Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

It's been a while!!!

There is not much news on the tanks, so updating seemed a little pointless. I have just finished my last courses of the year and after that I spend two weeks snorkelling in Sardinia. Pictures of what we have been seeing will be posted sometime 

Later today I will move the tank (after this we only need one more move in september :mellow:), and hopefully I will be able.to finally buy a fishy and a replacement for Gary the week after. 

This is the only real new thing. 

:huh:Wtf. :wacko:Is. :unsure:this. :blink:

VID_20170721_105709

(Its a movie)

Just one picture to shiw my tank. But nothing has changed. The shroom in the frond decided to take a walk and then ended up being blown around. He is back in a good place now. The buttons were a little angry with me trying toto put the shroom.back to.its place. 

IMG_20170722_203005

IMG_20170722_203005

IMG_20170722_202958

IMG_20170722_203011

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

It's been a while!!!

There is not much news on the tanks, so updating seemed a little pointless. I have just finished my last courses of the year and after that I spend two weeks snorkelling in Sardinia. Pictures of what we have been seeing will be posted sometime 

Later today I will move the tank (after this we only need one more move in september :mellow:), and hopefully I will be able.to finally buy a fishy and a replacement for Gary the week after. 

This is the only real new thing. 

:huh:Wtf. :wacko:Is. :unsure:this. :blink:

VID_20170721_105709

(Its a movie)

Just one picture to shiw my tank. But nothing has changed. The shroom in the frond decided to take a walk and then ended up being blown around. He is back in a good place now. The buttons were a little angry with me trying toto put the shroom.back to.its place. 

IMG_20170722_203005

IMG_20170722_203005

IMG_20170722_202958

IMG_20170722_203011

Nice to see an update from you, been wondering how you were!!

That looks like a bivalve that is trying to reproduce in your tank..... I think. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Nice to see an update from you, been wondering how you were!!

That looks like a bivalve that is trying to reproduce in your tank..... I think. 

Thanks! You always react so fast! 

What is it and do I need to get it out/how? 

3 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks! You always react so fast! 

What is it and do I need to get it out/how? 

Clams are bivalves, it's something along those lines. 

You don't need to get it out, it poses no danger, just let it be and treat it as an interesting hitchhiker. :)

• Like 1
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

Clams are bivalves, it's something along those lines. 

You don't need to get it out, it poses no danger, just let it be and treat it as an interesting hitchhiker. :)

Thanks! 

I just had the greates realisation in human history. If my tank could hold a puffer (I believe there are no puffers suitable for this size of tank right?) I could have named the puffer... wait for it....

HELGA HUFFLEPUFFER! 

11 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

I just had the greates realisation in human history. If my tank could hold a puffer (I believe there are no puffers suitable for this size of tank right?) I could have named the puffer... wait for it....

HELGA HUFFLEPUFFER! 

I think there's a couple members keeping small puffers in 10-13 gallon tanks, teenyreef and TinyOcean.  I think they've got leopard toby and blue dot puffers, respectively.

That would be quite a name lol

Thank you!

I have never seen my tank bounce back from a stress situation this quickly! On tuesday evening everything was mad. Wednesday morning however, everythinf was looking great! The water may be clearer then I ever saw it! 

IMG_20170727_221914

Beautiful duster

IMG_20170727_221957

Unfortunately I have been getting some aiptasia, but the chaos of the moving has led me to not be able to actually remove it :( (bottom right)

IMG_20170727_222004

Our friend Houdini is doing great as well. I caught him climbing in the plants this morning. Never seen him do that before, it looked cute though. He is also getting less scared of me. He is hiding often, but if he is out and about, and I come to the tank, he will just stay there doing what he was doing. 

IMG_20170729_100045

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Thank you!

I have never seen my tank bounce back from a stress situation this quickly! On tuesday evening everything was mad. Wednesday morning however, everythinf was looking great! The water may be clearer then I ever saw it! 

IMG_20170727_221914

Beautiful duster

IMG_20170727_221957

Unfortunately I have been getting some aiptasia, but the chaos of the moving has led me to not be able to actually remove it :( (bottom right)

IMG_20170727_222004

Our friend Houdini is doing great as well. I caught him climbing in the plants this morning. Never seen him do that before, it looked cute though. He is also getting less scared of me. He is hiding often, but if he is out and about, and I come to the tank, he will just stay there doing what he was doing. 

IMG_20170729_100045

This is looking very healthy on the whole, and I really like the Green Palys. 

It's been fun watching this progress from those crazy, frantic early days. :)

• Like 1
nanoreefer15

Hey Lisa! I read your posts on your new reef tank and it looks amazing! I also want to start one and read your blog to learn from your experiences. Just one question, how did you break up the live rock for aquascaping?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, yungKitten said:

The zoas/palys look awesome!

Try to get out ahead of the aiptasia if you can.

Thank you! I keep saying I will do it 'today' but frankly, my life has been so chaotic the past few weeks... 

11 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

This is looking very healthy on the whole, and I really like the Green Palys. 

It's been fun watching this progress from those crazy, frantic early days. :)

Thank you! I am amazed too! I am so happy to be finally ready for fishes. I plan to go somewhere this week, as mom has to go to a friend nearby the shop anyway! They do want you to take some water and test it before you get to take a fish, which is something I aactually really like about the store. Making sure it's as safe as possible before selling you the fishies. 

8 hours ago, nanoreefer15 said:

Hey Lisa! I read your posts on your new reef tank and it looks amazing! I also want to start one and read your blog to learn from your experiences. Just one question, how did you break up the live rock for aquascaping?

This is such a nice thing to read! Thanks! This means a lot to me! 

I did that with a lot of patience... 

