Innovative Marine Aquariums

2 fish dead over night out of nowhere WHY

L.bacchus88

L.bacchus88

Hey, I've had my tank running for just over a year. (Biocube 29) I've had my jawfish since the cycle was fully completed, he was my first fish and he's been great this whole time. Last night I fed all the fish, everyone looked happy- I came home from work tonight and My jawfish and my royal gramma both are dead. The 2 clowns are still alive. All the corals are looking great, shrimp, crabs, snails, etc all fine. I don't know what happened. I did last water change Friday morning as normal. I just don't know what could have happened. My surviving fish don't look sick. They are still eating, swimming etc. I don't see how it could be oxygen depletion since I have excellent flow and normal ph. I wash my hands with water before putting them in the tank. If it was something on my hands wouldn't the inverts be affected also? Fish disease that I'm not seeing? Ugh I'm heartbroken. Bitey my jawfish was my favorite buddy. :( anyone have any ideas?  Also I have a RODI set up and only use RODI water for changes. Thanks 

Salinity 1.025

temp: 78

ph 8.2

ammonia: 0

nitrate: 0

nitrite: 0

L.bacchus88

I should add that I got the royal gramma and new clown about 3 weeks ago and had been great until now. I got them from petco so maybe there's an illness. Looking close at the new clown, I do see little white dots, and his tail fin looks frayed. He still has a big appetite, but is now swimming mostly on the bottom in one spot. The old established clown doesnt have any spots and is swimming all over just fine. Possibly ich or velvet?? Shit. I used a garlic drop just because I had it, but prognosis doesn't look good. I'm hoping the older clown has a good enough immune system to fight whatever is in the tank now. I don't have a quarantine tank, which maybe I will do for the future. probably not too many treatments for display tanks with lps, sps, and inverts, so if all the fish die I'll just go fishless for 3 months ? Damn. The established clown has been in there for 10 months, and was expensive lol 

If its ich, theres a good chance that it may survive. The only downside is, you can't add any fish until that tank goes fishless.

Velvet can take down fish very quickly. 

If you have garlic drops, soak their food in it before feeding. 

I have done that in the past in your situation and had it give enough of a boost to the fish's immune system that they came out of it. 

L.bacchus88

Yeah, I did soak food in garlic. The newest clown has perished- then the randalls goby (that I also got from petco same time as the clown and royal gramma) has also died. The only fish left now is the established clown that I've had for about 11 months. He seems completely unphased. Hopefully he pulls through. I'm most upset about my established Jawfish. He was the best. It was just so odd that he was completely fine with zero signs of disease at all- then morning comes and he's gone. One thing is for sure, I will never shop at petco again. Damn it. 

I doubt crypto would kill that fast, you probably have velvet on your hands.

Velvet: http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

Visual ID guide: http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.285708/

I just had velvet run through my large tank, it's not fun.. I wish you luck! As well, some food for thought; avoiding a store will probably not help you at all in the long run. Without doing proper quarantine, every new wet addition is rolling the dice for getting the three main threats; crypto, velvet and brook.

L.bacchus88

Yeah, but, the only time I've had any issues is with petco fish. lol I'll only buy from trusted fish stores and wish for the best. lol I agree, I didn't think it was crypto because of how fast they went. My frosted clown is still doing well. If it was velvet, wouldn't he also be doomed? 

Like Kyl said, it's not necessarily because of the store. All LFS could potentially carry sick fish.

Unfortunately, best practices for the hobby are also the most time consuming as no one wants to wait and QT a new fish for weeks before adding them to a main display. I only run one tank and every fish I put in is a risk.

Sorry to hear about your losses. Losing a long-time tank buddy is always tough!

Like others have said QT is your best chance of preventing it happening again.  But I also agree with you that you should probably avoid PetCo.  I do have a couple trusted LFS that I am fairly confident in not QT, but it still is a dice roll.  Just more likely to be in my favor than a crappy LFS or PetCo.  One I just found has a dedicated copper QT system in the back that all new orders go in for 4 weeks before hitting the sales floor.  Not even a sick tang on the sales floor or any other fish.  They are priced a bit higher because of that, but I think the extra cost is worth it for healthy fish. I think they are going to be my fish go to now.

L.bacchus88

Yeah, no LFS around me, I literally drive 2 hours sometimes to go to nice places. I found a few that have all separate tanks, treat their water, and QT their new fish for a few weeks. I'll just go to them from now on lol I'm just wondering why if whatever was in my tank was able to kill off 4 fish in a matter of a couple days, why is one still completely healthy? lol I'm not gonna add any new fish for awhile, but it doesn't make sense lol if this guy stays alive, whatever it was is still gonna be in my tank anyway? Weird. Lol 

Looking healthy and being healthy can be very different. Velvet hits the gills first,  apparently many never see the physical signs before the fish perishes.

L.bacchus88

Yeah, I knew that about velvet which is why it made sense that a few fish acted totally fine before perishing the same night. But, my last clownfish looks and acts perfectly healthy. All the other fish died within about 2 days, but this guy is still swimming around and eating everything like nothing has happened. Lol 

His immune system may be better than the other fish, clowns are pretty hardy.

I had velvet strike and 1 fish died. It took another week before the next fish got it.

Archived