Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3 Gallon Picotope!- Clean Slate

JoeR

Guess I'm boring everybody with my questions huh lol.

Well, maybe trying to decide where to put all these new corals from saltcritters will be more interesting. I numbered all of the ones that are staying in this tank and need permanent spots, but I have no idea where they should go ESPECIALLY the acans. (Do they really need to go on a perfectly flat surface? Can it be roundish?)

They're all doing great where they are except #2 who bleached for whatever reason. I'm beyond surprised how fast the yellow/purple birdsnest is growing, so that's definitely something to consider when placing it.

The arrows point to possible spots to place the acans- but any input on where to put these 6 corals permanently is appreciated and very much needed..

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG

• Like 1

My particular little teal and brown acan doesn't seem to love much light or flow so I have it tucked where it doesn't get too much of either.  Your mileage may vary lol.

Also, went and looked at your last post, I dunno what it was but chaeto could prob help soak up excess nutrients in the tank. :)

11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

My particular little teal and brown acan doesn't seem to love much light or flow so I have it tucked where it doesn't get too much of either.  Your mileage may vary lol.

Also, went and looked at your last post, I dunno what it was but chaeto could prob help soak up excess nutrients in the tank. :)

Yeah my two teal/turquoise acans seem to prefer less light than the other, so their permanent home will be a little more shady. But my main question relating on where to put them is what kind of surface I can put them on. I read it's best for them to be in sand (can't put them in the sand because of the hermits flipping them) or on a flat rock, but none of the rocks are exactly flat. I guess worst case I'll have to break them off and reglue them somewhere else.

The red fuzz is still a problem in the tank, so next time I'm at the store I'll pick up some chaeto since it can't hurt. I really don't understand why it's a problem, I do weekly water changes and replace the FF weekly as well. Params are good/perfect.

1 hour ago, JoeR said:

Yeah my two teal/turquoise acans seem to prefer less light than the other, so their permanent home will be a little more shady. But my main question relating on where to put them is what kind of surface I can put them on. I read it's best for them to be in sand (can't put them in the sand because of the hermits flipping them) or on a flat rock, but none of the rocks are exactly flat. I guess worst case I'll have to break them off and reglue them somewhere else.

The red fuzz is still a problem in the tank, so next time I'm at the store I'll pick up some chaeto since it can't hurt. I really don't understand why it's a problem, I do weekly water changes and replace the FF weekly as well. Params are good/perfect.

Might just be a weird new tanky algae thing.  New tanks can have weird stuff going on for months lol.

• 1 month later...

FYI: IKEA Is amazing. This new architect lamp was only $10! It comes in several colors but I got the grey one. I'm pretty impressed with it so far, it works with the 12 watt (emphasize on only the 12) bulb I have. I think the range is a little narrower than the other lamp now but it still works great.

This tank is doing great still in other news. The new filter has helped with the purple algae a ton. But another FYI; go with the AC70. It wouldn't hurt to have even more flow than what the AC50 provides. Dying to get some more coral though. Oh and the gorgs aren't doing so hot.... nbd if they don't make it- lesson learned; never believe the LFS people. I think I'm going to trade the NPS gorg for a PS gorg like the purple ones on KPAquatics.

IMG_3567.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh and I'm in love with acans. Those along with zoas grow fast enough to be considered invasive for me! The one on the bottom started with 3 polyps a few weeks ago, has over 10 now! 

IMG_3632.JPG

• Like 3
gone_PHiSHin
On 9/19/2017 at 6:08 PM, JoeR said:

FYI: IKEA Is amazing. This new architect lamp was only $10! It comes in several colors but I got the grey one. I'm pretty impressed with it so far, it works with the 12 watt (emphasize on only the 12) bulb I have. I think the range is a little narrower than the other lamp now but it still works great.

This tank is doing great still in other news. The new filter has helped with the purple algae a ton. But another FYI; go with the AC70. It wouldn't hurt to have even more flow than what the AC50 provides. Dying to get some more coral though. Oh and the gorgs aren't doing so hot.... nbd if they don't make it- lesson learned; never believe the LFS people. I think I'm going to trade the NPS gorg for a PS gorg like the purple ones on KPAquatics.

IMG_3567.JPG

haha this picture really puts the size of this tank into perspective with that lamp next to it!

i, too, LOVE acans and have great growth with them.  i feed them a mixture of reef roids, coral frenzy, and reef chili and they pop out new heads pretty regularly!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

haha this picture really puts the size of this tank into perspective with that lamp next to it!

i, too, LOVE acans and have great growth with them.  i feed them a mixture of reef roids, coral frenzy, and reef chili and they pop out new heads pretty regularly!

Yep that's why I like it- it may be small, but it's chalk full of life! Love seeing how much life I can pack into it, never ceases to amaze me.

You mix all three of those together and feed them all three at once, or you feed each type separately? How often do you feed? I don't have much time right now since I work full time, go to college, help at the family business, etc. (excuses excuses, I know) so I honestly only feed mine once or twice a week max. Just chopped mysis mixed with Phyto for the other coral and sponges. They're happy though so I guess I'm doing something right..

gone_PHiSHin

sometimes i feed just one, sometimes i mix them, sometimes i add a couple drops of Selcon too.

i feel that variety is best, for corals or fish 

i feed about 3 times a week, with a heavier feeding on water change day.

