ReefCleaners.org

3 Gallon Picotope!- Clean Slate

JoeR

That's Codium, it's the same macroalgae that you see in the center of the pic on the far right of my Sig. 

I like it, but I bet you could find it cheaper than that. 

Yep, there's a shorter and taller form of it for much less here: https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/plants-macroalgae

You wouldn't really be able to see it in the back, would you? If not, I'd stick with Chaeto back there and put some Codium in the main part of your tank. 

It's pretty and easy to care for. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

That's Codium, it's the same macroalgae that you see in the center of the pic on the far right of my Sig. 

Yep, there's a shorter and taller form of it for much less here: https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/plants-macroalgae

You wouldn't really be able to see it in the back, would you? If not, I'd stick with Chaeto back there and put some Codium in the main part of your tank. 

Sorry I can't see your sig, I'm on my smartphone. That is much cheaper, thanks for the link! I don't have the slightest clue what websites are trustworthy or not other than liveaquaria so that's where I look (but not buy lol). I was thinking in the back because it grows so large, that way it could have almost as much room as it wants and it fills in the empty space. I like it enough to put it in the front too, but it's easy to forget how small my tank really is.

oooh I like the red gracilaria, flame, and mermaids fan a lot too!

3 hours ago, JoeR said:

I was talking about the random hitchhikers (starfish, worm, and zoa) that have randomly showed up in my tank weeks after starting it lol. Like where did the zoa come from? None of my zoas are neon yellow so I have no idea. 

I tried moving them closer/further from the light, into more/less flow, etc. still won't open. It's been a while since I tried moving them so maybe I'll give higher flow/light a try again.

I had a tank set up for over a year and a half and when I moved, one of the rocks randomly sprouted blue clove polyps lol. :happy:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

I have worked with John Maloney at ReefCleaners many times and would definitely recommend them. 

KP Aquatics is another really good place to check out. I was just browsing their site and they have a lot of good stuff right now: http://www.kpaquatics.com/product-category/marine-inverts/algae/

I keep forgetting you can't see my Sig, sorry!!

KP has really cool red micro brittle stars, may have to get one

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JoeR said:

KP has really cool red micro brittle stars, may have to get one

I wondered if you'd see that! :D

Pay close attention to their descriptions and care requirements for everything. 

They are very reputable and know their stuff. 

On 3/15/2017 at 3:13 PM, Weetabix7 said:

I also meant to ask if growing something like codium provides the same effect a fuge? Or is a fuge still better somehow?

Ordered the new light today :D should be here Tuesday (even though it's amazon prime:angry:)

You made me laugh about the Amazon Prime, cause I got annoyed just the other day that some tank stuff I ordered was taking longer than it should to arrive & I have Amazon Prime too. :lol: (mine arrives tomorrow)

So what light did you order?

Growing Macroalgae in the tank would have the same effect as growing in a fuge, except that in a fuge pod populations grow more because of lack of predation. 

It just depends on what you're trying to accomplish. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

You made me laugh about the Amazon Prime, cause I got annoyed just the other day that some tank stuff I ordered was taking longer than it should to arrive & I have Amazon Prime too. :lol: (mine arrives tomorrow)

So what light did you order?

Growing Macroalgae in the tank would have the same effect as growing in a fuge, except that in a fuge pod populations grow more because of lack of predation. 

It just depends on what you're trying to accomplish. 

I ended up buying the tuna blue LED bulb that you have, for the price you can't beat it.

I get very annoyed with prime. I bought the gooseneck and the bulb separate, but both prime, and the gooseneck will be here the 20th but the bulb won't be here till the 22nd?? How is that 2-day? At least It's just the 6-month free student trial...

I don't know what pods are, but really my goal is to keep the tank as healthy yet low-maintenance as possible. I've been using the sponge and chemi-pure elite in the filter, but if I turned it into a fuge I wouldn't need a sponge so that would cut down on a little maintenance I think. But at the same time having the light over the fuge is kind of ugly...

1 hour ago, JoeR said:

Ordered the new light today :D should be here Tuesday (even though it's amazon prime:angry:)

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Ha I am the same way about Amazon Prime!  It seems to depend sometimes on the warehouse it's coming from.  I do often have stuff arrive sooner than expected if it's supposedly going to take 3-4 business days.

If it makes you feel better, I've had two packages delayed due to the big snowstorm Tuesday.  The last three days they've spent "on a truck for delivery" but at the end of the day it's said that delivery was delayed due to emergency or severe weather... :huh:  I guess my packages have been taking the scenic tour around the state (the UPS center is 25 mins from the delivery address) :lol:  They were delivered a short time ago, though, and as soon as traffic improves I'm on my way to get them!  Yay city living? :closedeyes:

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I'd say keep the sponge and the chemipure and put a plant or two in the display. 

Codium isn't a bad one to start with.

That's probably what I'll end up doing, but I'm not completely set on specifically codium since it may outgrow the tank too quickly. May opt for a smaller/slower growing macroalgae if there are any.

With the new light, I now have so many more options for corals... with that said, what are some suggestions?? Please note that I won't be dosing anything, though I don't think you even can in a 3G. Since space is limited, I'm really going to try to only get very unique corals and pass on anything marginal lol.

I know I want some movement, so Xenia are definitely on the list. Also going to get the macroalgae. Other than that, I'm open to any/all suggestions! 