I took them out of the water, and broke them with a chisel and a hammer. But it's hard work and it takes quite some time. Be sure to have enough clean water around. Because it makes a mess! Also, don't try to fully plan how to break them. It won't work out anyway. You can sort of make a prediction by doing it at a certain angle though. 

Also, if you start a tank journal as well, link it to me! I love reading tank journals and following another one from the start will be great to see! 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Thank you! I keep saying I will do it 'today' but frankly, my life has been so chaotic the past few weeks...

Hehe I can totally identify...tank is looking really nice though! :happy:

(My tank finally got a water change after like 3 weeks...because I moved it to my new apartment! :lol:)

• Like 1

Thank you all again!

I have news: I have fishes! 

We went to the store and they tested my water... it is too clean! 

My water-what it should be

No3: 0 -0.25

Po4: 0 -0.01

Ca:390 -420

Mg: 1230 -1240

Kh: 8

So, they were all in for getting me a pretty fish. I ended up going home with one extra turbo snail, and two red spotted dwarf gobies. 

I decided to take on a reef like the one he has there, full of easy corals and with some smaller fishes. And in the end, a little pompom crab! 

For the coming two weeks I will look how this goes and decide on my next purchase. If my tank keeps doing this well, they adviced me to take another fishie in two about two weeks. 

I am still thinking about how to coral proof my tank, especially with the big pillar. Should I break it off sometime or are there other things to help? 

Fts:

2017-08-03_07-01-27

2017-08-03_07-01-42

https://flic.kr/p/XbnNSr

Pictures of new fish follow later

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Lisa166 said:

Thank you all again!

I have news: I have fishes! 

We went to the store and they tested my water... it is too clean! 

My water-what it should be

No3: 0 -0.25

Po4: 0 -0.01

Ca:390 -420

Mg: 1230 -1240

Kh: 8

So, they were all in for getting me a pretty fish. I ended up going home with one extra turbo snail, and two red spotted dwarf gobies. 

I decided to take on a reef like the one he has there, full of easy corals and with some smaller fishes. And in the end, a little pompom crab! 

For the coming two weeks I will look how this goes and decide on my next purchase. If my tank keeps doing this well, they adviced me to take another fishie in two about two weeks. 

I am still thinking about how to coral proof my tank, especially with the big pillar. Should I break it off sometime or are there other things to help? 

Fts:

2017-08-03_07-01-27

2017-08-03_07-01-42

https://flic.kr/p/XbnNSr

Pictures of new fish follow later

Great update, can't wait to see the fishies!!!

Maybe you could try breaking the pillar around the midpoint and take the top piece and lay it on it's side leaning up against that rock so it projects out into the middle of the tank a little bit.

10 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Great update, can't wait to see the fishies!!!

Maybe you could try breaking the pillar around the midpoint and take the top piece and lay it on it's side leaning up against that rock so it projects out into the middle of the tank a little bit.

Do you think the macros will survive that big of a change? The tank will get one more big move back to my dormroom. So I can do it then. Or... ofcourse... I can do it before getting the rest of those fishies... fingerscrossed

23 hours ago, yungKitten said:

@Lisa166 When you say "coral proof" do you mean preventing overgrowth?

I mean making it better for my corals, and to add future corals. as apparently the light is really low with the pillar.

So, new fishies! They are doing well. Full of color. However, one of them won't let the other come near? I think I will see how they are after the weekend but if it stays this way I will call the store and see if I can return the one wreaking havoc. 

Oops. This pic is not the right side up.. 

IMG_20170803_193015

The biggest fish who refuses to share his rock...

IMG_20170803_192923

IMG_20170804_201435

He wont let his tankmate come near... 

IMG_20170804_201330

So his tankmate is constantly hiding... 

IMG_20170804_201427

IMG_20170803_212331

Also, I fed the tank. I put in some very small (defrosted) artemia. They didn't directly take it, but I cought the small one leaping up from his stone and take pieces from the water.. 

Any tips on how to go about this fish not letting the other near? Other tips (besides breaking off the pillar) to increase conditions for my fish, and future corals? 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

I mean making it better for my corals, and to add future corals. as apparently the light is really low with the pillar.

So, new fishies! They are doing well. Full of color. However, one of them won't let the other come near? I think I will see how they are after the weekend but if it stays this way I will call the store and see if I can return the one wreaking havoc. 

Oops. This pic is not the right side up.. 

IMG_20170803_193015

The biggest fish who refuses to share his rock...

IMG_20170803_192923

IMG_20170804_201435

He wont let his tankmate come near... 

IMG_20170804_201330

So his tankmate is constantly hiding... 

IMG_20170804_201427

IMG_20170803_212331

Also, I fed the tank. I put in some very small (defrosted) artemia. They didn't directly take it, but I cought the small one leaping up from his stone and take pieces from the water.. 

Any tips on how to go about this fish not letting the other near? Other tips (besides breaking off the pillar) to increase conditions for my fish, and future corals? 

I love the new fishies!!!

The fish will probably just need to work out between each other. 

And yes, the Macro will survive if you break and move the pillar. 

You could invert the pillar so that the fat part is on the bottom and the skinny part is on top. This will give you a similar visual effect without the shadowing you currently have. (I don't wanna say I told ya so, but I told ya so :P) Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to a few centimeters clearance from all sides of the rock to the tank. This should help to prevent detritus build up. It may be an optical illusion, but in the pic below it looks like some of the rock work is right up against the back wall. 

33 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

IMG_20170804_201330

This fish are very cool! As long as they are not beating each other up to death I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks for the updates!

• 2 weeks later...

The fish are okay! They are getting along better and still looking pretty. Both of them are eating okay! 

Last measurement did show slightly increased po4 and no3, so yeay! 

Hopefully I will go back to the store this week, get some more corals and maybe a pompom.. or a cool blenny...Or a cool goby.. or... 

• Like 2