Top Shelf Aquatics

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

2 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Not sure what's up with the little buggers I usually take a few out here and there.

I actually didn't realize they reproduced in aquariums!!

9 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

I may have the wrong name is it asteria? The tiny white ones.

Ooooh, you mean Asterina Stars??

Those do reproduce in aquariums. 

Wait, should I get rid of that? I have one on the new LR from the polyps. The guy said they where harmless detritus eaters.

Mom is gonna be bummed if I take it out. She loves the little fellow. 

4 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Wait, should I get rid of that? I have one on the new LR from the polyps. The guy said they where harmless detritus eaters.

Mom is gonna be bummed if I take it out. She loves the little fellow. 

Naw, I have had them in tanks and never had a problem, I agree that the vast majority of the time they are harmless detritus eaters. 

• Like 1

Thanks both! 

I will keep it then! Everything is looking well, two of the xenias are looking better and better. One is getting sadder and sadder. I wonder if I should move it to a higher light/lower flow space. His buddy seems to be doing wonderful on the rock I would move it too. The sad xenia has the lowest light of all.

But not sure the feather and mushroom would appreciate? Although I have mushrooms on the rock I would place him too and they are very happy as well. 

I might do it :), better to get them well now before they start to take over the rockwork and deciding then that it isnt the place I want them.  

4 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks both! 

I will keep it then! Everything is looking well, two of the xenias are looking better and better. One is getting sadder and sadder. I wonder if I should move it to a higher light/lower flow space. His buddy seems to be doing wonderful on the rock I would move it too. The sad xenia has the lowest light of all.

But not sure the feather and mushroom would appreciate? Although I have mushrooms on the rock I would place him too and they are very happy as well. 

I might do it :), better to get them well now before they start to take over the rockwork and deciding then that it isnt the place I want them.  

Lol, I suspect you'll be antsy til you move it, so just go for it. :lol:

Xenia and Mushrooms should be fine next to each other. 

3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Lol, I suspect you'll be antsy til you move it, so just go for it. :lol:

Xenia and Mushrooms should be fine next to each other. 

Uhmmmm.... I may or may not still be in denial phase. 

However, since I am sure the starfish can be kept, he will be named Patrick! 

Also, I cannot wait to get a fishy so I can call him squishy. And he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy. 

Extra points for who gets that reference! 

Real update: 

Nh3: 0

No2: <0.5

No3: +-3.0 

(Mg/l) 

Can someone help as to what no2 and no3 measurements need a water change? Is this okay, or should I aim for all at 0, all the time? Corals are looking good, so? 

Other question, do you think the xenias on the rock in the front are too close to eachother now? I think they look quite okay? Pictures taken about 5 minutes after moving the one xenia from the back to right next to the other one. 

IMG_20170514_193404

IMG_20170514_193517

Its so pretty: 

IMG_20170514_193545

Patrick and Gary :), note that the xenia in the back of this picture is now moved to the other rock. 

2017-05-13_04-54-47

And he is still pale, but still alive! 

He eats way less then right before the molt, but I understand that is normal. He does eat bits and pieces, just only a little. He is okay in activity though, moves throughout the tank and also uses the water again. 

IMG_20170514_194530

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Uhmmmm.... I may or may not still be in denial phase. 

However, since I am sure the starfish can be kept, he will be named Patrick! 

Also, I cannot wait to get a fishy so I can call him squishy. And he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy. 

Extra points for who gets that reference! 

Real update: 

No2: <0.5

No3: +-3.0 

(Mg/l) 

Can someone help as to what no2 and no3 measurements need a water change? Is this okay, or should I aim for all at 0, all the time? Corals are looking good, so? 

Other question, do you think the xenias on the rock in the front are too close to eachother now? I think they look quite okay? Pictures taken about 5 minutes after moving the one xenia from the back to right next to the other one. 

IMG_20170514_193404

IMG_20170514_193517

Its so pretty: 

IMG_20170514_193545

Patrick and Gary :), note that the xenia in the back of this picture is now moved to the other rock. 

