Cultivated Reef

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

Hi all!

Things are looking good! The new stand is set up, and this week I will start the new tank! I hope to have it set up before thursday, as that is when I am going to go shopping with a fellowreefer. 

This is going to be the view from my bed/couch. I will be able to watch supernatural and my tank at the same time :)

2017-10-02_08-02-25

Lights on, not yet sure about the middle light. I also have a third stocklight which I could use there. But the stock lightning seems really blue to me. I had a fight with the stockpump, I have tried tp hook it up to the returnnuzzles(?) But simply could not.  Decided to go with my dennerle pump or my sparepump for the time.being.

2017-10-02_07-59-24

The old tank is still doing amazing. Especially when you take into account the filtration. It only has LR, and a small sponge that came with the stockfilter. Last WC was a week ago. 

Decided to check params, as I was sure the clowns should add a lot of bioload and thus was sure my trates and phates would have skyrocketed.

Nh3: 0

No3: 0

Po4: <0.03

Kh: 7 (raised to 8)

Mg: 1350

Ca: 395

And here is a pic of the old tank. Getting ready for being taken down. 

( @Lula_Mae, no more #SHADOW) 

I took the rock out, broke off the pillar from the bottom rock, rinsed with some SW and put it all back in.

2017-10-02_07-59-42

• Like 3

I should actually sleep, so a longer update will be here tomorrow. But I had to show you guys this! 

I am so so happy with this tank, its so pretty and way more silent then the other one! Today, I packed it all over. I used 1/3 of new, natural, salt water. The rest is just tank water. Two smaller pieces of rock will leave for a friends tank on thursday, the same day I will (most likely) also pick up some frags to start my ricordia garden. 

IMG_20171002_205114

Left side:

IMG_20171002_205143

View through left window

IMG_20171002_205136

Right side

2017-10-02_08-55-06

When watching from the couch:

2017-10-02_09-04-54

Im still in doubt about putting in coral grid or leaving it BB. I'll wait untill the excess rock is gone and I have my first new frags and decide then. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
6 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Tank looks great. Do you know where you are going to get the ricordia from?

A tankfriend has met someone with amazing amounts of frags. He supposedly also has ricordias. We will see thursday :)

• Like 2

I may or may not be in love with this tank. I put in an eheim powerhead I still had (turnover is 20times tank amount/h) , as I could not get the stock pump connected. Its so silent! The only thing I hear is the sound of the timer that puts the lights on and off. 

Everything has been looking great so far. Except for one mushroom who just now decided to look very sad. 

2017-10-04_07-59-41

Rest is looking good:

2017-10-04_08-00-12

Guess what I'm looking at more, the tv or the tank? (Yes. That's supernatural)

2017-10-04_07-56-35

This was a few hours ago, mushroom still looked awesome

IMG_20171004_162626

Also, my clowns are fan of photobombing me. 

Attempts to make pictures of these nice corals:

IMG_20171004_162507IMG_20171004_163533

Attempts to make a pretty picture of Red. 

IMG_20171004_163712

And... the clown. 

IMG_20171004_163703

I'm not running any filtration atm. Besides the rock, that is. 

So if anybody knows why one of my corals is super sad while the rest is good. Lemme know :)

I'm also very tempted to go do the pico contest... 

• Like 3

I would not worry about one mushie if everything else seems good. Any thing could have upset it, a snail or fish. Give it another day or 2. I  have  now have my tank next to the TV and it love it compared to when it was on the opposite side of the room.

• Like 1
On 10/4/2017 at 2:12 PM, Lisa166 said:

I may or may not be in love with this tank. I put in an eheim powerhead I still had (turnover is 20times tank amount/h) , as I could not get the stock pump connected. Its so silent! The only thing I hear is the sound of the timer that puts the lights on and off. 

Everything has been looking great so far. Except for one mushroom who just now decided to look very sad. 

2017-10-04_07-59-41

Rest is looking good:

2017-10-04_08-00-12

Guess what I'm looking at more, the tv or the tank? (Yes. That's supernatural)

2017-10-04_07-56-35

This was a few hours ago, mushroom still looked awesome

IMG_20171004_162626

Also, my clowns are fan of photobombing me. 

