Coral Vue Hydros

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

I need help guys! 

I am looking at aquadepot tanks. I am thinking about going smaller!'

But look, which should i choose: 

http://www.aquadepot-europe.com/innovative-marine/nuvo-aquariums/nuvo-aquarium-nano-16/a-143/#technicaldata

-16g, but i love Love LOVE the design!

Gone with the cube

http://www.aquadepot-europe.com/brands/innovative-marine/nuvo-aquariums/fusion-nano-10g-premium-starter-kits/a-214/

Nuvo fusion with 10g, smaller. But still a cube. A red spotted dwarf gby can live here too right:)?

Or...

This 8g beauty, but still a cube. 

http://www.aquadepot-europe.com/brands/innovative-marine/nuvo-aquariums/nuvo-aquarium-nano-8-white-14k/a-142/

Come on, tell me what you would choose!? 

1 minute ago, Lisa166 said:

I need help guys! 

I am looking at aquadepot tanks. I am thinking about going smaller!'

But look, which should i choose: 

http://www.aquadepot-europe.com/innovative-marine/nuvo-aquariums/nuvo-aquarium-nano-16/a-143/#technicaldata

-16g, but i love Love LOVE the design!

Gone with the cube

http://www.aquadepot-europe.com/brands/innovative-marine/nuvo-aquariums/fusion-nano-10g-premium-starter-kits/a-214/

Nuvo fusion with 10g, smaller. But still a cube. A red spotted dwarf gby can live here too right:)?

Or...

This 8g beauty, but still a cube. 

http://www.aquadepot-europe.com/brands/innovative-marine/nuvo-aquariums/nuvo-aquarium-nano-8-white-14k/a-142/

Come on, tell me what you would choose!? 

Wait a minute, first can you explain why you are thinking of changing tanks? 

What are you seeking to change?

6 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wait a minute, first can you explain why you are thinking of changing tanks? 

What are you seeking to change?

I love my tank, but i dont really like the cube form of it. I purchased this because it was cheap (second hand), and i heard these tanks had good filters and lights for a plug and play system. I am slowly looking to make something which costs a little more, but is actually what i love in form and dimension. 

I love the idea of pico reefs, but have not found a tank that is small and is not a cube (which is in, or can be shipped to the Netherlands). Aquadepot had these beauties for really cheap and they all provide a bit more of what i want. 

-led lightning

-the filtration compartment

-and either smaller (10 or 8g) or a long set up instead of a cube (16g). 

I want to keep at least most of my rock and all my lifestock. I just want to make it prettier for me, and also cheaper (firstly because of the leds and if i go for a smaller tank also because of the size of WC)

3 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

I love my tank, but i dont really like the cube form of it. I purchased this because it was cheap (second hand), and i heard these tanks had good filters and lights for a plug and play system. I am slowly looking to make something which costs a little more, but is actually what i love in form and dimension. 

I love the idea of pico reefs, but have not found a tank that is small and is not a cube (which is in, or can be shipped to the Netherlands). Aquadepot had these beauties for really cheap and they all provide a bit more of what i want. 

-led lightning

-the filtration compartment

-and either smaller (10 or 8g) or a long set up instead of a cube (16g). 

I want to keep at least most of my rock and all my lifestock. I just want to make it prettier for me, and also cheaper (firstly because of the leds and if i go for a smaller tank also because of the size of WC)

Ok, I would say go with the first one then, the 16g. 

Unless you have a really strong reason for wanting something smaller. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

Why are they so steeply discounted? Are these the same as the Innovative Marine tanks here in the U.S. ?

At least some of them I think are discontinued models, which might account for that.

• Like 2

These models are indeed discontinued. It is the IM nuvo 16g, I ordered it yesterday after reading some good reviews. Then started reading about all the tanks leaking and cracking.... here's to good luck. 

My tank is doing a little better, the KH is starting to rise again. But i ordered some liquid reed to help with raising it without doing countless small WCs. 

One of my fish has suddenly disappeared last week, but NH3 and NO3 are still st 0. He also hasn't jumped out, i checked EVERYTHING. 

Right now, I am maintaining the tank by a 20-25% WC a week and then some small wc in the middle of the week. I add food for the fish every day, the buttons seem to love this too!

I am planning on adding some of the liquid reef to see if that helps raise the KH, Mg and Ca a little more. 

Now, new tank talk!! 

I ordered a IM Nuvo 16g. I loved the design so much. I also ordered an extra light to give it some more then just the stock lightning. After reading a lot about these tanks, i first want to try it with the stock return pump and stock lightning plus one extra 8W LED. I plan on making a small refugium in the back chamber with cheato, i already bought a light that will help with growing the cheato. 