2017-05-13_04-54-47

And he is still pale, but still alive! 

He eats way less then right before the molt, but I understand that is normal. He does eat bits and pieces, just only a little. He is okay in activity though, moves throughout the tank and also uses the water again. 

IMG_20170514_194530

Dory! :lol:  Glad Houdini is still kickin, hopefully the xenia likes the new spot better.  Those zoa/paly things are GREEN!  And Patrick and Gary are cute lol.  Is there a Sponge named Bob somewhere? :D

• Like 1

No2: 0

No3: 2.5

Seems to go well! 

Did a 10% WC as I need to start getting a regular cycle into that. Aiming for 10% a week to 10% every two weeks. 

Hairalgae and diatoms(?) Are blooming. A lot. 

Gary had thrown around some of the shrooms and xenias again, so I changed it a little. Hoping he can't knock them off their stones anymore now. 

Gary the troublemaker

IMG_20170517_193703

Mad xenias from being moved

IMG_20170519_121825IMG_20170519_121825

IMG_20170519_121817

Hair algae and a red small feather duster:

IMG_20170519_121852

Another shroom knocked of Its stone by Gary, and moved here instead to attach in low flow. The shrooms seem to eject some sort of white stuff from their mouth if being moved/touched, anyone know what it is? 

IMG_20170519_121616

Pretty feather is being pretty:

IMG_20170519_121836

Anyone here who knows what those white circles on this rock are? And the fluffy whitish tissue on the upper side of this rock? 

IMG_20170519_121748

The white stuff coming from your mushrooms--does it look sorta like white strings or something?  Probably mesenterial filaments.  The little white circles on the rock look like spirorbid (spelling? lol) worms, they are related to feather dusters.  Not sure on the fleshy white blob on the rocks.

Gary's a turbo snail, right?  They can be little bulldozers lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

The white stuff coming from your mushrooms--does it look sorta like white strings or something?  Probably mesenterial filaments.  The little white circles on the rock look like spirorbid (spelling? lol) worms, they are related to feather dusters.  Not sure on the fleshy white blob on the rocks.

Gary's a turbo snail, right?  They can be little bulldozers lol.

Here I thought I picked up coral-safe snails. Although he doesnt really hurt the corals themselves. He just throws them off the rocks. At least the ones not attached well yet. omgomgomg

The mushroomthingies, They do look like strings. 

Edit: found out what the thingues are and you seem to be correct! That is so cool. I knew of nematodes and some insects having this mechanism. It's so cool the mushies have it too! 

Less cool that they apparently want to eat me tho :blink:

Wait. Does this mean if I feed them to their mouth I can see that happening as well :0. 

9 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Here I thought I picked up coral-safe snails. Although he doesnt really hurt the corals themselves. He just throws them off the rocks. At least the ones not attached well yet. omgomgomg

The mushroomthingies, They do look like strings. 

Edit: found out what the thingues are and you seem to be correct! That is so cool. I knew of nematodes and some insects having this mechanism. It's so cool the mushies have it too! 

Less cool that they apparently want to eat me tho :blink:

Wait. Does this mean if I feed them to their mouth I can see that happening as well :0. 

Haha I've had mushrooms that were always spitting out their filaments.  Adds to their personality, I think.  And you can feed some mushrooms, though some will eat and some won't.  Once, long ago, I had a St. Thomas mushroom in a tank (my first 5.5).  One day a rather large amphipod got dislodged from the rockwork, caught in the current, flew across the tank and POP! it landed in the St. Thomas's mouth! :lol:  I'm not sure who was more surprised, the mushroom or the pod...though the mushroom folded up and enjoyed his snack!  If you look on my old tank thread, you can see pics (somewhere around late Feb-early March) of one of my D. carlgreni mushrooms eating.  And a pic of one spitting out its mesenterial filaments. :D