Attempts to make pictures of these nice corals:

IMG_20171004_162507IMG_20171004_163533

Attempts to make a pretty picture of Red. 

IMG_20171004_163712

And... the clown. 

IMG_20171004_163703

I'm not running any filtration atm. Besides the rock, that is. 

So if anybody knows why one of my corals is super sad while the rest is good. Lemme know :)

I'm also very tempted to go do the pico contest... 

Wow, new tank looks incredible! :wub: Mushies can be moody, my husband is always pointing out when one of mine curls up an edge or whatever. :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks @debbeach13 and @Lula_Mae

I am so happy as well!  Tomorrow i will be doing the tests (NH3 to be sure, NO3, PO4, Mg, KH and Ca) and maybe do a small WC. At least I will try to remove some detritus, you see everything with this bare bottom setup!

I had to change something in the scape when i got the new corals thursday, not yet fully satisfied but i will work on that tomorrow as well. I think i might also start a new thread for this new tank :)

First, lets look at the corals! 

Current FTS, not really happy with the scape on the right. But i have to find out how to change it. Maybe i will break down the rock with the ricordia in two pieces. 

IMG_20171008_211622

Left part, collection of zoas and a bright green coral (upper left of pic). The person I got the frags from threw it in as a present, so if anyone knows what it is... 

2017-10-08_09-38-00

Okay. Picture got turned :/ closeup of the green thing.

IMG_20171008_211704

This macro broke off. I think i will try to put it back tomorrow. And dont forget the photobombing clown

IMG_20171008_211649

Beautiful ricordia

2017-10-08_09-32-04

The ricordia and the second present i got, a bright red mushroom. It's not attached atm, but I keep putting it on the rocks like i did the first time with the purple one. This picture also shows the rock that the ricordia is attached to, it's awesome and came with a lot of hitchhikers (some small , blue sea stars and a few brittle stars!) But i am not sure how to fit it well. Any tips? 

IMG_20171008_211627

And last, but not  least, my cute dog. She's been under the weather due toa bad inflammation for the last week, but she is slowly getting better with the antibiotics and painkillers. 

2017-10-08_09-33-27

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks @debbeach13 and @Lula_Mae

I am so happy as well!  Tomorrow i will be doing the tests (NH3 to be sure, NO3, PO4, Mg, KH and Ca) and maybe do a small WC. At least I will try to remove some detritus, you see everything with this bare bottom setup!

I had to change something in the scape when i got the new corals thursday, not yet fully satisfied but i will work on that tomorrow as well. I think i might also start a new thread for this new tank :)

First, lets look at the corals! 

Current FTS, not really happy with the scape on the right. But i have to find out how to change it. Maybe i will break down the rock with the ricordia in two pieces. 

IMG_20171008_211622

Left part, collection of zoas and a bright green coral (upper left of pic). The person I got the frags from threw it in as a present, so if anyone knows what it is... 

2017-10-08_09-38-00

Okay. Picture got turned :/ closeup of the green thing.

IMG_20171008_211704

This macro broke off. I think i will try to put it back tomorrow. And dont forget the photobombing clown

IMG_20171008_211649

Beautiful ricordia

2017-10-08_09-32-04

The ricordia and the second present i got, a bright red mushroom. It's not attached atm, but I keep putting it on the rocks like i did the first time with the purple one. This picture also shows the rock that the ricordia is attached to, it's awesome and came with a lot of hitchhikers (some small , blue sea stars and a few brittle stars!) But i am not sure how to fit it well. Any tips? 

IMG_20171008_211627

And last, but not  least, my cute dog. She's been under the weather due toa bad inflammation for the last week, but she is slowly getting better with the antibiotics and painkillers. 

2017-10-08_09-33-27

The bright green looks like a candy cane/trumpet coral. The ricordea looks a lot like a hairy or frilly mushroom! Hope pup feels better soon!

• Like 1

Thanks! @Lula_Mae, how do I see the difference between ricordia and a hairy mushroom? It got sold to me as a ricordia, but he also said it was part of the mushroom family? 

