Cultivated Reef

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

21 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yep, it's LeeLoo from 5th Element!!

I love that movie. 

Awesome!

20 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

In my eyes all dogs are puppy. I will try to use Wendy as in sure we would love more Wendy pictures

Puppy is okay too, was just saying. Loads of people seem to think she actually is a puppy ;-)

15 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I recognized the facial structure as I've wanted a chi for years.  Smart little pup!  And wow, an hour a day is a lot of exercise!  Please do continue to share pics, she's adorable!

Awesome! Yeah, it's a fault lots of people make (imho). They seem to think that small dogs don't need that much movement. But they are still dogs, and we should treat them as such (I think). Within their capabilities ofcourse! But Wendy gets really grumpy if you dont get her enough exercise (it can be physical or mental exercise. Mental exercise surely makes them tired!). Furthermore, dogs have a digestive system that is completed in 6 h. So only letting her out once a day, for example, would be super sad (is our opinion). 

• Like 3

Having had both small dogs and big dogs, I would say that small dogs seem to need more activity than larger dogs. Many bigger dogs seem quite content to laze around all day and get their exercise in small doses, but the small ones just seem to have a lot more energy to burn off. Of course they work better in small spaces since there's more room for them to run around, relatively speaking :)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Awesome!

Puppy is okay too, was just saying. Loads of people seem to think she actually is a puppy ;-)

Awesome! Yeah, it's a fault lots of people make (imho). They seem to think that small dogs don't need that much movement. But they are still dogs, and we should treat them as such (I think). Within their capabilities ofcourse! But Wendy gets really grumpy if you dont get her enough exercise (it can be physical or mental exercise. Mental exercise surely makes them tired!). Furthermore, dogs have a digestive system that is completed in 6 h. So only letting her out once a day, for example, would be super sad (is our opinion). 

In the US, some people basically litter train tiny dogs--train them to go on a pad or something in the same spot when they need to go, so they don't have to worry about letting them out.  Makes it good for apartment dwellers.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

In the US, some people basically litter train tiny dogs--train them to go on a pad or something in the same spot when they need to go, so they don't have to worry about letting them out.  Makes it good for apartment dwellers.

Yeah. I have heard that it happens in the US. But well, I don't agree with that way of training and keeping a dog. Seeing my dog, she would be super frustrated if she could not let her energy out in a healthy way. Ofcourse any dog is different, and some might be content just lazying around all day. But I think that that is more of an exception than the standard. They are still animals after all. 

Anyway, I will try to do a big update on the tank tomorrow, thats when I will also test my params. I shot some nice pictures today and met up with two people who also have reeftanks. And... I got two lovely frags! All in all, I am a happy nerd. 

• Like 4

So, here comes the promised picture update. And as always... more questions :blush:

First of all, the tank is looking great! 

As I said yesterday I already, I got two new frags. The hammer is doing awesome, I dont know how to see if the other one is doing well. But I think so? 

Coming home late, but look!:bowdown:

IMG_20170906_211723

This morning:

IMG_20170907_182013

My button was hungry yesterday... needless to say, the sponge didn't quite agree. The sponge managed to free himself :)

IMG_20170906_215159

And now, on to a question! 

How do I see if my fish is getting enough food and being happy?

His colors look really good, and he eats well. But I am not sure how much I am supposed to feed him. He usually takes about two or three flakes/artemia bits or w/e I feed him. 

Definitely vibrant colors:

IMG_20170906_213858

He also is roaming around more, which is what got me a little worried. He will just hover in the air for a few minutes, in the front of the tank or something.  If I get close he always goes back to the rock, but not like he is fleeing from me. Just easily goes back. Is this something bad? Or is it good? Or is it that he has made all of the tank his home now? 

IMG_20170907_182218IMG_20170907_182020

Just hoverin'!

I also tested my params again, not sure what to make of them. But the tank looks great so I think it must be okay? 

-no3: <0.25

-po4:<0.03

-KH: 7, this is a bit low right?

-Mg: 1365, but this is a bit high?

