inTank Media Baskets

Powerhead question

Jrkrouse13

Ok folks I need some opinions. 

Currently i I have one koralia nano 425 placed on the right side wall facing toward the center front wall about 2/3 of the way up. I also have an ac70 which is on the back left side obviously flowing toward the front. I am having an issue with flow keeping the detritus suspended to hit the filter

here is the question. Should I reposition my flow or add a second powerhead to create more flow?

i did just add 10 more snails which are cerith, astrea, and nassarius to combat the diatoms, cyano, and detritus that is beginning to plague the sandbed. 

Pinner Reef

How big is the aquarium? You shouldn't have that much detritus to get rid of on a constant basis. Generally you should only have to worry about hitting the rocks once every week or two. That said; try repositioning the current powerheads in order to get the desired flow. Generally speaking; the corals will show they are getting too much flow if they are retracted or closed up.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Powerhead question

The tank is a 20 long

i wouldn't say it's a significant amount but it is definitely a noticeable amount to say the least. 

It may be position of the powerhead. I'd try repositioning it to not face the front wall.  

I'd have my filter on the opposite end of the powerhead so that the flow crosses into each other causing more turbulant flow. 

Another option is a wavemaker like jebao. They are great, powerful, and well priced.

I did do a slight reposition on the powerhead and seems to have cleaned up the sand about twice as much. Still some dead spots but not many. 

Archived