Yesterday ammonia, trates and phates were all at zero. Kh at 7, raised it to 8 again. After my exams (last week of october) i will start to measure it a few days in a row and then see how i can make a good dosing regime. Ca was 425, mg 1275 (bit low but i don't know how to raise it). 

Moonlight ricordia, you can't see on the pic but it looks bright green. 

IMG_20171008_212625

Moonlight buttons

IMG_20171008_212452

And this will be my contest pico. I dont expect to win anything. I mostly want an excuse to get a pompom crab. I think most of the corals will be fragged from my big tank (ir feels  like a really big challenge for me to make frags myself!). 

• Like 1

I did a 10% WC yesterday, but I decided to measure some params today anyway (let's call it a gut feeling). 

As almost always, NO3 and PO4 were at 0. So that's great. 

But, 

KH 7

Mg 1050

Ca 350

All quite low. I added some liquid reef i had lying around. I hope that will help, it doesn't clearly say how much the KH and Mg will go up, only says that for the Ca. So I will have to watch that carefully. 

I installed the new flowpump (with higher flow) and put the other one in my pico. Which now has a NH3 of 0.25.

I guess just let it go untill NH3 is at 0, then do a WC and add a first coral? 

With indirect tank light:

IMG_20171022_192531

Topdown view, the macro has now been glued to the rock.

IMG_20171022_192502

Corals will be a little difficult, due to moneys I will have to frag them from what I have in my tank, I have never made a frag before and I am nervous!

(I am actually nervous for everything pico related, but shht:scarry:

Now, pictures! 

I was trying to snap some close ups of the corals. But my clowns wouldn't let me :lol:.

I love how he actually looks at the camera in this pic. 

IMG_20171022_191938

A beautiful shot of the xenia

IMG_20171022_191814IMG_20171022_191849

Zoas, and some new macro algae that has been forming on the rock

IMG_20171022_191538

@Lula_Mae, you said that (what I bought as a ricordia) might be a hairy mushroom instead. When doing the WC yesterday, it got a little mad and closed up. Does this image of it look like a closed up hairy mushroom? Because the other mushies look so different when mad, so it made me wonder once again.. 

2017-10-22_07-13-20

2017-10-22_07-13-53

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

I did a 10% WC yesterday, but I decided to measure some params today anyway (let's call it a gut feeling). 

As almost always, NO3 and PO4 were at 0. So that's great. 

But, 

KH 7

Mg 1050

Ca 350

All quite low. I added some liquid reef i had lying around. I hope that will help, it doesn't clearly say how much the KH and Mg will go up, only says that for the Ca. So I will have to watch that carefully. 

I installed the new flowpump (with higher flow) and put the other one in my pico. Which now has a NH3 of 0.25.

I guess just let it go untill NH3 is at 0, then do a WC and add a first coral? 

With indirect tank light:

IMG_20171022_192531

Topdown view, the macro has now been glued to the rock.

IMG_20171022_192502

Corals will be a little difficult, due to moneys I will have to frag them from what I have in my tank, I have never made a frag before and I am nervous!

(I am actually nervous for everything pico related, but shht:scarry:

Now, pictures! 

I was trying to snap some close ups of the corals. But my clowns wouldn't let me :lol:.

I love how he actually looks at the camera in this pic. 

IMG_20171022_191938

A beautiful shot of the xenia

IMG_20171022_191814IMG_20171022_191849

Zoas, and some new macro algae that has been forming on the rock

IMG_20171022_191538

@Lula_Mae, you said that (what I bought as a ricordia) might be a hairy mushroom instead. When doing the WC yesterday, it got a little mad and closed up. Does this image of it look like a closed up hairy mushroom? Because the other mushies look so different when mad, so it made me wonder once again.. 

2017-10-22_07-13-20

2017-10-22_07-13-53

I've never had a hairy mushroom but a lot of mushies look funny when they ball up lol.

• Like 1

Look what I found this morning! 

That went fast! If you look at the pictures from yesterday (which were taken on sunday afternoon), they were not there! 

I'm a proud momma of these new zoa heads :lol: (bottom left of the zoa colony you see the new heads forming) 

Screenshot_2017-10-24-19-42-09

So, this should be fraggable as well right? 