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Haha I've had mushrooms that were always spitting out their filaments.  Adds to their personality, I think.  And you can feed some mushrooms, though some will eat and some won't.  Once, long ago, I had a St. Thomas mushroom in a tank (my first 5.5).  One day a rather large amphipod got dislodged from the rockwork, caught in the current, flew across the tank and POP! it landed in the St. Thomas's mouth! :lol:  I'm not sure who was more surprised, the mushroom or the pod...though the mushroom folded up and enjoyed his snack!  If you look on my old tank thread, you can see pics (somewhere around late Feb-early March) of one of my D. carlgreni mushrooms eating.  And a pic of one spitting out its mesenterial filaments. :D

Is that the 1.6 gallon one or did you have another before that? 

I only have these sort of flakes that they said would go well for fish and corals and the snails as well. 

My xenias have unfolded again but have never really gotten to pulsing correctly. I will try to find some snails or other CUC members (any ideas??) to take care of my sand soon. 

22 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Is that the 1.6 gallon one or did you have another before that? 

I only have these sort of flakes that they said would go well for fish and corals and the snails as well. 

My xenias have unfolded again but have never really gotten to pulsing correctly. I will try to find some snails or other CUC members (any ideas??) to take care of my sand soon. 

It's the 1.6 (used to be 2.3, same thread) gallon.  Can you find frozen mysis shrimp?  My stuff really likes that and responds better than to the pellets I've tried.  A variety of snails is good, some people do hermit crabs but I pretty much refuse these days lol.  Little punk troublemakers!

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

It's the 1.6 (used to be 2.3, same thread) gallon.  Can you find frozen mysis shrimp?  My stuff really likes that and responds better than to the pellets I've tried.  A variety of snails is good, some people do hermit crabs but I pretty much refuse these days lol.  Little punk troublemakers!

Yeah, I heard that about hermits! 

If I go crabby, I would prefer to find a cool pompom. Although this tank might be to big for one of those. 

3 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Yeah, I heard that about hermits! 

If I go crabby, I would prefer to find a cool pompom. Although this tank might be to big for one of those. 

Only thing is they tend to be reclusive (unless you get a Shelby) and thus will hide a lot and be harder to find in a bigger tank--they'll be just fine hiding whereever in the rock work no matter the tank size! :lol:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Everything Lula says is right. 

White fluffy fleshy thing is a sponge. 

Things are looking good!!

Sponge is good right? 

Will check today if the shrooms and polyps would like a bit of the flakes. If not, I still have Houdini s food, but that is actually just human food. So probs not smart either. I'll go check for mysis sometime soon. 

Also, I thought they did not have to be fed, is that correct and is feeding just an extra for them? Or should I really feed them? 

That sponge is good. 

I've never gotten corals to eat flakes, but you can try. Usually small bits of meaty seafood works. I use Mysis myself. 

If you want them to grow and reproduce, feed them. 

If you don't, then don't. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

That sponge is good. 

I've never gotten corals to eat flakes, but you can try. Usually small bits of meaty seafood works. I use Mysis myself. 

If you want them to grow and reproduce, feed them. 

If you don't, then don't. 

So mini chopped up pieces of shrimp would be worth trying over the pallets I have? 

My shrooms, snails and all are lookimg good. The xenia is still a bit unhappy. Hope to visit a store soon and let them test the water as well. But all stores that sell saltwater are more than an hour away. 

Is it all xenia is unhappy, or just certain pieces of it?  What makes it look unhappy?  I have heard pulsing xenia sometimes won't pulse in high flow but not sure if that's what you're looking at.  Not that I'm a xenia expert since my only frag died after the move lol.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Is it all xenia is unhappy, or just certain pieces of it?  What makes it look unhappy?  I have heard pulsing xenia sometimes won't pulse in high flow but not sure if that's what you're looking at.  Not that I'm a xenia expert since my only frag died after the move lol.

It still does not pulse indeed. Sometimes a really slow pulse of one of the heads but that's about it. I will attach a picture, some heads keep being closed as well. 

2017-05-22_08-58-15