Coral Vue Hydros

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oooh, yes, it does look like the striped tentacles in that pic!!

In my experience, most of the worms that show up are harmless & helpful rather than negative, although it's always a good idea to check. 

Uni doesn't sound nearly challenging enough for you, what are you studying?

And how much longer will you be there before graduating?

I study plantsciences, and it is definitely challenging. I just... dont reallt like my current subject (bioinformatic tools on the computer to research DNA sewuences). Also, I study parttime due to healthissues. So I only have classes in the mornings at the moment. Keep in mind that university here is different than in the US. 

I actually had a discussion with someone from Canada last semester, in the US people almost never fail classes. And if you do, it is very negative. Here, well, we have subjects where only as little as 30% of people succeed on an exam. So yeah... 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Astinus said:

Ouch!  My head hurts just thinking of ur studies!

I do wish u well with ur studdies :)

Thanks! It is a lot of work, but I am a nerd after all. So I dont mind :)

35 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yeah, I've interesting discussions w/a Swedish friend on the differences between the European and American approach to education. 

I don't know what it is like in Sweden. But yeah, there are huge differences! I looked into studying in the US (before some shit happened), but not only is it super expensive, a lot of the studies there don't get you nearly the same degree here. So I would have to do reschooling if I ever wanted to go back to the NL. 

All in all, I do like plant sciences. But I hope to move on to nutrition and health once I get my bachelor degree (in'2018)

Also, @Weetabix7, should I continue to monitor the parameters daily? I think scaling it down to once every two/3 days won't hurt right? My ammonia is not spiking anymore, and the nitrites seem to slowly decrease. 

Anyways, here are some pictures.

IMG_20170411_124912

Bubble algae?

IMG_20170411_125120

I am really hoping what we see there (just left from the middle) is another feather duster and not aiptasia! These things have been popping up here and there. I find it hard to see the difference between the two. 

IMG_20170411_124748

Houdini

• Like 1

Testing every 2-3 days should be fine at this point. 

Yes, I did see a little bit of bubble algae. Remove rock from water & remove the bubbles without popping them if possible. If they do pop, rinse the area they were on briefly with FW to kill potential spores. 

Pic wasn't clear enough to tell weather it was a featherduster or aiptasia, tho I'm leaning towards featherduster. 

What are your eventual career goals after moving on to nutrition & health?

• Like 1

Did the cleaning! Rinsed the two parts with FW just to be sure. It was only on two really small spots, so that helps. 

Was a bit afraid for the feather dusters as I took the rock out of the water. But they immediately opened again when I put it back in. 

Yesterday I took water out to siphen out the debris, but it was so dirty I let it settle over night. Just put some of the water back in (untill the debris started to mix with the water again). Everything looking good now. 

Gonna do a small water change (to get out more debris) and measurements tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Nh3: 0

N02: 0.5 mg/l

No3: 0.5mg/l

Loads and loads of debris and algae are definitely growing. 

Before cleaning (20% wc)

IMG_20170412_120814

After

IMG_20170412_123926

Algae bloom 

IMG_20170412_123536

I should be making a pretty scape somewhere soon. Not sure how to do it. I  am thinking about breaking the right rock into smaller pieces and use it for securing the other two on top of each other. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Astinus said:

I actually like that Scape.  Looks good to me.

Thanks. But I want to have it more fit to the golden ratio. Getting it a bit more pleasing for the eye. 

Also, the tank is a cube. So the rock feels too low now for when I fill it all the way up. (It'll be filled a bit more tonight when the debris has settled down of the water I took out). 

I really love some rock works I see, but this just doesnt feel right. 

IMG_20170412_165546

• Like 1

Going back to my dormroom tomorrow, will do measuring/cleaning/small wc (if possible). 

Hoping to buy sand and maybe two trochus historio. But shouldn't add any CUC before I made a final scape and nitrites/trates are st zero right? 

Ammonia has been at zero for about a week now. 

Within that week ur Trites should be 0 by now and the trates may be at or near 0.

I think u should be fine...Be sure to test for Nitrates.

• Like 1

Nh3: 0

No2: <0.5

No3:<0.5

Po4:<0.03

Things are looking good, rocks look good. Loads of algae and diatoms though. We will hopefully go to the store saturday, pick up some sand for the bottom and two trochus historio to help with the algae. 

IMG_20170417_185607

IMG_20170417_185429

The feathers have grown so much over the past weeks!

IMG_20170417_185218

The red macros are growing 

• Like 3

Things can change so fast in a nano tank! 

This morning I uploaded those photo's, which i took last night,  and between last night and now... I found another creature. I think it is a macro? 

I am talking about the brownish thing that comes out of the hole in the rock. 

If you look at the last picture from my previous post, you see it is not visible there. 

What is it

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lisa166 said:

Things can change so fast in a nano tank! 

This morning I uploaded those photo's, which i took last night,  and between last night and now... I found another creature. I think it is a macro? 

I am talking about the brownish thing that comes out of the hole in the rock. 

If you look at the last picture from my previous post, you see it is not visible there. 

What is it

This looks to me like the siphon of a tunicate. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunicate

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

This looks to me like the siphon of a tunicate. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunicate

Looks scary

36 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

Fill 'er up!

She almost is full! Still siphoning out loads and loads of debris though. But am recycling that water. 

--------------------  - -------------------------    ------------

I see people changing their topic names when something important happens, but can't figure out how. 

Anyway, I THINK HOUDINI's CLAW IS REGENERATING!!! 

Hope it is actually true, I am so excited. 

Houdini is regenerating a claw!

IMG_20170418_183545

• Like 2
1 hour ago, yungKitten said:

@Lisa166 I think you go to the first post of the thread then select edit (next to quote) from there you can change the title of the thread.

Thank You

13 minutes ago, Astinus said:

Houdini will regenerate his Claw when he Molts :)

I know, he is not molting. But there is clearly something clawlike growing at exactly the right spot. So maybe he is close to molting! 

Which means I am doing something right :)

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

You're doing lots of things right!!!

Just now, Astinus said:

Indeed U are Lisa :)

Awh That is so sweet guys! 

Planning on doing some rockcleaning tomorrow. Itll get nasty! I will let the debris settle overnight and then do a small wc thursday to get the debris out and make the final scape. As well as getting the protection plate on the bottom out. 

That way everything should be ready for sand and possibly two trochus histrio saturay. 

• Like 2

Aquascaping is hard!!! 

Have tried a lot of possibilities, but still jot 100% satisfied. All tips are welcome! 

Filters/flowmakers will move to the backpart once the debris has settled down in the bucket and I can fill it up completely. 

IMG-20170419-WA0049

Tank params: 

Nh3: <0.25

N02:<0.5

No3:<0.25

Po4: 0

Not sure if this small spike in ammonia means I cannot add anything yet? Was planning on adding sand and two trochus historio this weekend. I guess it is caused by me cleaning all the rock yesterday, as well as moving it around for quite some time. Might have caused some die off. 

What do you think, should I wait with adding the sand and trochus untill it has once again reached 0 for a week? 

so, Houdini has made himself a tunnel! He was in there for a few minutes, but then came back above ground. Maybe due to me looking at him. So now I put a towel over that side of the tank to give him some rest (it's the side I cannot see when sitting on my couch, but it is visible when I walk through my room and I think he might notice me walking there/watching). 

IMG_20170420_162443

My tank has been filled up as much qs possible (for now). Letting the debris from yesterdays water settle again after accidentally stirring it up while taking water out. 

Front:

2017-04-20_06-45-52

Left: 

2017-04-20_06-46-16

Right:

2017-04-20_06-46-39