread, just remember I warned you it had a slow start: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/196653-new-tanks-make-me-smile/?page=5

I think around page 4 or 5 starts showing how the overflow was set up, and some of the build action picks up there. 

Some of the best full tank shots that show it in it's glory were around pg. 37 or 38

Pretty sure I used a Poly Filter in there, that's my go to for both physical and chemical filtration: https://premiumaquatics.com/products/poly-filter-pad-single-4-8.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwhpnGBRDKpY-My9rdutABEiQAWNcslPLygMsu9H688g6hy24RLx0oQmJ8ptzP_SJCG9qbS5gaAtC08P8HAQ

That was a lot of reading haha ? I like the cereal box refugium btw and the reef critters are cool! I wish I had a bigger tank so I could do a bigger display refugium but I can't complain too much because the tank was free haha. Do you think adding the heater and the return pump in one section to save on space is a good idea? The mangroves are really neat even if they don't take out that much waste haha. I might try to attempt to make the sump viewable from one side so you can see the refugium easier that would be cool!

I won't be offended if you don't read everything, lol!!

I just wanted to give you some resources that matched up with what you said you were interested in. 

I LOVE display Refugiums, but I think that would be harder to do on the size/shape tank you have. 

Unless maybe you did it so that the main Reef Display portion was kinda like a tall cube...

Just thinking out loud here, my brain hasn't Coffee-ed enough this morning....

(I don't care what everyone says, Coffee can be a verb!!)

18 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I won't be offended if you don't read everything, lol!!

I just wanted to give you some resources that matched up with what you said you were interested in. 

I LOVE display Refugiums, but I think that would be harder to do on the size/shape tank you have. 

Unless maybe you did it so that the main Reef Display portion was kinda like a tall cube...

Just thinking out loud here, my brain hasn't Coffee-ed enough this morning....

(I don't care what everyone says, Coffee can be a verb!!)

I have a basic idea of what I'm going to do ? what I'm thinking is have two overflows that I can adjust on each side with the pump in the middle that tees off with a return to some loc line in the display and a valve that returns to the refugium that way I can have a refugium on one side and I can control return flow to the refugium via the valve or the overflow and heater and filter stuff on the other side. Idk if that made any sense haha but I went to the hardware store and got most of the plumbing except the loc line ? my idea is that hopefully you'll be able to see a nice looking refugium from the one side. I haven't quite decided on how big to go on the back yet if I go out 6 inches I'll still have 22 gallons of display tank but idk haha

IMG_20170314_233405447.jpg

Weetabix, that tank is a beauty. I had no idea macroalgae could be so interesting and pretty looking. Now I need some.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2017 at 6:00 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Hooray!!!

Have you decided how you want to do it yet?

Yep haha I haven't water tested it yet though ? there's a overflow that goes to the pump and tees off to a return and then there's a valve for the flow to the refugium from the pump. I haven't decided if I'd drill any holes from the refugium to the tank yet.

IMG_20170401_224555894.jpg

IMG_20170402_024606491.jpg

On 3/21/2017 at 5:00 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Hooray!!!

Have you decided how you want to do it yet?

Water tested it and surprisingly there's no leaks ?

IMG_20170409_111913493.jpg

Oooh, this is exciting!!!

I'm not great with plumbing, so I can't visualize yet how you're gonna do the refugium yet. Please take pity on me and post pics of that once you get it going, lol. 

Do you know what you'll use for lighting yet or when you'll start cycling it?

On 4/10/2017 at 7:19 AM, NanoSteve said:

Looks good so far @Putzyjd!

What do you plan on keeping? What kind of lighting you thinking?

I haven't really decided I think I might just get a pair of fancy clownfish ? and idk current USA makes a really cool light with sunset and sunrise timers I think I might try that out

On 4/10/2017 at 6:14 AM, Weetabix7 said:

Oooh, this is exciting!!!

I'm not great with plumbing, so I can't visualize yet how you're gonna do the refugium yet. Please take pity on me and post pics of that once you get it going, lol. 

Do you know what you'll use for lighting yet or when you'll start cycling it?

The refugium is on the left with a baffle holding marine pure and I just put some sand in the bottom for now ? it measures 6x6 by 15tall so it's a little less taller water than my display.  I just filled it with 2/3 salt+rodi water 1/3rodi water because I didn't wanna get it too salty I figured since I don't have anything in it I'll let it heat up and mix and check it and add some more salt if I need it. I have a bottle of biospira but I think I'll wait to dump it in until I have my salinity good and temp good. I'm thinking I'll get a current USA light with the sunset and sunrise timer ?

IMG_20170413_180848708.jpg

Update ? I got a snowflake clown and a zebra barred goby. I think I'm gonna name the snowflake clown spot? but my zebra barred dart fish went behind my Rock and my acrylic wall and I thought he was stuck so I moved my Rock away from my wall and he still didn't wanna move so I figured I'd just let him be and see what happens.

IMG_20170420_195309247.jpg

On 4/20/2017 at 7:10 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Nice Clown!!

Thanks haha he seems pretty friendly ? I'm gonna try to teach him how to do a backflip ?? anyways I ordered four hermit crabs and they sent me three and I ordered a pistol shrimp and a pederson cleaner shrimp and I drop acclimated them and I put them in and haven't seen them since ? do you know anything about shrimp? They were tiny too like 1/4 inch long

Pistol shrimps typically hide in rock, you only know they're still there when you hear the snap, crackle pop they make. 

I would think you'd see the Pederson's though. 

They don't come out when you put food in?

When did you add them to the tank?

1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Pistol shrimps typically hide in rock, you only know they're still there when you hear the snap, crackle pop they make. 

I would think you'd see the Pederson's though. 

They don't come out when you put food in?

When did you add them to the tank?

I added them yesterday I wonder if it's possible the zebra goby ate them? I was thinking they were gonna send bigger shrimp haha. When I got the bag I couldn't even see the cleaner shrimp and I had to look really hard. I heard him snapping in the bucket but I haven't heard him since

IMG_20170422_121627595.jpg

Archived