I want to upgrade to the IM intank mediabaskets when i have the money. 

I have read that a lot of people use chemipure, filterfloss and purigen. Any ideas on this? I still have to figure out what purigen is, but the other two things sound good. 

Final stocking plans would be a lot of nice looking (but not hard to keep) corals, my red spotted dwarf goby, hopefully a pompom crab and a small clown. Any ideas/ tips on this? 

I'm so scared for cracking and leaking. But so exited because i love the desing of this tank so much!

As always, tips are more than welcome!!!

On 23-8-2017 at 7:08 PM, yungKitten said:

Never dose what you cannot test.

Thank you for the help. I believe i can test all these things i will be dosing, but i will check to make sure before doing anything. The things should be in on Monday, just as i am leaving the house for a few days... 

Here is some pictures, gave Houdini his tank a big makeover.

IMG_20170826_150627IMG_20170825_121931

And did a 20% WC on the big tank, NH3 0

No3 0

Po4 0

KH 7 

Feather duster is being beautiful

IMG_20170826_160618

Left side FTS:

IMG_20170825_115047

And the goby is still doing great as well, eats daily. 

IMG_20170826_160600

• Like 3
On 8/26/2017 at 1:44 PM, Lisa166 said:

Thank you for the help. I believe i can test all these things i will be dosing, but i will check to make sure before doing anything. The things should be in on Monday, just as i am leaving the house for a few days... 

Here is some pictures, gave Houdini his tank a big makeover.

IMG_20170826_150627IMG_20170825_121931

And did a 20% WC on the big tank, NH3 0

No3 0

Po4 0

KH 7 

Feather duster is being beautiful

IMG_20170826_160618

Left side FTS:

IMG_20170825_115047

And the goby is still doing great as well, eats daily. 

IMG_20170826_160600

I am loving how nice this tank is looking for you now, the corals look lush, healthy and happy and the fish is super cute!!! 

I have to agree with yungkitten, you really shouldn't dose anything to change the KH unless you can test for it. 

Alkalinity is something that can really cause problems if it gets really low or high, especially if it happens rapidly, which can result from dosing without testing. 

There are plenty of people in the U.S. who have IM tanks with no problems at all, several of them are here on NR. 

You don't need to use both chemipure and purigen from what I know, I'm fairly certain it's either one or the other. 

On 27-8-2017 at 9:37 PM, Weetabix7 said:

I am loving how nice this tank is looking for you now, the corals look lush, healthy and happy and the fish is super cute!!! 

I have to agree with yungkitten, you really shouldn't dose anything to change the KH unless you can test for it. 

Alkalinity is something that can really cause problems if it gets really low or high, especially if it happens rapidly, which can result from dosing without testing. 

There are plenty of people in the U.S. who have IM tanks with no problems at all, several of them are here on NR. 

You don't need to use both chemipure and purigen from what I know, I'm fairly certain it's either one or the other. 

Thanks! I can test the KH myself and don't plan on using much of the stuff. But the KH is still low, as are Ca and Mg... and doing waterchanges a few times a week will cost me more money then i have rn. I will test all of these things again next week and then decide what to do. 

But but but, 

My new tank is in! It is so pretty! It's doing a leak test as we speak and all is going well so far. I have checked how big the glass was of the other tank i have, and its smaller than the IM glass. So i am fairly confident it will work out. 

I plan on using my dennerle marinus cube for a little while longer. So i can set up the new IM calmly. I will need to get a new stand, and have to test the lights and flowpump etc. Probably there'll be more to order before even getting the rock and fish in. 

In the end i want to re-use the rock i have now, as well as all my current corals, the fish, etc. I will maybe buy a little bit of dry pukani, to build a better scape. But time will see :)

IMG_20170901_155816

IMG_20170901_155849

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks! I can test the KH myself and don't plan on using much of the stuff. But the KH is still low, as are Ca and Mg... and doing waterchanges a few times a week will cost me more money then i have rn. I will test all of these things again next week and then decide what to do. 

But but but, 

My new tank is in! It is so pretty! It's doing a leak test as we speak and all is going well so far. I have checked how big the glass was of the other tank i have, and its smaller than the IM glass. So i am fairly confident it will work out. 

I plan on using my dennerle marinus cube for a little while longer. So i can set up the new IM calmly. I will need to get a new stand, and have to test the lights and flowpump etc. Probably there'll be more to order before even getting the rock and fish in. 

In the end i want to re-use the rock i have now, as well as all my current corals, the fish, etc. I will maybe buy a little bit of dry pukani, to build a better scape. But time will see :)

IMG_20170901_155816

IMG_20170901_155849

The new tank looks great!!!

