SaltCritters.com

Tana's Dirty DB35g

tanacharison

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
tanacharison

Update!  So I have something growing up from the sand bed... Not looking like hair algae but some nasty stuff.  I was using a little Phosphate Minus from Aquaforest in my filter sock with carbon but I stopped 5 weeks ago because I felt like the tank did not need it.  Sadly larger feedings have created a little monster or lack or nutrient control. I always planned adding some bio media in the sump but never pulled the trigger until this week. Added 80% of the the gallon size marine pure spheres to the sump. The success of daily Aquaforest dosing in the main tank inspired me to start in the cube. 

New Chalice with algae on sand!

25590942098_defa3d9d6c_z.jpg

Gonzos Spicy Favia from LC :wub:

25590941418_eb316d802c_z.jpg

Rainbow Monti that I'm hoping starts encrusting soon.

25590941638_696ef13092_z.jpg

Look at that polyp extension! Can't wait to see this grow out.

25590942308_a72ccd9d58_z.jpg

Someone new wanted to say hi...

25590942658_b23f26c519_z.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Moved a rock from my main display into this tank that's covered in GSP and a red zoa.  Needed to free up some room for frags :lol: I might leave it as its own island in the front corner.  This tank is driving me a little crazy because its growing both algae and corals very well. I'm not trying to do much to stop the algae because I love the growth. 

The CUC immediately came to inspect the new rock.

40288263461_c6699feb98_z.jpg

Cool mushroom from Aqua SD

39576863224_4b207b12c2_z.jpg

I only feed corals twice a week I swear!

39576865014_aa6edeffda_z.jpg

• Like 3
Christopher Marks
On 1/2/2018 at 6:13 PM, tanacharison said:

25590942658_b23f26c519_z.jpg

Such a rad fish! How are all the others doing? As for your algae problem, I wonder if manual removal is an option? At least to make a dent and slow the progress.

How about a new FTS? I want to see it with the new GSP island ?

18 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Such a rad fish! How are all the others doing? As for your algae problem, I wonder if manual removal is an option? At least to make a dent and slow the progress.

How about a new FTS? I want to see it with the new GSP island ?

All fish are well except for my blenny.. haven't seen him in a week or so.  Hopefully he turns up. I did some toothbrush work today right before my water change. Everything looks a little better.. its mainly growing on the sand.

FTS

40344203652_a4405b6ef2_z.jpg

Second FTS. Decided to take pics around feeding time to trick everyone to come out for pictures, yes they also got food.

40344204212_fc522f4279_z.jpg

Side shot of island!

40389214011_0b9dcdce7c_z.jpg

GO TEAM GOBY

40389213441_16fb1eff6d_z.jpg

Corals

40389212431_e9325a2703_z.jpg

Favia from Legendary Corals

40344202782_e56102cb85_z.jpg

I'm in absolute love with this coral. #Gonzo's Spicy Lemon Favia

40389211811_c31a0c2759_z.jpg

Zoa's waiting for homes

40344204682_caec548423_z.jpg

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

Almost one year and I’ve only tested 3 times in this tank... alk twice and cal once.  ;)

I...I have a confession to make. I don't test either. I mean, I have a pico and I end up changing 100% of the water a week or so, so all I look at is salinity and temp...:unsure:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Rene said:

I...I have a confession to make. I don't test either. I mean, I have a pico and I end up changing 100% of the water a week or so, so all I look at is salinity and temp...:unsure:

RIGHT ON! I did do consistent water changes and tested the new batch of water for correct salinity and my apex always controlled temp but outside of that all natural. I never even checked anything during or after my cycle. 

6 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

RIGHT ON! I did do consistent water changes and tested the new batch of water for correct salinity and my apex always controlled temp but outside of that all natural. I never even checked anything during or after my cycle. 

Yeah, that's what I go with. I test the new water going into the tank instead of what's currently in the tank because I do massive weekly water changes to maintain water quality. I don't see a point in monitoring the levels of what is in the tank because my entire  tank volume will be replaced by the end of the week.

I do have test kits on hand in case the tank crashes or I start having strange issues and I can't figure it out, but to be honest, most things can get solved anyway with...a water change. 

Finally, the truth comes out. Bad reef parents, unite!

• Like 1
Just now, rO.oster said:

Love the possum wrasse, how’s he doing!?

Great! It’s a very shy fish but really likes to follow the other wrasse around. 

23 hours ago, tanacharison said:

Almost one year and I’ve only tested 3 times in this tank... alk twice and cal once.  ;)

23 hours ago, Rene said:

I don't test either.  Its just too tedious for me.  The macros give me a good idea how much nutrients are in the water.  They begin to look poorly if the nutrients are too low.  My big water changes pretty much keep everything else stable.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Love the gobies, have always had a soft spot for them. The color in your coral is awesome, they seem very happy. 

Just figure out the algae thing and it will be perfect. 

• Like 1
tanacharison
7 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Love the gobies, have always had a soft spot for them. The color in your coral is awesome, they seem very happy. 

Just figure out the algae thing and it will be perfect. 

Thanks! Schools of tiny gobies are so much fun during feeding time. I'm sad to see you change out your tank. But i'm sure your next adventure will be much cooler!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tanacharison said:

Thanks! Schools of tiny gobies are so much fun during feeding time. I'm sad to see you change out your tank. But i'm sure your next adventure will be much cooler!

I didn't want too but I had no choice, the dinos were killing things fast. I have a nano set up for what was saved from that tank. Im scared to put them in the new tank worried about transferring the dinos. So nothing new will go into the nano, amd the nano stock wont be added to the new tank (at least no time soon) 

• Like 1
tanacharison
4 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

I didn't want too but I had no choice, the dinos were killing things fast. I have a nano set up for what was saved from that tank. Im scared to put them in the new tank worried about transferring the dinos. So nothing new will go into the nano, amd the nano stock wont be added to the new tank (at least no time soon) 

That's hard! I have zero experience with dinos but everyone that has had them speaks like they are talking about voldemort. It’s  great to hear you not giving up on the coral and are going to nurse them in a nano. Maybe you will uncover some good practices as you QT everything.

• Like 1
tanacharison
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Happy 1st birthday to your tank @tanacharison, it went by fast didn't it?

How's the new clam settling in? Happy as a...clam? :lol: 

Thanks Mark! Yeah it was quick.. Clam looks great. I've only had one fish loss and two corals so it was a good year. Goniopora is always a difficult one to keep so i'm not unhappy about it.

• Like 1