inTank Media Baskets

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

Hi all, there is not much to update on this tank. I got a few frags (Hello LA Lakers Buttons!), and am keeping up with my WCs about once a week or every other week.

But that's about it, tbh. Mainly, I have been focussing on my thesis project so I can finally finish my Bachelor's programme.

However, I met a lot of wonderful people through the reefing community. I meet some of these people irl regularly, and have made a good friend through our mutual hobbies. This friend decided to take his 160L (42 G) cube tank to a next level, and purchased a   200L (52G). As we have met eachother quite a few times now, and have helped eachother out more than once with tank problems, he has been so kind to donate his 42G to me. The clowns will finally have a bigger home y'all!

So even though there is not much going on in my tank, there is a lot going on overall. In about two weeks I will finish my thesis, and that is when I hope to set up the new system. I will transfer all of my current lifestock to the new tank. The lightning will be MUCH better, and I will upgrade to a dosing system with DSR EZ method. I hope to be able to get my system so self sustainable that I can go on holiday for two weeks during the summer. I have also been able to get to a new dorm that is facing north instead of south, so I have less problems with topping off because it does not get as ridiculously  hot when the sun is out. 

All in all, I hope to start a new journal soon so I can document my new tank from the very start :)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Wow that is fantastic! Good luck on your thesis. A 42 cube is a great upgrade. Let us know when you start the new thread so I can follow that also.

Thank you! And also thank you for wanting to follow. It might take a few more weeks. My final deadline for the thesis is May 14th, with the last apointments at May 16th. 

Well. That didn't go as planned... 

I came home from work yesterday to find my tank leaking all over the floor. More than half of the water had already found it's way to the floor. My stand is ruined, and so is the floor. 

We lost some lifestock as well, the red spotted dwarf goby, some corals, and a turbo. The IM nuvo was not even a year old and I took all necessary precautions to set it up well, so this really should not have happened. I expect I got one of the faulty ones from the initial production of IM nuvo's. 

2018-05-02_06-54-32

Luckily I had the new tank standing here, I managed to get the old lights working. Although both flowpumps have been lost, since they were all out of water. 

We had to race to the store to get water to get the system set up. 

We just dumped in a spare pump and the pump I'd use with the new tank, as well as some carbon and a new heater. We have no idea how much of the biological filtration is still working. 

The biggest piece of rock was outside the water, and my room smelled like dead sea. Ammonia was at 0.5, no idea if it is better now. I decided to use all new water though, I did not transfer any water. I don't know what else I can do to save my corals. They are still looking quite sad, not sure if I should leave it alone or keep measuring params and keep doing WCs. 

IMG_20180501_210537

This new tank was going to be a very pretty build, all in the way I liked it. Hanging lamp, filtration all set up, getting new rock in there to ripe before adding the old one. I was gonna paint the backpanel a pretty blue. Now it's just all dumped in there in the hope most of it survives. I have no idea (yet) how to set up the skimmer I got with it, and the external filter isn't clean. The lamp is not hanging yet, the back isn't painted. I hope I can still do most of those things, but I am not sure if I will ever manage to paint the backside :(. 

IMG_20180502_185059

IMG_20180502_185045

IMG_20180502_185017

https://flic.kr/p/26GyCyA

• Sad 1

I am so sorry :( I will never ever buy a curved tank again, I feel like I see way too many issues leaking or cracking from the curved ones. I hope everything pulls though and hope you don't get in trouble? (assuming you are in a dorm). As you said the floor was ruined and I supposed they could use that to ban any sort of tank. :(

• Thanks 1
debbeach13

So sad to read this:( Do you know were it leaked from? It stinks that you had to rush and just get every thing in the tank as fast as possible. But it was great that you already had the tank sitting there. Strange that you lost a fish. I hope what made it this far recovers for you. some corals look pretty good in the picture.

• Thanks 1
teenyreef

So sorry to hear about this! And such bad timing when you are trying to finish up your thesis :(

The corals look OK in the new tank, so I hope they pull through! It's probably too late now, but if you ever are worried about ammonia, Seachem Prime will remove it instantly in an emergency. It won't correct the conditions creating the ammonia, but it will help you get through a temporary spike.

• Thanks 1
On 5/3/2018 at 7:19 PM, teenyreef said:

So sorry to hear about this! And such bad timing when you are trying to finish up your thesis :(

The corals look OK in the new tank, so I hope they pull through! It's probably too late now, but if you ever are worried about ammonia, Seachem Prime will remove it instantly in an emergency. It won't correct the conditions creating the ammonia, but it will help you get through a temporary spike.

Ammonia was at 0 again when I measured yesterday :). I am using some carbon as well, i think that helps. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Oh noooo!!! I'm so sorry to read about this!  To paint your tank/fix it how you like--could you cure live rock in buckets to add in, or buy a small temporary tank to hold everything so you can get the big tank painted and set up how you want it?  Just throwing some ideas out for you.  Sorry you lost your little fishie, I hope everything else is doing ok.