-Ca: 425

Thanks for reading :)

• Like 2

Everything looks great to me! And as long as the fish is eating readily, he'll eat as much as he needs, which is usually a lot less than we think :)

It sounds like he's feeling very secure and happy in the tank, as he's coming out of his hiding places freely, and as long as he knows he can zip right back any time he likes, he'll probably stay out in the open a lot.

On the parameters, Kh of 7 is a little bit low, but only because if it drops another half point it will definitely be too low, and softies sometimes react poorly to alk below 7.

You nitrates could be a tiny bit low, as an indication that there aren't enough nutrients in the water. Or it could just be an indication that your tank is well balanced and is really good at cleaning up after itself. But in looking at the tank, you have a lot of macro algae as well as some hair algae, so I'd say nitrates are low because the algae is consuming most of the nutrients before they can be measured. So just keep up with basic tank husbandry, keeping the sand bed stirred up one portion at a time and doing regular water changes, and see if the algae growth slows down as the tank matures.

Mg and Ca are fine, they're on the higher side of the typically accepted range, but still comfortably within range.

I would not chase numbers unless your corals tell you there's something that needs fixing, if it was my tank. I'd Just do regular water changes and things should stay pretty much where you want them.

• Like 4
On 8-9-2017 at 5:28 AM, teenyreef said:

Everything looks great to me! And as long as the fish is eating readily, he'll eat as much as he needs, which is usually a lot less than we think :)

It sounds like he's feeling very secure and happy in the tank, as he's coming out of his hiding places freely, and as long as he knows he can zip right back any time he likes, he'll probably stay out in the open a lot.

On the parameters, Kh of 7 is a little bit low, but only because if it drops another half point it will definitely be too low, and softies sometimes react poorly to alk below 7.

You nitrates could be a tiny bit low, as an indication that there aren't enough nutrients in the water. Or it could just be an indication that your tank is well balanced and is really good at cleaning up after itself. But in looking at the tank, you have a lot of macro algae as well as some hair algae, so I'd say nitrates are low because the algae is consuming most of the nutrients before they can be measured. So just keep up with basic tank husbandry, keeping the sand bed stirred up one portion at a time and doing regular water changes, and see if the algae growth slows down as the tank matures.

Mg and Ca are fine, they're on the higher side of the typically accepted range, but still comfortably within range.

I would not chase numbers unless your corals tell you there's something that needs fixing, if it was my tank. I'd Just do regular water changes and things should stay pretty much where you want them.

Thanks! 

Honestly, the corals are doing great. 

I did a small wc yesterday just to be sure the nitrates and phosphates wouldn't get too high. But everything looks well. Fishy keeps being out and about, he also comes way closer when I feed him! 

All in all, almost no news in tankland. Uni has just started again, And yesterday I took my first scuba dive again in over 5 years. I'm a proud nerd right now :)

Before I set up my NUVO I need to change my dorm room so I can place it in a shadow place. (Right now, I always have the curtain closed because my room has sun the entire day and it will shine directly into the tank the whe time). But, I hope the doggy pictures will make up for the lack of tank pics. 

Fireplace relaxation

IMG_20170908_192058

Hugely tired after a suprise drive to a diving store (we found out my shoes didn't fit anymore)

IMG_20170910_104018

Play time!!! (This is her favorite toy, and plushie. We got it before we went to pick her up from the breeder. She sleeps with it even. Its so cute.)

2017-09-14_08-11-48

On 8-9-2017 at 5:28 AM, teenyreef said:

Oh, and I am trying to keep the macros alive :) I love them, I even want more once my new tank is set up. 

The hair algae is only on the small rock of my most recent purchase. It isn't spreading. 

• Like 3
On 9/6/2017 at 10:03 AM, Lula_Mae said:

This has always grossed me out. I realize we do this with cats but I think of that as necessity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/14/2017 at 2:56 PM, Tamberav said:

This has always grossed me out. I realize we do this with cats but I think of that as necessity. 

