Cultivated Reef

Clown hangs by amemone but won't go in.

DUSKY

Hi everyone hope all is well. So I have 3 ocellairs clowns that I got about 6 months ago. When I got them they where  juveniles about 1 inch. One is female and the other 2 are males. So I added a saddle nem about 20 days ago and the female tends to hang around the nem about 3 to 4 inches away but doesn't really seem to show any interest.

I know it can take anywhere from a week to months for them to host. I think it's a good sign that she hangs by it but I was wondering what you guys think. The lfs by me has saddleback clowns for 16 bucks each. Been tempted to trade or swap for them. 

RayWhisperer

Saddlebacks get pretty big. For that matter, S. haddoni get massive. So, I guess, if you have the space for a haddoni, you have the space for saddlebacks. 

I have seen members who've had clowns and nems for years, never getting together, so to speak. It's a gamble. They do usually go in, after a bit, though.

3 clowns in 1 tank will end up 2 clowns in the end.

Clowns may never bother with an anemone no matter how long yoy have them.

RayWhisperer
On 3/13/2017 at 1:58 AM, Clown79 said:

3 clowns in 1 tank will end up 2 clowns in the end.

Clowns may never bother with an anemone no matter how long yoy have them.

Not necessarily. One female among many males is quite common in wild O's. 

IMG_0051.JPG

Might be building up the tolerance to the nem, my tomato clown wouldn't go near my bubble tip. I taped a picture of a clown inside a anemone to the side of my tank and it seemed to help, within a week it started hosting. Don't know if the picture had anything to do with it but why not try it

• 2 weeks later...
RIP Sebastian
7 minutes ago, DUSKY said:

Ya I taped some pictures to the side to. If it dosent work I may change clowns out 

It took my babies nearly ten months. Patience is key.

It's pretty much hit or miss.  I've had previous clowns not go near any of my BTA's.  The previous clowns I had after a couple of days went in.  And most recently when I put in my clowns for my harem they immediately went into my BTA's.  The minute I put them in they immediately swam into them.  Like others have said patience is key.  It might take a liking to it and it might not.  

Tape pictures of clownfish in anemones on your tank @DUSKY, it does work believe it or not! Some people have also put there iPads on the side of the glass and played videos of clowns in the anemones lol

I'll try to locate a few threads.

16 minutes ago, NanoSteve said:

Tape pictures of clownfish in anemones on your tank @DUSKY, it does work believe it or not! Some people have also put there iPads on the side of the glass and played videos of clowns in the anemones lol

I'll try to locate a few threads.

I just think this sounds absolutely hilarious. I have to try it, whether people really do it or not.

9 minutes ago, xAyanex said:

I just think this sounds absolutely hilarious. I have to try it, whether people really do it or not.

The theory behind this is the clowns in your tank feel threatened and in the wild when they feel threatened they typically run and hide in the anemone.  

1 hour ago, xAyanex said:

I thought it was hilarious when I first read about it to Alex lol

HERE is one thread

It does sound hilarious but I swear they hangry out by the nem more with the pictures taped to the tank. Untill the kids rip them down.

Archived