inTank Media Baskets

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

4 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

Just an observation, but it looks like the xenia is not getting enough light because of it's position under that overhang. This could explain why it isn't quite happy yet. Though it may just look that way in the photo.

Lisa.jpg

It is in the shadow, I thought they needed to be in a lower light area? Or is in my case the full light low enough? If you think thats it I will move them to the other side, into the full light. 

If so, any tips on what would like to be in that low light area?

IMG_20170512_191823

IMG_20170512_191834IMG_20170512_191902

And compare those mushrooms to when I just got them, picture below:

IMG_20170510_220704

Thw big one on the right is lost I am afraid..

3 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Prime made by Seachem. Concentrated conditioner removes chlorine and chloramine detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Okay, I know the water I use is made correctly but it might be good to help with detoxification.

2 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

As far as I know Xenia likes strong lighting and strong to medium flow.

Thanks! I guess I will have to hold off the netflix and chill a little longer tonight. Might as well.measure and do a WC if necessary if I have to move the xenia anyway

• Like 1
yungKitten

The shrooms look better. If the xenia continues to improve, don't rock the boat. If it ain't broke don't fix it etc. etc. 

Just now, Lisa166 said:

I guess I will have to hold off the netflix and chill a little longer tonight. 

This made me giggle a bit.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

The shrooms look better. If the xenia continues to improve, don't rock the boat. If it ain't broke don't fix it etc. etc. 

This made me giggle a bit.

So you would suggest to leave it like this for now? Or only move one of the three and see what the difference is? Or...?

Yeay laughing! 

Oops, you send another message just as I was sending mine. 

9 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

I would hit up @Narzyzz_12 about Xenia. He (or she) seems like an expert.

I just want to do everything right, which might lead me to make wrong things right again asap. 

yungKitten
5 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

So you would suggest to leave it like this for now? Or only move one of the three and see what the difference is? Or...?

Yeay laughing! 

I think moving one and seeing how it does is a good idea. Hadn't considered that.

• Like 1
Just now, yungKitten said:

I think moving one and seeing how it does is a good idea. Hadn't considered that.

Might give feeding a try tomorrow if it works out! I have one frag that is easy to move and has no mushrooms on it, so that should make it easier.

yungKitten
2 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Might give feeding a try tomorrow if it works out! I have one frag that is easy to move and has no mushrooms on it, so that should make it easier.

FYI Xenia does not require feeding, nor do they have any mechanism for feeding. It's possible to feed the Zoas and Shrooms but totally not necessary. I wouldn't worry about it.

debbeach13

Live aquaria has Xenia as liking moderate light and flow with placement as bottom to middle. If it will make you feel better just move one. Did you already remove the mushroom from the container? I know it is hard but you might consider letting things settle. Some time I find my self micro managing the tank. When I come to that point I put a dam sticky on the tank. "Keep your dam hands out of the tank"
 Go ahead and watch netflick. Take the night off from tank duty.

No feeding needed.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

FYI Xenia does not require feeding, nor do they have any mechanism for feeding. It's possible to feed the Zoas and Shrooms but totally not necessary. I wouldn't worry about it.

I thought so too, but the guy at the store said itd be good to feed anyway. The food will also feed the shrooms and polyps, and the snails. So no harm there. 

27 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Live aquaria has Xenia as liking moderate light and flow with placement as bottom to middle. If it will make you feel better just move one. Did you already remove the mushroom from the container? I know it is hard but you might consider letting things settle. Some time I find my self micro managing the tank. When I come to that point I put a dam sticky on the tank. "Keep your dam hands out of the tank"

No feeding needed.

You are so right. I moved the thing just now and it feels off. I think I will remove the glass jar as well. Try one last time to move the shroom to a stone and then I will keep my hands off. I will do the sticky note thing. My mom even suggested it yesterday too. 

So, to do for now: 

Get the ugly glass jar out and find the lowest flow space. 

Params are quite okay

Nh3 0

No2 0.5

No3 1.5 

Now... leaving the xenia where it is now or moving it back to where it was... 

2017-05-12_08-22-16

Never mind putting back the xenia. I see them starting to pulse just now! Removing this one has given each of them a little more flow. I mean, its still lioking mad. But a few heads are pulsing really slowly..

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

No feeding needed.

This. ^^^

Those Mushrooms are now looking the way they should look, that's how they are when they open up all the way. 

They look good to me. 

3 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Sorry for the confusion. I was only asking about the mushroom. If it is in the glass leave it. If you already took it out leave it.

Well, I got it to lay with the right side up again. So happy about that.

Not sure if the moved xenia is happy with me. But I hopw this will help it recover:

IMG_20170512_205324

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Well, I got it to lay with the right side up again. So happy about that.

Not sure if the moved xenia is happy with me. But I hopw this will help it recover:

IMG_20170512_205324

LOVE this!!!!!

• Like 1
IMG-20170513-WA0029

I may have a problem...

But to be fair, the snail (he really needs a name!) Pushed the shrooms rock to the ground, so they were laying in the sand face down. I HAD NO CHOICE, OKAY? 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Lisa166 said:

IMG-20170513-WA0029

I may have a problem...

But to be fair, the snail (he really needs a name!) Pushed the shrooms rock to the ground, so they were laying in the sand face down. I HAD NO CHOICE, OKAY? 

Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem. 

Your snail should be named Gary. 

pappadumplingz

Tank's lookin good! Would recommend you isolate the Xenia because it will over run the tank if the Params are right.

And I'm using the same power head as you, so here is a tip. Because the low on the ehiem is very directional, immature try get an IM so in stream, to help vary the flow. Might help if you think that the flow isn't sufficient in some areas.

debbeach13

I know it is hard. Stuff happens and you have no choice. My hands were in the tank today was 4 gallon W/C and I took out 26 astrea snails. A couple weeks ago I took out a couple dozen also. There is a population explosion going on.

4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem. 

Your snail should be named Gary. 

Omg, Gary, its perfect! 

4 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Tank's lookin good! Would recommend you isolate the Xenia because it will over run the tank if the Params are right.

And I'm using the same power head as you, so here is a tip. Because the low on the ehiem is very directional, immature try get an IM so in stream, to help vary the flow. Might help if you think that the flow isn't sufficient in some areas.

The eheim powerhead has been off since we added the inhabitants. The flow comes from the stockpump, a 4 in one nanofilter from dennerle. 

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

I know it is hard. Stuff happens and you have no choice. My hands were in the tank today was 4 gallon W/C and I took out 26 astrea snails. A couple weeks ago I took out a couple dozen also. There is a population explosion going on.

Good luck with that

• Like 1