I think of it as just being what's done for an indoor pet, but that may be because the only cat I've ever lived with was an indoor-outdoor cat and I don't think he even had a litterbox lol.  But then again, I regularly wash smooshie hedgehog poop off an exercise wheel so... :lol:

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I think of it as just being what's done for an indoor pet, but that may be because the only cat I've ever lived with was an indoor-outdoor cat and I don't think he even had a litterbox lol.  But then again, I regularly wash smooshie hedgehog poop off an exercise wheel so... :lol:

Haha, and we clean up fishy poo. And if you walk your dog outside you also have to pick it up and throw it in a garbage can somewhere. So yeah... 

There's a little news on the tank front:

Next week imma change my room, this way I can create a place for the IM nuvo 16g! 

After that I will have to get a stand, and then... finally!

• Like 1

I really love how great your tank is looking. 

Love your fish. What is it again? And do you just have one in there now?

Your dog is adorable. 

On the topic of dogs in apartments or small places, etc, let me just add this perspective.

I have some dear friends (that I met on N-R!) who live in New York City, and I was lucky enough to spend a few days visiting them once. 

It only takes a day or two of walking NYC streets to realize that there are many dog owners there who truly love their dogs. 

They have to approach pet ownership a little differently because they live in a congested city, but they have done a marvelous job of adapting in very practical ways. 

There were many dog owners out walking their dogs everywhere, and Dog Walkers doing the same. The dogs in NYC do get out and get exercise, believe me, they're everywhere!! They were also clearly well-groomed, taken care of, and loved. 

Yes, some dog owners there use Pee Pads for their dogs to use the bathroom during the day, but they clean up after them. 

Dog owners in NYC are clear evidence that just because the parameters you are working with might be more challenging, it doesn't mean that you can't have pets and take care of them responsibly if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

It is good to have situations in life that require you to think "outside the box" to meet your goals, it keeps your mind and spirit limber. 

• Like 4
On 17-9-2017 at 2:54 PM, Weetabix7 said:

I really love how great your tank is looking. 

Love your fish. What is it again? And do you just have one in there now?

Your dog is adorable. 

On the topic of dogs in apartments or small places, etc, let me just add this perspective.

I have some dear friends (that I met on N-R!) who live in New York City, and I was lucky enough to spend a few days visiting them once. 

It only takes a day or two of walking NYC streets to realize that there are many dog owners there who truly love their dogs. 

They have to approach pet ownership a little differently because they live in a congested city, but they have done a marvelous job of adapting in very practical ways. 

There were many dog owners out walking their dogs everywhere, and Dog Walkers doing the same. The dogs in NYC do get out and get exercise, believe me, they're everywhere!! They were also clearly well-groomed, taken care of, and loved. 

Yes, some dog owners there use Pee Pads for their dogs to use the bathroom during the day, but they clean up after them. 

Dog owners in NYC are clear evidence that just because the parameters you are working with might be more challenging, it doesn't mean that you can't have pets and take care of them responsibly if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

It is good to have situations in life that require you to think "outside the box" to meet your goals, it keeps your mind and spirit limber. 

Thank you. That's great to hear. I definitely never meant that all dogowners will be bad, just that I see a lot of people not willing to put the care in. Or not catering to the dogs needs. 

People often assume small dogs don't need the same care as big ones. Which simply isn't true. 

Nice macros, its awesome how the hairalgae is going away by itself. 

IMG_20170918_193421

Pulsing xenia is still going crazy :)

IMG_20170918_193408

And @Weetabix7, it is a red spotted dwarf goby. I had two, but the other one just disappeared within a week. We checked everything, (outside the tank as well), but he was nowhere to be found. 

Water params didn't do anything strange either, except the nitrates went up a little. So i really have no idea. 

IMG_20170918_193612

• Like 5

Is something eating my nitrates? 

Nh3: 0

Po4: 0

No3: 0

Kh: 7.4

Mg: 1425

Ca: 415

Edit: I feed heavily, my fish usually takes about two to four pellets and there's always some extra. Most of my corals are still doing great, but my button has been having some closed polyps for the last few days. 

3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Your macro algae :D 

Wait, really? Are they that effective? 

