Innovative Marine Aquariums

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

He chopped up one piece of lr for us, it had three frags of xenia, some mushrooms on those frags as well, and I spotted multiple small feathers. We also got a big piece of lr full of polyps. Tips are super welcome because these are the first inhabitants!

Everything looks mad now, does anyone know how long it takes before it all opens up and gets happy??

I'm just very afraid they will just die:scarry:

IMG_20170510_221049IMG_20170510_221049

IMG_20170510_220704

IMG_20170510_220708

IMG_20170510_220807

• Like 5
yungKitten

The zoanthids (or palys) are dope! Best hitchhikers of all time. I wouldn't worry about them or the mushrooms. Just give them some time. Be careful about the xenia. It will take over your entire tank if you are not hyper vigilant. Update us in a couple of hours. Hope your exams went well. 

• Like 2

Those look great and healthy!!!

I wouldn't worry too much, they are low maintenance corals. 

It can take a few hours to overnight for everything to look open and happy. 

Mushrooms like low flow and low light. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, yungKitten said:

The zoanthids (or palys) are dope! Best hitchhikers of all time. I wouldn't worry about them or the mushrooms. Just give them some time. Be careful about the xenia. It will take over your entire tank if you are not hyper vigilant. Update us in a couple of hours. Hope your exams went well. 

Thanks, I really hope the xenia will grow out, and make a nice little forest. Would you recommend placing it on one of the separate rocks instead? 

8 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Those look great and healthy!!!

I wouldn't worry too much, they are low maintenance corals. 

It can take a few hours to overnight for everything to look open and happy. 

Mushrooms like low flow and low light. 

Thanks, it's been overnight and I will take a look soon. 

Do you think I should place the mushrooms in more shadowy spots? The big one has quite some light now.. 

8 hours ago, Astinus said:

Very Nice :)

4 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks, I really hope the xenia will grow out, and make a nice little forest. Would you recommend placing it on one of the separate rocks instead? 

Thanks, it's been overnight and I will take a look soon. 

Do you think I should place the mushrooms in more shadowy spots? The big one has quite some light now.. 

If the Mushrooms open up fine where they are, look all spread out and not "wrinkly", then they are happy and I'd say don't mess with them. 

If they look partially wrinkled or contracted, try moving them to lower light or lower flow. 

That guy gave you some good stuff though, those are GREAT first corals!!!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

If the Mushrooms open up fine where they are, look all spread out and not "wrinkly", then they are happy and I'd say don't mess with them. 

If they look partially wrinkled or contracted, try moving them to lower light or lower flow. 

That guy gave you some good stuff though, those are GREAT first corals!!!

One of them was already quite loose from the rock yesterday. It is quite wrinkled. But it let loose from its rock and I cant seem to place it anywhere where it doesnt float away and is unwrinkled? Pictures below. 

So, measured nh3, and it went up a bit, as did the no3 and no2 ( 0.25,  1.5, 0.1) Think the new lr got a small cycle going so we did an immediate WC of about 15%. Things started to look prettier after that.

One of the mushrooms flew away and we found it face down in the sand, I tried giving it a better place, but it does keep wrinkling, its also not sitting on anything atm. So I put it on top of a stone in a really low flow area. 

One part of the xenias also almost let loose and was looking really bad. When I was working on the tank it let loose so I set it in a different place as well. Hope it all survives. 

IMG_20170511_144609

Notice the sad xenia that hangs under the upper one, and the mushroom in right bottom of the picture. 

IMG_20170511_144548

Snail at work

IMG_20170511_144328

They opened up! 

IMG_20170511_144510

Close of sad xenia under the other one

2017-05-11_03-18-04

Here you can see the mushroom that has let loose of its stone and the sad xenia is placed in the right side of the picture. 

IMG_20170511_144439

This xenia looking okay? It isnt pulsing (yet?), and not completely out either. May have to do with stress right? Just wait it out? 

You have the right idea putting the loose mushroom in low flow.  If you still find it blowing around you can try putting a small glass bowl/cup in there with a few bits of rubble and lay the mushroom in there for a few days to give it time to attach.  The xenia may just be grumpy from moving tanks, but check your levels to make sure your parameters are ok and do a water change if needed. :)

Oh, and you can try isolating the xenia to one rock or even the glass so it doesn't take over so easily.

