Pod Your Reef

fuge/wet dry questions

DravenXavier

DravenXavier

I'm pretty new at the whole nano thing. I've had a Red Sea Deco Art candy combo running as a nano for a little over six months now with wonderful results, so I've decided to try a 10 gallon. Now, my problem is with filtration. In the tiny nano I have, I have a patch of macro algae growing that controls the nitrates just fine, but I'd like a refugium for the 10, but I'd like to also incorporate a small wet/dry feature on to it as well. Water will be brought from a u-tube overflow down to about 1 gallon of bio balls, then to another 10 gallon with the sole purpose of being a refugium. I know everyone's main problem with the wet/dry is the nitrates produced, and I was wondering if a 10 gallon refugium would be sufficient to control the nitrates produced by the small amount of bio balls. I've tried to attach a diagram of the fuge, also showing a placement of a skimmer. I know I did not get the proportions right, as with the actual size of everything, over half of the 10 will contain the macro algae. Any other input would be great.

DravenXavier

Well, I don't plan on using as much liverock as most people do, but then, I'm not going to be carrying as much livestock either. I still have a lot of deciding to do. One big question though, if I have the fuge below the tank and use a pump to bring water back to the main tank, will I be massacreing all the pods that get sucked into it, or will a good amount of them make it through alive? If nothing's going to make it back into the tank alive, I may have to rethink things differently anyway

ApocalypticSurf6

yo i just noticed 1 thing about the design, first im pretty sure ul get some live ones up ther probably 50 percent or so becase not all of them will be touching the impeller of the pump, but did you take into consideration that the skimmer and the pump will have to be pumping water in and out at the exact same ratio of gallons per hour, toher wise the fuge il either go dry or over flow, just check thos things if you havnt yet.

its WAY to much expense and bother for a 10 gallon tank. dump the bio-balls. dump the sump.

just go get a 10g tank, put the largest aquaclear hang on back filter as you can fit, fill it with live rock and you are good to go.

the rest of it is a waste of time and money. no matter what the reason the question remains the same, "why do something you do not need".

nalbar

• 2 weeks later...

I set up a 10 gal June 23, 04 and it's doing great. I set this up for hubby's b-day but...Here's my setup:

10 gal AGA with 20" Current Satellite 40W 10,000k/460NM actinic, 18lb LR, 20lb Fiji pink LS, Whisper4 w/d filter as fuge w/Coralife 18W light and Chaeto, 2 maxi-jet 600 PH's on a Natural Wave power strip.hermits, snails, 6-line wrasse, damsel-type, colt frag, several color zoos, neon green mushrooms, 2 types green star, red, green and bubble kelp, red and green gracias(sp)too many types of plants and macro to name. Haven't id'd half of them.

I don't have a skimmer and don't want one. I want the tank to biologically filter as much as possible, it is full of kelp, macro-algae and other plants most of which I haven't id'd but they work great for pulling nutrients out of the water. The cyano bacteria I had a problem with at first disappeared at about 5 wks and I've not had any problems with algae. There's a lot more plants than you can see in the pic below, behind the LR is stuffed with plants.

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...&cat=500&page=1

Here's a pic to show the setup. Pics not very good, took it tonight with lights out and flash on.

This is one side of the fuge/filter, the best I can get anyway.

Hope this helps. I was pretty clueless when I started mine but I'm lucky to have a great LFS with a couple of knowledgeble(sp?) people to ask questions. There's a few more pics on my gallery that may be helpful or feel free to ask questions. Good luck.

Lana

Yea, I'd never be able to find macro like that around here. Even online, it's pretty hard to find anything decent. I don't care if I just do a fuge or not, but I do plan on having a sump of some sort, the main reason being that I'm putting in a SCWD, and am running it through the return from the sump. Just trying to keep it where I don't have all sorts of stuff hanging off the back of my tank, since there's not a whole lot of room behind it...I might have to even run the returns up through the sides instead of the back

Archived