Weird Behaviour

zoothefreak

My tiny electric orange hermit crab left its shell and is now hiding in a crevice of my LR... why is this so? is it dying? Also can feather duster worms survive in Nanos? I just got one to test it out... do they require feedings or will water changes suffice?

feather dusters are filter feeders and are very easy to maintain, they don't require feedings like most corals do. As for the hermit I have no Idea whats going on. Maybe he got too big for his shell and needs a bigger one.

Originally posted by reefer21

Maybe he got too big for his shell and needs a bigger one.

Very possible. Also, if he/she got completley stuck in a rock somewhere, they would let go of their shell to get out.

urkkk... so what do I do? i dunno where to get another bigger shell for him... he sort of ditched his shell in the sand bed... he's actually quite tiny and now he's totally disappeared into my LR coz i cant spot him no more... will he survive without the shell?

he will survive without a shell if he is hiding in a cave in your live rock....i would check the lfs for some bigger shells if not i would check online somewhere......keep testing your water parms cuz if he happens to die your nitrates will go up...then i would start looking for him

a small hermit crab death will not cause nitrates to go up unless you are using a very accurate test. more than likely he will be eaten shortly after death and nothing will happen to water quality.

Archived