• Like 3
debbeach13

I think things are still settling in. If you want you can try putting some rubble and sand in a shot glass or some thing similar then add the mushroom it should attach. Place in a low flow area and you may need to cover it. I have used the mesh type stuff that comes on some strawberry's. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

You have the right idea putting the loose mushroom in low flow.  If you still find it blowing around you can try putting a small glass bowl/cup in there with a few bits of rubble and lay the mushroom in there for a few days to give it time to attach.  The xenia may just be grumpy from moving tanks, but check your levels to make sure your parameters are ok and do a water change if needed. :)

Oh, and you can try isolating the xenia to one rock or even the glass so it doesn't take over so easily.

Thanks, I want to leave it alone for now because the xenia is still grumpy. I want it to be surviving and doing better before making changes again to the xenia. If it does start to grow real fast I will do that :). 

Thanks for the tip on the shroom! I will try, if I just put in a glass and lay the shroom on a small rock it should go well? 

6 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I think things are still settling in. If you want you can try putting some rubble and sand in a shot glass or some thing similar then add the mushroom it should attach. Place in a low flow area and you may need to cover it. I have used the mesh type stuff that comes on some strawberry's. 

Thank you too! Just laying it on there in a no flow area should be okay enough to make it settle on the rock? 

• Like 1

If it's not getting blown around where it is, it may well attach in that spot.  If it gets blown around at all I'd use the bowl/shot glass trick.  You can just hold off and see for the moment I think, keeping a close eye on it.

• Like 1
debbeach13

It might be or some people use string or an elastic band to attach it to a rock. I tried the elastic once and ended up with 2 mushrooms. Might have been to tight and made the mushie split! They both survived just fine.

• Like 1

Hoping this will work! 

IMG_20170511_182308

IMG_20170511_182233

The shroom just doesn't want to lie upright, but it isnt being blown around anymore so I hope this is good enough. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lisa166 said:

Hoping this will work! 

IMG_20170511_182308

IMG_20170511_182233

The shroom just doesn't want to lie upright, but it isnt being blown around anymore so I hope this is good enough. 

Perfect!!

• Like 1

Everything has been looking really mad since yesterday evening. Did a water change just now, but fingers crossed for the xenias to start looking better again. The are all closed up really tight. 

We also changed out the plastic container for a glass, not sure if it can have anything to do with it. But water params were the same as before so that should not have caused the behavior. 

3 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Everything has been looking really mad since yesterday evening. Did a water change just now, but fingers crossed for the xenias to start looking better again. The are all closed up really tight. 

We also changed out the plastic container for a glass, not sure if it can have anything to do with it. But water params were the same as before so that should not have caused the behavior. 

Yeah, I wouldn't expect plastic vs. glass to make a big difference. 

Hope you see a positive change today. 

Did you check your ammonia/nitrite levels?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't expect plastic vs. glass to make a big difference. 

Hope you see a positive change today. 

Did you check your ammonia/nitrite levels?

I think we found the trouble maker. 

The temperature was way too high. It was about 29 degrees, where it should have been 24-26.

We unplugged the heater. 

And things started opening up soon after. 

Before wc this morning:

Nh3: 0.25

No2: 1.0

No3: 3.0 

Did a 15% change, will measure again 7 h after that change and do another one if ammonia is still above 0. We see a little die off on the new lr, so I think that is causing it. 

The bacteria dosing thing says 2 times a week, but I am wondering if I should increase that to 4 times a week... 

• Like 1
debbeach13

I would stay with the directions for now. If you have some prime I would use some of that. But W/C is the way to go and you have been very good about doing those. You may need to do a larger one to get ammonia down.

3 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I would stay with the directions for now. If you have some prime I would use some of that. But W/C is the way to go and you have been very good about doing those. You may need to do a larger one to get ammonia down.

I hear about prime more often, what is it?

The mushroom in the glass is lying face down again. Guess I should give up on him. The other mushrooms are growing super fast! Is that normal? I think they are almost twice their size already! 

I just had a broke down car in the middle of a busy road and had to wait for two hours before it was fixed, so I really wont be able to do another wWC tonight. Everything is looking pretty okay, so it should be good :)

yungKitten

Just an observation, but it looks like the xenia is not getting enough light because of it's position under that overhang. This could explain why it isn't quite happy yet. Though it may just look that way in the photo.

Lisa.jpg