My first suggestion would be to look at others' tanks and see what you like and research those corals and decide if you want to try those.  Xenia can sorta take over a tank so I'd recommend isolating it to a wall or a separate rock--same with GSP.  Personally, I love mushrooms, especially ricordea florida, St. Thomas, and discosoma carlgreni (pretty hard to find the last two kinds as they are not super common in the hobby--the ones I've got came from Reef Gardener).  I am trying LPS for the first time--I have turquoise trumpets (aka candy canes) and blastomussa merlettis which are violet rimmed with minty green centers (most of the time they are red rimmed with bright greenish centers).  Blasto merlettis and blasto wellsis (which have larger polyps/heads) do come in different color variations.  Zoanthids and palythoas are of course a popular option and they come in a number of different colors.  Some of the rarer ones will go for $50 or more a polyp!  As long as you take it easy on the number of calcerous (stony) corals and macros you add, and change the water regularly (say, weekly) you shouldn't need to worry about dosing.

Macroalgae is a great way to add some neat textures and colors to your tank as well--I have a few in my tank.  Some I'd suggest are the blue scroll algae, red palm algae, codium, dragon's breath & halimeda, though there are tons to choose from.  Lots of neat textures in caulerpa species though if they get into your rockwork they can be a pain to get rid of (they grow quickly and are excellent for nutrient export if you thin them regularly...otherwise they can take over lol).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

My first suggestion would be to look at others' tanks and see what you like and research those corals and decide if you want to try those.  Xenia can sorta take over a tank so I'd recommend isolating it to a wall or a separate rock--same with GSP.  Personally, I love mushrooms, especially ricordea florida, St. Thomas, and discosoma carlgreni (pretty hard to find the last two kinds as they are not super common in the hobby--the ones I've got came from Reef Gardener).  I am trying LPS for the first time--I have turquoise trumpets (aka candy canes) and blastomussa merlettis which are violet rimmed with minty green centers (most of the time they are red rimmed with bright greenish centers).  Blasto merlettis and blasto wellsis (which have larger polyps/heads) do come in different color variations.  Zoanthids and palythoas are of course a popular option and they come in a number of different colors.  Some of the rarer ones will go for $50 or more a polyp!  As long as you take it easy on the number of calcerous (stony) corals and macros you add, and change the water regularly (say, weekly) you shouldn't need to worry about dosing.

Macroalgae is a great way to add some neat textures and colors to your tank as well--I have a few in my tank.  Some I'd suggest are the blue scroll algae, red palm algae, codium, dragon's breath & halimeda, though there are tons to choose from.  Lots of neat textures in caulerpa species though if they get into your rockwork they can be a pain to get rid of (they grow quickly and are excellent for nutrient export if you thin them regularly...otherwise they can take over lol).

Thanks for your input as always! I already have been looking at others tanks like you said, but I was just curious what are some of y'alls favorites. Some of the "must-haves" if you will. I love zoas, but I already have too many lol and I'd like to move past softies.

so stay away from calcerous (what are macros?) corals... got it. I'll research the macroalgae you suggested as well.

Haha sorry macros = macroalgaes.  You can do stony corals (the calcerous ones--meaning they use calcium to make their skeletons) but I would add them slowly and probably monitor calcium levels in your tank to make sure they aren't depleting faster than your water changes are replacing...if that makes sense.  Like I said, I've just added my first two stony corals and am waiting to see how they do in my tank before I jump to add more. :)

Lps and sps use up alk, ca, and mag. Theres no way avoiding it besides sticking with softies.

At some point you may need to dose due to their consumption. Or do many waterchanges since its a pico. 

Frogspawn, hammers, blastos, acans, are all very nice corals.

12 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Lps and sps use up alk, ca, and mag. Theres no way avoiding it besides sticking with softies.

At some point you may need to dose due to their consumption. Or do many waterchanges since its a pico. 

Frogspawn, hammers, blastos, acans, are all very nice corals.

I was under the impression that you can't dose anything in such a small pico- but maybe I'm wrong. Would one 20-30% water change a week be able to sustain a few?

I have a screenshot of these corals that I LOVE but I can't find the thread... any idea what type of corals these are?

IMG_1009.PNG

3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Those look like SPS, they'd be harder to keep without dosing. 

I have one coral already thats an sps- I think it's called a cup coral? It's done good so far, but hasn't grown much at all especially compared to the softies. Not sure if that means anything though.

Would it be expensive to dose whatever I'd need for more sps? I don't want to go overboard with them or anything, but maybe one or two like the ones in the picture would be nice.

Two-part dosers seem to start around $20ish?  And in a pico they'd last for a while.  You can also do bigger water changes, especially if you start feeding (I feed heavily once or twice a week and do almost a full water change, matching temp and salinity).  Right now I'd recommend getting the basics down with softies and LPS and in a couple months or so, start looking towards easy SPS corals.  If you don't have a lot of stony corals, you shouldn't need to dose, but the more you add, the more your calcium and whatnot get depleted so needing to dose may become a possibility.  Just take it slow; a very old reefing adage is that nothing good happens fast in this hobby. ;)

Once you've got the basics down and feel comfortable taking on more challenging material, I highly recommend reading some of Brandon's posts around the forum.  He has a reef in a vase that is over 10 years old; he feeds heavily, does 100% water changes, and doses in his picos, and he has a lot of knowledge that he's happy to share. :)

• Like 1

New light! SOO much better now... but I see why everyone has such a hard time with photos under this light. I used snapseed but it still doesn't look good.

IMG_1079.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some new coral! Two $1 zoa frags, one pink and one orange&green, a $17 orange Ricordea that's somewhat shrunk up in the picture, and a $15 "forgot what he said it was called" lol. If someone knows what it is that would be awesome, he said it will grow over anything. I'm in love with the ricordea though, it has fantastic color!

Again, bad pictures that don't show the true colors

IMG_1159.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

• Like 1