I have a lot of work next week! :scarry: 

I plan to frag some things, because it's the only way to quickly give my pico some stocking. But I have no experience. And as you may have noticed in the past, I am a nervous human! 

Fragging plan:

-pulsing xenias: cut of one stalk and seperate it from the rock, glue on rock in pico

-zoas: cut a few heads off and seperate from the rock by sort of cutting underneath the heads ?, glue in pico

-gsp: put a knife under the purple mat and break pieces of that way?

-mushroom cut as close to rock as possible, then cut halfway through the mouth. Just throw in the pico and will attach itself? 

Once again, all tips welcome here. Even after half a year I'm still a newbie! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So, not everything went as planned. I had to stop the pico contest due to health issues and haven't been able to do anything in my tank for a while. 

But, after the exams and some hard work past week I managed to get some time into tank maintenance this weekend. A friend of mine invited me to come with him to another reeftank keeper and we splitted some frags he got, so that was a nice distraction from everything and also helped me to get back on track. 

Hope the frags will survive, because I wont be home much coming week, my wisdom teeth are getting removed tomorrow and I will stay at my parents house after to recover. :blush:

Here is some pictures of the most recent frags, any tips are welcome. I don't have any experience with hard/stony corals and I never thought about getting them. So it was a total suprise to find them in my tank. :scarry:

Before the new frags:

IMG_20171103_143231

My very first successful frag, which has now taken up residence in my friends tank. 

VID_20171101_172143

Trying to frag my mushroom, which would go into the pico. But as the pico has been taken down I had to create something to hold the frags untill they attach themselves to the rubble. 

IMG-20171103-WA0028IMG-20171104-WA0002

Cleaning the windows, you see a before and after piece here. 

• Like 2
IMG-20171104-WA0006

New corals, overview

IMG_20171104_171254

Left side, purple, acropora? 

IMG_20171104_170750

Middle, back, green ? 

IMG_20171104_171245

Behind the buttons.. 

And right side, dont know what it is. 

IMG_20171104_170745

• Like 2

I had to give the new frags away, my flow was insufficient to keep them alive and they started to look worse and worse and even showed real die off. (I ordered a better pump over a month ago, but it was broken. They would send a new one 'right away', but I haven't received anything even after 3 weeks!) 

I am going to try to get some time into the tank over the next couple of weeks. Make some frags and try to finalize coral spacing (every thing is still on frag plugs). Wish me luck :)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I just caught up on your thread after being super busy all fall. How arae things going now? Too bad you had to give away the new frags but it sounds like you made the right choice. Have you gotten the new pump yet?

I love the new tank, it's super pretty!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6-12-2017 at 4:23 AM, teenyreef said:

I just caught up on your thread after being super busy all fall. How arae things going now? Too bad you had to give away the new frags but it sounds like you made the right choice. Have you gotten the new pump yet?

I love the new tank, it's super pretty!

Thank you very much. I will reply a sort of small.update below! 

• Like 1

Hi all!

It has been a LONG time, and I am not sure where the time went exactly. I had to give up the pico contest and spend some time getting myself back together, which is going slower then I hoped. 

I am starting a theses on January 8th though, and that means I will be back on dorms full time, and thus spend more time with my tank. 

Fts: 

IMG_20171128_181718

I also haven't been able to keep up with all your tanks, sorry for that! 

Fragged red mushroom. The hairy mushroom.on the right decided to frag itself. 

IMG_20171207_165801IMG_20171117_171150

Despite being severely neglected, my tank is doing okayish. Everything is alive, besides a few frags that I tried to make from the large purple mushroom. The new pump came in after about a month of waiting, and it made a real difference for my tank and corals! Basically everything is growing like crazy, and I will try to make some frags from the hammer and the GSP with the help of a friend when I get back to dorms. 

IMG_20171128_181736

I hope to get some more buttons once I get all the things fragged that need fragging. 

I love buttons. 

IMG_20171117_171225

I also found out there were still more unknown tank inhabitants. 

Such as this guy, who will hopefully move to a friend's tank soon

IMG_20171207_194714

Houdini is still carrying on in his own tank. 