• Thanks 1

Well. Not more than 12 hours from the picture above, my birdsnest was knocked onto the acan... needless to say, acans are savages.  Just skeleton left on the one side...

I was just bragging on the acan too!

IMG_3687.JPG

• Sad 1

Random video update, see if you can spot any of my three sexies :) cant see her but Linda (my Pom Pom crab) is hiding somewhere...

Well it won’t load a video... lame... so here’s just a picture lol

B5FD6D5D-930B-456C-99AF-3402AA25CFD6.jpeg

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i love this little tank

whats the update on the birdsnest that lost to the acan?  am i not seeing it in there?

Thanks! I do too, and like I always say-  pictures don’t do justice at all. That’s why I was going to try the video. I always wonder if anyone even cares about updates though, seems I don’t get much feedback.

It was fine after the attack, but I think my sexies are eating it cuz it’s looking awful right now, hence why it’s tucked in the back near the intake for recovery. It was growing like crazy though! Everything in here is growing like crazy, including my Acro. It’s supposed to be neon yellow but now it’s more of a tan color, however It’s growing fast so i guess it’s happy. And my plating monti is gonna have to go soon, it’s growing way too fast and is going to block the light!

ps how do I get color back on my Acro??

• Like 1

you should keep the monti imo, just cut him back every so often.  if it grows well enough you can take those frags to the LFS for a little credit, it really is a nice green color.  i think it looks good in that spot, and those mushrooms and acans that might be a little shaded don't necessarily need a ton of light. 

as far as acros go, i'm no expert but i've always understood acros as browning out when they are lacking light, or your nutrients are too high.  i know someone else could better help you there. 

keep the updates coming, I'm reading them!

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

you should keep the monti imo, just cut him back every so often.  if it grows well enough you can take those frags to the LFS for a little credit, it really is a nice green color.  i think it looks good in that spot, and those mushrooms and acans that might be a little shaded don't necessarily need a ton of light. 

as far as acros go, i'm no expert but i've always understood acros as browning out when they are lacking light, or your nutrients are too high.  i know someone else could better help you there. 

keep the updates coming, I'm reading them!

How do I cut the monti back? Won’t it be ugly after I do that, as in a straight unnatural edge? And true, the corals below may be fine- I can always direct the light around it some. I would hate to get rid of it since it’s such a vibrant color, but if push comes to shove..

I’ll have to research the Acro some more, I’m sure the information is out there already- thanks for the starting place though

• 1 month later...

Here’s some of my loot I was telling you about @Lula_Mae, I got them settled on a makeshift frag rack. Pretty sure the red shroom has already doubled in size. Telling ya, you gotta make a trip to them on week they got good specials. It’s worth it! Granted, they’re never as good as 75% off but I’m always happy when I leave the place. I got most of these for my 8 gallon but since the light on that one is stock they have NO color under it. Sucks.

F60DEB1C-381D-40AD-BC15-1336FAE8DAE6.jpeg

C6C12B79-7EB7-4137-BEBD-450F592AB606.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Lately it’s been really cold here, and I couldn’t make RODI water and thus couldn’t do a WC on my regular schedule. So of course this algae/sludge grew out of NO WHERE probably as a result of that. 

I did my WC as usual yesterday but this time I took the AC off and put the chaeto in a cup and scrubbed the whole fuge to get rid of the algae. Afterwords I was wondering if that negates the point of a fuge? Do most people clean their fuge?  There was a decent amount of filth like detritus in there, but also good stuff like pineapple sponges and coralline. Just curious if I shouldn’t have done that.

This tank hasn’t had any new and exciting coral in a while so I figure it’s time. I want something “swishy” for lack of a better word. Something to add movement and life in here. Suggestions? The torch is nice but aggressive and has to be separated. So anything not aggressive like Euphyllia would be awesome but idk what to get.

CB5FA6E2-5A18-4AAA-882A-AC17FCFE83F6.jpeg

*Note the ridiculous Monti In this pic, it’s growing wayyy too fast. It’s super healthy so I’ll probably frag it soon.

• Like 1

If you're looking for more swishy stuff, check out long tentacle plate corals.  They'll need to be on the sand bed, but I'm super happy with mine. 

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

If you're looking for more swishy stuff, check out long tentacle plate corals.  They'll need to be on the sand bed, but I'm super happy with mine. 

Good idea! My sexy shrimp are eating my torch now, it hasn’t been extended in over a week, so I don’t know if they’d leave one alone or not. I have the torch sectioned off now but it’s still not looking too great.

In other news, my Pom Pom that I was CONVINCED was dead, was out today! And she has a huge egg sack! It’s quite unbelievable to wake up and see that..4B3A91EC-D587-483C-9701-579CC7D67FA0.thumb.jpeg.265353c0a9c20be1bfa9fdafcbe31224.jpeg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

so how is it carrying eggs??

how long has it been in there?

I have no idea, I literally thought it was dead cuz I’ve not seen her in weeks. She’s been in there maybe around 2-3 months? Honestly I have no idea.