inTank Media Baskets

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

The rock is continuing to look good, as does Houdini.

I think your plan is a good one, and the suggestion of adding bacteria is also good. 

Good luck with the move, such a short one should go well.

Looking forward to pics of the new Rockscape.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Astinus said:

Houdini is looking good.   His next Molt and the Claw will be bigger :)

Thanks! 

Do you know if the pale color can still be because of the molting? I am going to feed him more different things. But so far I have only seen him eat the salmon and honey. He is in my bedroom now, so mostly left alone, which I think is good :)

4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

The rock is continuing to look good, as does Houdini.

I think your plan is a good one, and the suggestion of adding bacteria is also good. 

Good luck with the move, such a short one should go well.

Looking forward to pics of the new Rockscape.

Thanks! I will try to make pictures later tonight when it is dark outside. It isn't perfect (enough) yet, but def. Better then before. 

Also, your clown is so cute! He almost makes me rethink my stocking plans! 

16 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks! I will try to make pictures later tonight when it is dark outside. It isn't perfect (enough) yet, but def. Better then before. 

Also, your clown is so cute! He almost makes me rethink my stocking plans! 

Really??

Aw, thanks!!

He is growing on me.

I actually have several pics that are better, just haven't posted 'em yet. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks! 

Do you know if the pale color can still be because of the molting? I am going to feed him more different things. But so far I have only seen him eat the salmon and honey. He is in my bedroom now, so mostly left alone, which I think is good :)

I do think he will darken some in time.  Of course it will depend on Diet and other factors.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Astinus said:

I do think he will darken some in time.  Of course it will depend on Diet and other factors.

I don't mean that I mind this color, just usually that pale looking/color drained appearances mean something is not quite right. 

So hence my worries. 

Nh3: 0.25

No2: 0.25

No3: 0.5

Things are going okay. Working on the rocks, got them a little smaller already  but still need to make a good scape that uses the tanks height better. 

Front,: 

IMG_20170430_190748

Side: 

IMG_20170430_190800

Houdini today

IMG_20170430_190854

• Like 4

Scaping IS hard, you're right!!

I personally find it even more difficult in taller tanks, like the tank I have all my Macroalgaes in right now. So, I feel your pain!!

I like the side view, and I do think that breaking up part of the rock helped. 

Just think of it as a "work in progress", which all Reef Tanks are, really. ;)

Also, have you had your LFS test your water to confirm you're getting correct results?

Just asking cause of your continual low level of ammonia results.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Scaping IS hard, you're right!!

I personally find it even more difficult in taller tanks, like the tank I have all my Macroalgaes in right now. So, I feel your pain!!

I like the side view, and I do think that breaking up part of the rock helped. 

Just think of it as a "work in progress", which all Reef Tanks are, really. ;)

Also, have you had your LFS test your water to confirm you're getting correct results?

Just asking cause of your continual low level of ammonia results.

Yes, cube tanks are a pain in the .... I should have realised before. But oh well. 

I will take water next time I go, but that might be a few weeks. 

Things are still looking really good, and every thing continues to be alive. Even after smashing some of the rocks. So maybe it is time to get some cuc working after my exam, and after I completed the scape. 

I mean, if the ammonia was really that bad the whole time, I wouldn't have all these macros staying alive, right? 

I am using colombo testsets. I will send a picture in the next update. 

Weetabix7

So.... was that Houdini's molt?

He looks the same color as the rock in the last pic. 

I'm not familiar with colombo test kits at all so can't comment on quality or accuracy, unfortunately. :(

19 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

So.... was that Houdini's molt?

He looks the same color as the rock in the last pic. 

I'm not familiar with colombo test kits at all so can't comment on quality or accuracy, unfortunately. :(

2017-05-04_04-52-33

This was his color before the mold. 

Ah okay, the animal shop said this was the best test they had. So i think it should be ok. 

• Like 1

Okay, now I am defenitely wondering  if you aren't right about the test, Weetie.. the tank looks good, the macros are growing, and the water is crystal clear.. 

Yet:

Nh3 : 0-0.25 (this is what i wonder about. Shouldnt tha just be zero? With such good growth?)