IMG_20171205_103234

IMG_20171205_103155

I don't know if I manage to read all updates everyone made. But I hope to at least catch up with some of you in the near future. 

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I have been busy with my theses and things are going well so far. 

I do have some questions, I hope someone can help me :)

Last week, I fragged the GSP and the green buttons. I also sold both and two older frags I made. I now have way more room for starting my zoa garden! :bowdown:the person who bought the frags was also very interested in pulsing xenia frags. So I attempted to make those today :)

No3 and Po4 keep themselves at 0, KH is usually on the low side. So I add KH+ manually. Mg and Ca are usually just right. I put some old, dried rock rubble in the back compartment, so I will have to make sure that I am not getting any problems with NH3 and PO4 now. Is this okay?

I hope the fragged xenia will be happier tomorrow. It's all looking very mad now. 

So, question:

I am also looking at the possibility of adding another cleaner, one of my turbo snails gave up a while ago. So now all I have are two turbos. I would love something else to be added to this, preferably not a snail. Any tips?

Well, on to pictures :)

Fragged green polyp:

IMG_20180111_181607

Happy fat mouths, this big rock is sold now so I want to add another sort of life rock soon to at least get some filtration back. 

IMG_20180111_172519

Hairy mushroom fragged itself

IMG_20180111_172337

The candy cane is also fragging itself!

IMG_20180111_154425

Old FTS

IMG_20180111_171955

New FTS

2018-01-17_07-54-35

And now, the best news I have to bring you! 

My clowns found a home!

IMG_20180115_190434

Hi!

IMG_20180115_190611

And last, but not least, a movie of these beauties being happy in their new home. 

VID_20180115_190218

Thanks for reading! 

• Like 3
StephLionfish

Beautiful tank! Years ago, my hometown carried liverock that was super luscious like yours. It was awesome; I'd get all kinds of critters grow on/in it... So much so, that I set up a whole 5g tank just for observing/feeding all of the hitchhikers. :wub: 

I hope your snuggle pup is feeling better!

• Like 1
Christopher Marks
On 1/17/2018 at 11:58 AM, Lisa166 said:

I am also looking at the possibility of adding another cleaner, one of my turbo snails gave up a while ago. So now all I have are two turbos. I would love something else to be added to this, preferably not a snail. Any tips?

Have you considered a skunk cleaner shrimp?

That's great to see your clowns hosting the hammer coral now, how cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, sorry I am mia so much atm!

Every time I think it will get less busy but it seems to only get busier! My tank is doing well, but the windows are heavy with algae simply due to lack of time. 

On 26-1-2018 at 12:02 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Have you considered a skunk cleaner shrimp?

That's great to see your clowns hosting the hammer coral now, how cool!

I have not considered that. The Dutch reefer community is not too easy on people putting clowns in smaller tanks, or someone who leaves their tank for a few days... so I have yet to ask for solid advice at stores and such. I will look into this cleaner shrimp. I just need something good at cleaning in their, because I am doing a pretty louzy job at it. 

On 26-1-2018 at 6:36 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Looks great, Lisa!  I haven't had much time to keep up either so don't feel too bad. :)

Thank you for reacting! It's a little hard because Reefing is my hobby and I love following everyone on this site and such. So yeah :/ 

On 5-2-2018 at 6:56 AM, teenyreef said:

Love it! It's funny how clowns will sometimes live in just about anything. Mine used to host in the gsp, but would never touch my euphyllia.

They like the GSP as well, it is right next to the hammer! 

Just a few pictures from when I had just cleaned the windows last week. I really need to clean the back compartment and the flowpump in their. Because the pump is getting all clogged up and it doesn't look to good. 

IMG_20180204_174209

IMG_20180204_174109IMG_20180204_173954

On 18-1-2018 at 6:01 AM, StephLionfish said:

Beautiful tank! Years ago, my hometown carried liverock that was super luscious like yours. It was awesome; I'd get all kinds of critters grow on/in it... So much so, that I set up a whole 5g tank just for observing/feeding all of the hitchhikers. :wub: 

I hope your snuggle pup is feeling better!

Tgank you so much! The live rock is great! Everyone says nanos are so hard to keep, but this live rock is the best filtration I could ever wish for! 

• Like 2