Cultivated Reef

IM Fusion 20 return nozzle modifications

Wilsoni

Does anybody know of a viable modification that can be made to the return nozzles on an IM fusion 20 without restricting the flow? I would like to reduce the shadowing that they cause by going with a lower profile design. Any tips are much appreciated.

• Like 1

I'm tagging along.. I am wanting to set up a 90degree return nozzle on one of my outlets so that the return blows on the back wall (and eventually some green star polyp)

BTW- I think the spin stream attachment that Innovative Marine sells is a lower profile

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Reeferon said:

I'm tagging along.. I am wanting to set up a 90degree return nozzle on one of my outlets so that the return blows on the back wall (and eventually some green star polyp)

BTW- I think the spin stream attachment that Innovative Marine sells is a lower profile

Good idea! I want it to blow onto the back wall as well. I have GSP there too and I prefer the flow to not blow on corals as I have 2 MP10s already in the tank. 

Do loc line nozzles work with IM tanks?

Why not just remove the tips that they provide and run it bare? You wont be able to direct the flow, but with two MP10s I wouldn't think you'd need to. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ry05coupe said:

Why not just remove the tips that they provide and run it bare? You wont be able to direct the flow, but with two MP10s I wouldn't think you'd need to. 

I don't want to permanently remove the tips. I always think for future for selling purpose. You still can direct the slow to the back. I am thinking using a U shaped connection. Instead of blowing to the front, it will blow to the back. 

I run two spinstreams on my. They are pretty functional but I would say they are low profile. 

I took the nozzles off and ran the returns bare for a bit. It looked great but I got nervous about starfish, snails and critters crawling in there and messing with the pump. 

2 hours ago, Canadianeh said:

I don't want to permanently remove the tips. I always think for future for selling purpose. You still can direct the slow to the back. I am thinking using a U shaped connection. Instead of blowing to the front, it will blow to the back. 

The tips pop right back into place, nothing permanent about it. My Fusion 20 came with them already removed and I put them on. It would have been fully functional without them though. 

17 minutes ago, ry05coupe said:

The tips pop right back into place, nothing permanent about it. My Fusion 20 came with them already removed and I put them on. It would have been fully functional without them though. 

then there will be no purpose removing them in the first place then

KyleAwesome
39 minutes ago, Canadianeh said:

then there will be no purpose removing them in the first place then

Are you looking for assistance and ideas or are you looking to tell someone they are wrong? 

The suggestion given by ry05coupe was just that, a suggestion based on your request. NONE of the IM plumbing is hard plumbed or glued, everything is removable and replaceable at will. If you wish to not use the straight flow flat nozzles that IM includes then don't use them. If you wish to direct the return pump outflow backwards towards your back wall or downwards towards your sand bed you will likely have to remove the included nozzles and replace with them something that fits your needs as it is. 

As for the rest of the folks in this thread, the spinstream nozzles are larger than the straight flow flat nozzles, they have more mass, have a larger footprint and will suffer from the same shading issues as the straight flow nozzles. I run both, and I enjoy having the spinstream nozzles, they're a great way to break up your flow for $20 but if the primary objective is to reduce the space occupied by the return nozzle to decrease shading on whatever is placed below them, the spinstreams will not be any more effective in achieving that end than the included straight flow nozzles. 

30 minutes ago, KyleAwesome said:

Are you looking for assistance and ideas or are you looking to tell someone they are wrong? 

The suggestion given by ry05coupe was just that, a suggestion based on your request. NONE of the IM plumbing is hard plumbed or glued, everything is removable and replaceable at will. If you wish to not use the straight flow flat nozzles that IM includes then don't use them. If you wish to direct the return pump outflow backwards towards your back wall or downwards towards your sand bed you will likely have to remove the included nozzles and replace with them something that fits your needs as it is. 

As for the rest of the folks in this thread, the spinstream nozzles are larger than the straight flow flat nozzles, they have more mass, have a larger footprint and will suffer from the same shading issues as the straight flow nozzles. I run both, and I enjoy having the spinstream nozzles, they're a great way to break up your flow for $20 but if the primary objective is to reduce the space occupied by the return nozzle to decrease shading on whatever is placed below them, the spinstreams will not be any more effective in achieving that end than the included straight flow nozzles. 

My apology if my comment has confused you and some people. It was not meant for an attack nor telling him that he is wrong. I think there has been a misunderstanding here. 

I am well aware that the nozzles that come with the tank is removable. I am not using them since day one as I am using spinstreams.

I thought when he said "tips" he was referring to the clear pipe tips where you would attach spinstreams or any other nozzles. Those are what I would call tips as nozzles are the ones that you attach to the pipe tips.

KyleAwesome
14 minutes ago, Canadianeh said:

My apology if my comment has confused you and some people. It was not meant for an attack nor telling him that he is wrong. I think there has been a misunderstanding here. 

I am well aware that the nozzles that come with the tank is removable. I am not using them since day one as I am using spinstreams.

I thought when he said "tips" he was referring to the clear pipe tips where you would attach spinstreams or any other nozzles. Those are what I would call tips as nozzles are the ones that you attach to the pipe tips.

bda7b8109cd69e3b0b446534e760a440.png 

Text can be an imperfect medium for conveying intent/emotion/all that. I'll admit, my default state for internet communications is apprehension, call it electoral PTSD. 

IME, the loc-line stuff does fit, but I haven't tried this with the IM 20, so ymmv!

• 3 years later...
On 3/10/2017 at 10:58 AM, KyleAwesome said:

I understand this is a 3 year old threat, but if you're still using the spinstream or other folks are, how's the noise level?  I read they're loud, but I guess overtime (how much time?) it quiets a bit.

I bought mine without nozzle and looking for an option.  I may just leave the return bare.  As for critters crawling it, it would be tough going against flow.

thanks

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2017 at 7:15 AM, ry05coupe said:

Thats what i did. Orings hold tube in place

• Like 1