Will adding extra bioload (HELLO NEW FISHYomgomgomg) be better for my tank with these corals :0? 

ARE MY CORALS AND MACROS TELLING ME TO GET ANOTHER FISHY? :haha:

• Haha 1
On 9/20/2017 at 12:35 PM, Lisa166 said:

Wait, really? Are they that effective? 

Will adding extra bioload (HELLO NEW FISHYomgomgomg) be better for my tank with these corals :0? 

ARE MY CORALS AND MACROS TELLING ME TO GET ANOTHER FISHY? :haha:

I dunno and I don't want to be an enabler or anything but I'd say YES NEW FISHY! :lol:

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I dunno and I don't want to be an enabler or anything but I'd say YES NEW FISHY! :lol:

Friday I will get my new stand (they didn't have it in stock :() and then... 

• Wow 1

Ok. So. Things just happened! 

Long story short: a tankfriend had a tankcrash due to an error at the store. He offered me his two clowns, the only things that survived!  as he knew I wanted to have one anyway. 

The clowns, however, are currently in a tank with a1.010 salinity. I have no idea what I should do to get them safely back to my tanks salinity. And honestly, I am kind of freaking out. I dont want them to die :/

Story and questions are here:

• Like 1

FI picked up the clowns from my friend. Both look happy and healthy! He already managed to raise salinity to 1.014, so I matched my QT water to that. 

I will be slowly adding a little bit of my tanks water to 1.016 tonight. Keeping them in quarantine overnight and adding a little more salinity tomorrow. We will see how it goes! 

:)

Edit:barely an hour later and already feeling bad for keeping them in a QT(bucket). I feel like just letting them go in the maintank, but going from 1.014 to 1.024 that fast is probably worse than being in a bucket for a day?

• Like 1

So, let's try to do a real update again!

First, my main tank: some of my corals (mainly the button) were looking a little sad. And I was shocked yesterday when I found out my KH was at 4. I raised the KH by doing a 15% WC, which I needed anyway to help the clowns. And I added some KH plus. 

This afternoon KH was at 6.8, and the buttons were fully opened for the first.time in a week! 

The goby is doing great, eating well. Out and about. The clowns do startle him though, but I hope they will all get used to each other. 

Now,the clown story:

A friend, whom I met through a tankforum, had a huge tankcrash due to the store selling him RODI water instead of salt (he explicitly asked for salt though). Everything died, except for the two clowns he picked up atthe store at the same time.he bought the water. Long story short, he asked me to take the clowns. Ofcourse I said yes! So I prepared a QT for them so I could bring them back to normal salinity in a safe time frame. 

When I got them in the QT, they didn't even seem stressed. They explored the tank and started nipping at everything. I decided to feed them a bit, and they attacked like crazy! Every last pellet was eaten within seconds. 

Even though they seemed ok, I didn't want to overdo it and took my time with acclimating them to 1.024. 

They seemed perfectly fine at first, when I reached 1.020 they seemed a little stressed, staying at the top of the tank. But that quickly stopped again. I put them into my main tank tonight. They ate well, but seem a little stressed. Constantly roaming the windows, up and down, up and down. 

I want to see how they do over the weekend, and if they are still well on monday I will start thinking about names :). 

Last but not least, my New stand will come in friday. I plan starting the tank next week. It will take a while before the fish will get to that tank though. I need to get some stuff done first:

- redo aqua scape to fit in this new tank and make room for the final goal. Not yet sure how to reach that goal. 

-make a diy ato

-get the tank wet and equipment up and running. 

-decide: bare bottom or not?

I finally know my tanks goal. I came across these two tanks here (not sure if I am allowed to link to names or anything?) And I am in love. I want something like that. So in love. I just have to figure out how to get there? No.idea.

Fts: 

2017-09-27_08-12-27

Fts left side:

2017-09-27_08-13-49

Stressed clowns? Honestly, I have no idea how clowns normally behave.I would normally do research before buying. But lets call it a crisis decision.

VID_20170927_195359

Seeing the video now I see they are quite relaxed here. Atm they really go up and down along the glass the whole time. 

• Like 1