inTank Media Baskets

A very neat pico specific new heater, preset to reef temps

brandon429

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/03/06/nisso-micro-disc-heater-for-the-smallest-of-tanks/

Now that's amazing :) Ive waited a long time for that slim of a form factor. After a year or so of watching other people run them, I w surely change to this in my vase for a heater one cannot see. I didn't want to setup the external controller and wiring...this was very neat to see a release geared towards picos

yes agreed I must watch it in others picos for quite a while lol :) I googled it and found nothing local to buy its to be released. maybe already avail overseas possibly but no ready source as of yet which is kind of a drag, I assumed before posting we could amazon it though I didn't check!

natalia_la_loca

I would consider one of these too because the Betta Stik, although small, doesn't have a thermostat and doesn't nestle well against the curve of my reefbowl. I would still probably plug it into the temperature controller though.

Available here if you want to pay for shipping from Japan.

I hope they get them back in stock soon. It seems like it says out of stock when I ran it through Google's translator. I know I'm eventually going to be looking for a smaller heater.

I saw this the other day. Very cool little heater indeed! This was the biggest difficulty was with a pico was always where to hide the giant heater. 

32 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

I would consider one of these too because the Betta Stik, although small, doesn't have a thermostat and doesn't nestle well against the curve of my reefbowl. I would still probably plug it into the temperature controller though.

Available here if you want to pay for shipping from Japan.

You may already be using one of these but back when I was running a pico without any controller assistance I used this thing. It just plugs inline with the heater and it was always reliable for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finnex-MAX-300-Aquarium-Digital-Heater-Controller-Control-Thermometer-300-Watts-/201535036889

natalia_la_loca
2 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

I saw this the other day. Very cool little heater indeed! This was the biggest difficulty was with a pico was always where to hide the giant heater. 

You may already be using one of these but back when I was running a pico without any controller assistance I used this thing. It just plugs inline with the heater and it was always reliable for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finnex-MAX-300-Aquarium-Digital-Heater-Controller-Control-Thermometer-300-Watts-/201535036889

I actually use a more expensive version of this from Finnex, available here. It's worked really well for a year now.

37 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

I use the one you linked to and it's working just fine for me.  I did have to calibrate it to a couple of thermometers as it's displayed temp is 2-3 degrees off from actual temp.

I would probably use one of these with that new little heater as well.  It looks like it has potential!   

Nifty little heater!  I think it definitely has great potential.  Fingers crossed we can get it in the U.S. sooner than later!

I was setting up a small vase (1.2L) to be a medication testing "tank." Just the pump alone increases temperature to high 80's

Personally, I'd be very nervous about 50w in a sub-5-gallon tank lol.  I have a 50w Tetra preset in mine right now but have just ordered a 25w controllable to try out because even though it's kept my tank rock steady at 78 degrees, it's a very inexpensive heater and I don't want it malfunctioning lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be concerned with a 50W heater in a 15 gallon tank.

Eheim doesn't have the best track record with heaters. They have had a couple of recalls.

I could see those ceramic heaters still being kind of awkwad to use. They are nice and slim, but the disc shape may make it difficult to place.

no eta on them

just order a neotherm 50w off amazon its what ive used two yrs. 8 yrs before that it was a single tetra preset at 78 degrees. bulky but w work until the better ones come out.

clearly you can do the small heater and external controller too if you want all that gear. I used to just glue corals to my actual heater, it didn't kill them. when heater swap time came (preemptively, before they crashed, its anyones guess date I used tetra 8 yrs before most recent change w no probs whole time) I would just frag the corals off the heater and glue them to the next one. Ive used 100 watt heaters in reefbowls as well, wattage doesn't matter when I use them. only size

55 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

no eta on them

just order a neotherm 50w off amazon its what ive used two yrs. 8 yrs before that it was a single tetra preset at 78 degrees. bulky but w work until the better ones come out.

clearly you can do the small heater and external controller too if you want all that gear. I used to just glue corals to my actual heater, it didn't kill them. when heater swap time came (preemptively, before they crashed, its anyones guess date I used tetra 8 yrs before most recent change w no probs whole time) I would just frag the corals off the heater and glue them to the next one. Ive used 100 watt heaters in reefbowls as well, wattage doesn't matter when I use them. only size

Is the 50w the same size as the 25w?

Oceanbox Designs

Preset heaters are scary! I've been using this one in my 2G pico, 5g mixing container, and QT tank at some point for over 2 years. I love the built-in external controller and the glass element is super tiny, about 5.5" long x 0.5" in diameter. Since it's been so reliable, it's now available to order on my website and I'd recommend this to anyone who purchased my tanks or own pico/nano tanks for up to 10 gallons.

https://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/ultra-slim-mini-50w-heater-wexternal-controller/

hey that is fantastic, especially if you have 2 yr ongoing verification w it etc. that's really good I might need one :)

Other than size I don't view the preset heaters as any worse than other electronics in general regarding fails, I got 8 yrs out of a wal mart cheapo. since the 80s ive never had one die on me either...not one and Ive never been without a tank since then

am awr of the online horror stories etc, been lucky. I wonder if that one you sell has special wiring approaches or hardware designs that make it less fail risk

1 hour ago, Oceanbox Designs said:

Preset heaters are scary! I've been using this one in my 2G pico, 5g mixing container, and QT tank at some point for over 2 years. I love the built-in external controller and the glass element is super tiny, about 5.5" long x 0.5" in diameter. Since it's been so reliable, it's now available to order on my website and I'd recommend this to anyone who purchased my tanks or own pico/nano tanks for up to 10 gallons.

https://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/ultra-slim-mini-50w-heater-wexternal-controller/

That's the one from Aqua Forest Aquariums right?  I just got the 25w version for my tank and really like it.  It's very small and the external control is great!

Oceanbox Designs
4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

That's the one from Aqua Forest Aquariums right?  I just got the 25w version for my tank and really like it.  It's very small and the external control is great!

Yep and it's perfect in every way. The only regret is I wish I would've found it sooner :) 

Archived