Innovative Marine Aquariums

40cm cube reef - First Attempt

mezan91

Hello,

I am starting out a 40cm cube with IOS. This is my first time starting a nano reef setup. Have been wanting to start a reef ever since my early teenage years (That's like 7 - 8 years ago). Haha. After settling down with school and national service, it is now time to live the dream. Haha.

Intend to keep a pair of nemo (clownfish as wife and mom only agree with the setup with this in it), softies and LPS. 

Bought a used equipment from a fellow reefer. 

Here is the list of equipment I have on hand so far:

• 40 cm cube tank with IOS
  • Aqua C Nano Remora
  • Maxspect 60W 16K
  • Hailea HS-28A

The Aqua C Nano remora comes with a 1300L/h pump, however, it can't fit into my 2nd chamber. Planning to use it for my return pump which will be connected to chiller before going into the display tank. Will it be sufficient? Will find a replacement for the skimmer pump, maybe the stock MJ 900?

For the filtration, I plan the following:

Compartment A - Chemical filtration
Compartment B - Mini Refugium with Chaeto / Skimmer pump
Compartment C - Skimmer output / Return pump connected to Chiller

Hi @dpoltsdsu,

Not quite sure on that yet. Probably some zoas, hammer, and such. Yet to really narrow down the choices. Will look around what is there when I head down to the LFS. It's been a while since I made a trip down.

Thinking of getting this rock and sand. What do you guys think?

3DM Reef Rock and 3DM Reef Sand by RevoReef

5fnmnq.jpg

On my shopping cart: 

- Aquarium System NJ1200 for the Aqua C Nano skimmer

- Jebao RW 4 wave maker

Here is an in-depth video of it.

The rocks come in a variety of sizes. I would see if you could grab some pictures when I drop by on the weekend. Hopefully to get some equipment tonight after work. 

When to LFS after work yesterday and gotten the following:
NJ1200 for the skimmer and RW 4 yesterday. 
IMG_20170315_210645.jpg

Wife saw a black damsel and wants it on the tank. She says it cute as it frightens the 2 clownfish in the tank. :mellow:

Here is a picture of the tank.
IMG_20170315_210637_HDR.jpg

So I spend the weekend to purchase some other equipment and also plumbing and organizing the wire.

Pardon the messy plumbing. It is my first time doing it. Gonna do a test leak tonight.

IMG_20170319_230044_HHT.jpg
IMG_20170319_230058.jpg

SaltyBuddha
On 3/12/2017 at 7:55 PM, mezan91 said:

Intend to keep a pair of nemo (clownfish as wife and mom only agree with the setup with this in it)

^ this all the way. Whatever makes our family happy and allows us to continue! 

Where are you from that you need a chiller?

@SaltyBuddha haha. yeah! Wife already picking up corals that she wanted to be in. :D

I am from Singapore. I am expecting the chiller to power up during the day time as most of the night, the room will be air conditioned. To think about it, it is good that I move the tank into the room. 

Leaked test has been successful. I have also mixed the tank with AF Reef Salt. Will test the salinity before adding rocks, sand, and dosing of AF Bio S to kick start the cycling process.

This is my attempt on rock scape with 3DM Reef Rock.

IMG_20170321_224628.jpg

Consist of 3 small to medium size rock and 1 large rock broken into half. I bonded them together with AF Poly Glue and it is now 2 pieces of rock instead of 4. What do you think of it?

So I have added the rocks into the tank. The 3DM reef rocks created a lot of micro bubbles. Can feel the water going into the rock. I assume it is good as that shows there are macro tunnels in the rocks just as stated. It took about 10-15 minutes to slowly clear but then still there are some air bubbles coming out. As of today morning, no more air bubbles coming out from the rocks though.

IMG_20170322_225355.jpg
IMG_20170322_225407.jpg
Micro bubbles coming out from the rocks

Take the opportunity to turn on the light.

IMG_20170322_231302.jpg
Front view

IMG_20170322_231336.jpg
Left

IMG_20170322_231346.jpg
Right

Forget to mention that I also got the 3DM Reef Sand. Will be adding that later tonight or tomorrow. Haha.

So I spend the weekend rescaping. What do you guys think of it now?

I also started cycling the tank with small portion of prawn and dosing of AF Bio S. Should I wait for the prawn to totally dissolve? It looks cooked now. :D

IMG_20170326_213311_HHT.jpg

Just a quick question, what is the difference between using carbon sponge and carbon beads? 

• 2 weeks later...

Current FTS of the tank. 

IMG_20170409_143432_HDR.jpg

I DIY a light stand to hold the light. The stock stand that comes with the maxspect seems to lean downwards. So better be safe than sorry. 

The red color on the rock is my cleaner shrimp shell. It molted on the second day I introduce it in the tank.

Looks good! Great job on the DIY light rig.

Grab a test kit to check the progress of your cycle (Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate)

I'm in Singapore also, what LFS are you going to? I'm always on the look out for more LFS options.

@Pazos011 Thank you. Yes, I did get a test kit already. and everything looks good. 

So far I've been to CoralFarm and FNM. Have yet to venture to all others. How about you?

@mezan91 nice! I got my setup at Fresh N' Marine. I've also been out to Aquarium Iwarna in Pasir Ris. 

I'll have to check out CoralFarm as well. I'll keep you posted in I find any others.

I'm central. Near orchard, far from all the LFS :P I just take GrabShare with discount on my weekends haha. Nice map, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on the tank.

Current Livestocks:
3 x Nass snails
1 x Red Fire Shrimp
1 x Maroon Clown

Corals:
A few zoas, don't really care about ID. As long as they are nice. haha.
Palythoa
Red Sea Xenia - has one small baby just popped out
Green Star Polyp
Blastomussa Merletti
Orange Yuma
Green Mushroom

IMG_20170418_WA0046.jpg
IMG_20170418_WA0047.jpg
PHOTO_20170416_161721.jpg

Archived