Be forewarned, dry Pukani can sometimes leach phosphate for months after tank setup. 

19 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

The new tank looks great!!!

Be forewarned, dry Pukani can sometimes leach phosphate for months after tank setup. 

Yes, if you use Pukani I would treat it with vinegar or muriatic acid before adding to the tank.

On 1-9-2017 at 9:54 PM, Tamberav said:

I went through every page of this thread because your tank is beautiful and Houdini is so cute and the luckiest crab ever!

Awh, that's so sweet! Thank you so much! 

@Weetabix7 and @Lula_Mae, thank you for the heads up. Selling sites don't tell you that. I fell for the porousness (?) Of the rock and the fact that it should be easy to scape. So I can prevent a next shadow colomn. 

Newsss:

I am back in my dormroom, and the tank is doing great! My xenias are pulsing like crazy, fishy is doing good as well. Ate well, and looks healthy. All corals are open and looking good. 

Fts:

IMG_20170904_185612

You can't see it on a picture, but this xenia is pulsing like crazy!!

IMG_20170904_185622

Happy fishy

IMG_20170904_185632

So, basically. All is well:) this coming semester will be crazy busy with two subjects. But these subjects seem.super cool and interesting. So it'll be okay:) after this semester I will try redoing my room a little and make room for the new tank :)

Also, since I wont be uploading loads the coming time. Have a cute picture of our cute dog (she lives with my parents. Her name is Wendy!) To make up for it :)

Happy doggy:

2017-09-02_09-01-38

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

@Weetabix7 and @Lula_Mae, thank you for the heads up. Selling sites don't tell you that. I fell for the porousness (?) Of the rock and the fact that it should be easy to scape. So I can prevent a next shadow colomn. 

Newsss:

I am back in my dormroom, and the tank is doing great! My xenias are pulsing like crazy, fishy is doing good as well. Ate well, and looks healthy. All corals are open and looking good. 

Fts:

IMG_20170904_185612

IMG_20170904_185622

Happy fishy

IMG_20170904_185632

So, basically. All is well:) this coming semester will be crazy busy with two subjects. But these subjects seem.super cool and interesting. So it'll be okay:) after this semester I will try redoing my room a little and make room for the new tank :)

Also, since I wont be uploading loads the coming time. Have a cute picture of our cute dog (she lives with my parents. Her name is Wendy!) To make up for it :)

Happy doggy:

2017-09-02_09-01-38

Wendy is adorable!  Is she a long haired Chihuahua?

Newsss:

Fts:

IMG_20170904_185612

IMG_20170904_185622

Happy fishy

IMG_20170904_185632

Happy doggy:

2017-09-02_09-01-38

Wendy looks super sweet!!

Really glad you're settled in and your corals are all happy, especially the Xenia which I know has worried you in the past!!

1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Wendy is adorable!  Is she a long haired Chihuahua?

She is!!! Most people don't see it, as she is quite big for a chihuahua. I used to go to training with her every week, first puppy training, then agility and balance and stuff. and we still do loads of training at home now. You can hide a sock or something, and wherever it is, she will find it! 

She is not a chihuahua you can keep in an apartment all day, my mother walks her over an hour a day. So unfortunately I couldnt take her when I started studying. 

12 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Glad to hear that you are all moved in and the tank inhabitants are doing well. What a cute puppy!

She is not a puppy, she is already 4! She is very cute though :)

If you guys dont mind I can def share more wendy pics. :)

41 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wendy looks super sweet!!

Really glad you're settled in and your corals are all happy, especially the Xenia which I know has worried you in the past!!

Thanks. Yeah, this thing is still doing great! 

Did you know, cleaning your windows on the outside helps you see more of your tank? :lol:

Also, @Weetabix7, is your profile picture from 'the fifth element'? 

I saw it last week and it made me think of your profile picture. :bowdown:

Yep, it's LeeLoo from 5th Element!!

I love that movie. 

7 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

She is!!! Most people don't see it, as she is quite big for a chihuahua. I used to go to training with her every week, first puppy training, then agility and balance and stuff. and we still do loads of training at home now. You can hide a sock or something, and wherever it is, she will find it! 

She is not a chihuahua you can keep in an apartment all day, my mother walks her over an hour a day. So unfortunately I couldnt take her when I started studying. 

She is not a puppy, she is already 4! She is very cute though :)

If you guys dont mind I can def share more wendy pics. :)

Thanks. Yeah, this thing is still doing great! 

Did you know, cleaning your windows on the outside helps you see more of your tank? :lol:

I recognized the facial structure as I've wanted a chi for years.  Smart little pup!  And wow, an hour a day is a lot of exercise!  Please do continue to share pics, she's adorable!