No2: 0

No3: 2.0

Side: (i drew lines according to the golden ratio, because i am a nerd like that:happydance: and so i can scape more easily when my exams are done)

2017-05-05_07-54-16

Topview:

2017-05-05_07-55-06

Macro up close

2017-05-05_07-56-46

• Like 2
13 hours ago, yungKitten said:

I'm a rule of thirds man myself.

Are you going to draw the spiral through it?

maxresdefault.jpg

Don't think so, I just want to get the proportions right, and have the attention spots in the right order. The scape just feels horribly off right now, and I know that this is what will make it look good :)

• Like 1

Loads of algae, but also other new life popping up. Seeing some more feather dusters, and new macros keep growing. 

However, also spotted this creamy whiteish thing. What do you think aiptasia? (Middle of picture, under te overhanging part of the rock)

2017-05-07_11-12-34

Heavy exam tomorrow, but will work and finish the scape somewhere next week. Finally! 

yungKitten
48 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Loads of algae, but also other new life popping up. Seeing some more feather dusters, and new macros keep growing. 

However, also spotted this creamy whiteish thing. What do you think aiptasia? (Middle of picture, under te overhanging part of the rock)

2017-05-07_11-12-34

Heavy exam tomorrow, but will work and finish the scape somewhere next week. Finally! 

Possibly, but I don't think so. Aiptasia is usually a little more brown. Also it looks like that creature has a hard tube body. You could always give it a poke to see if it is solid or squishy. If it is solid, it's definitely not Aiptasia.

Good luck with your exams!

• Like 1
Weetabix7
7 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

Possibly, but I don't think so. Aiptasia is usually a little more brown. Also it looks like that creature has a hard tube body. You could always give it a poke to see if it is solid or squishy. If it is solid, it's definitely not Aiptasia.

Good luck with your exams!

Agreed, that is a good way to tell. 

• Like 1

It was gone when I came back from my exam. Have been working on the scape all morning. I think I killed quite some corraline algae and probably also a lot of macros. The stone was out of the water for about two hours (but I kept it wet with wet towels) however, de coralline (how do you write it?) Algae became all lighter colored. So don't think its a good sign. Tank is all cloudy now because of the cementlike glue I used (shouldn't harm anything living though). So I have to wait untill it is cleared up and will then add the last pieces. Wait again, and then do a big water change and add sand. Hopefully we will be ready to get our first stock next week, planning on a snail and a little frag. Maybe zoas, at least something that is strong! 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

It was gone when I came back from my exam. Have been working on the scape all morning. I think I killed quite some corraline algae and probably also a lot of macros. The stone was out of the water for about two hours (but I kept it wet with wet towels) however, de coralline (how do you write it?) Algae became all lighter colored. So don't think its a good sign. Tank is all cloudy now because of the cementlike glue I used (shouldn't harm anything living though). So I have to wait untill it is cleared up and will then add the last pieces. Wait again, and then do a big water change and add sand. Hopefully we will be ready to get our first stock next week, planning on a snail and a little frag. Maybe zoas, at least something that is strong! 

You may have a bit of a cycle from the rock not being submerged for that time period; check your levels for a few days before adding anything.  You can always put rocks in a bucket or cooler with water for future transport. :)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

You may have a bit of a cycle from the rock not being submerged for that time period; check your levels for a few days before adding anything.  You can always put rocks in a bucket or cooler with water for future transport. :)

I was not transporting it, but needed to work outside of the water for the scape. 

3 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

I was not transporting it, but needed to work outside of the water for the scape. 

Ah, sorry, thought it was from your move.  Yeah you want to limit rock time out of water to a few minutes because dieoff can start to happen pretty quickly. :unsure:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Ah, sorry, thought it was from your move.  Yeah you want to limit rock time out of water to a few minutes because dieoff can start to happen pretty quickly. :unsure:

Yes. 

But.... goodnews!!! We got ourselves some frags! On live rock, so more bacteria as well! And two turbo snails. We talked to the guy from the shop quite a while and he helped me choose the best things for me and my tank at this point.very happy. I got the corals for the price of the LR itself, so really cheap as well. Pictures tomorrow!

• Like 3