Coral Vue Hydros

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

7 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

WHOOOH! 

I am thinking like crazy about what other things I want to put in the tank. Maybe I should hold off on the nassarius snails for a little longer, since I have these little scary critters now. 

I defenitely would like more movement though, but I have for more weeks of school ahead starting june 12th. And my tank is already at my parents house, I dont want to make them feed it every day :lol:. Maaybe I can get a GSP and get away with feeding it twice a week. And then get a goby once I am home to maintain it better. 

Get the GSP, it's ridiculously easy to maintain. 

Getting a Goby once you are home also sounds good. 

• Like 1
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

Get the GSP, it's ridiculously easy to maintain. 

Getting a Goby once you are home also sounds good. 

Thanks! My parents don't mind watching the tank at all. They are very interested too, I just want to keep it as low maintenance as possible for now. I might go to a store again sometime soon and ask around a bit about the fish. Would prefer ones that are already okay with pellet food. As it would be best to be able to put a feeding machine above it in case I need to leave sometime and my parents will watch the tank. 

(Next schoolyear it'll move back in with me though :))

8 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks! My parents don't mind watching the tank at all. They are very interested too, I just want to keep it as low maintenance as possible for now. I might go to a store again sometime soon and ask around a bit about the fish. Would prefer ones that are already okay with pellet food. As it would be best to be able to put a feeding machine above it in case I need to leave sometime and my parents will watch the tank. 

(Next schoolyear it'll move back in with me though :))

That's cool that your parents are enjoying it!!

GSP is no extra trouble. 

The worst you'll see out of it is that sometimes it takes a couple of days to open when it's first getting used to your system, but that's it, doesn't need anything special. 

I'm not sure how Goby's are on eating pellets, I think it varies with the type of Goby. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

That's cool that your parents are enjoying it!!

GSP is no extra trouble. 

The worst you'll see out of it is that sometimes it takes a couple of days to open when it's first getting used to your system, but that's it, doesn't need anything special. 

I'm not sure how Goby's are on eating pellets, I think it varies with the type of Goby. 

I will xcheck at the store when I am there. Hoping they might be able to help me with some more stocking plans as well. 

It's barely a few months since I had this tank but the tankbug has really gotten to me again. (Yes I want another one!, wont be able yo pay it now. But maaybe, in the future? I like the 15g size or lower. But would love to have a longer one instead of a cube). Oh my. I am going crazyomgomgomg

Fts june 1st

IMG_20170601_184525

See that mushroom in the bottom right corner? Remember I thought he would not survive? See old pictures below. The transformation is amazing!

IMG_20170601_184542

Old picture of shroom:

IMG_20170511_182308

Shrooms now vs old picture of those

IMG_20170601_1845492017-05-11_03-18-04

@Lula_Mae, here is a pic of the xenias

IMG_20170601_184531

This shroom went swimming somewhere at the beginning and has now attached itself at this spot! 

Also, loads of new macro live popping up! 

IMG_20170601_184549

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

I will xcheck at the store when I am there. Hoping they might be able to help me with some more stocking plans as well. 

It's barely a few months since I had this tank but the tankbug has really gotten to me again. (Yes I want another one!, wont be able yo pay it now. But maaybe, in the future? I like the 15g size or lower. But would love to have a longer one instead of a cube). Oh my. I am going crazyomgomgomg

Fts june 1st

IMG_20170601_184525

See that mushroom in the bottom right corner? Remember I thought he would not survive? See old pictures below. The transformation is amazing!

IMG_20170601_184542

Old picture of shroom:

IMG_20170511_182308

Shrooms now vs old picture of those

IMG_20170601_1845492017-05-11_03-18-04

@Lula_Mae, here is a pic of the xenias

IMG_20170601_184531

This shroom went swimming somewhere at the beginning and has now attached itself at this spot! 

Also, loads of new macro live popping up! 

IMG_20170601_184549

So much omgomgomg in here!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

So much omgomgomg in here!!!!!!!!!!

:D

10 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks great!  Hopefully even the cranky xenia will perk up and get as happy as the shrooms!

We hope so tooooomgomgomg

Last sunday I did all tests I had on hand:

Nh3: 0

No2: 0

No3: 1.5

Po4: <0.03

Kh: 9

Mg/l

10% WC and feeding both the tank and houdini. 

FTS right after cleaning:

IMG_20170605_173454

Left upper corner, macros:

IMG_20170605_173534

Left lower corner, shroom in the back is reacting to the food pellets.

IMG_20170605_173520

Right bottom corner, shroom and polyps are eating :)

IMG_20170605_173500

And tomorrow, I will be going to the store! 

Gonna search some GSP, maybe another little frag. And see what kind of fish they have. Aiming to find out which kind of goby I want, and possibly a nice shrimp/crab to add to the cleanup crew. Those won't be going in untill after the next exams tho. 

• Like 3

New stuff!!!!

I let the store test my water. They were mostly wondering if my tank wasnt too clean for xenias and shrooms to actually thrive. 

They also gave me some nice tips :)

I dont know the english name of this, leather coral?

IMG_20170607_194839

GSP:

IMG_20170607_194833

Fts:

IMG_20170607_194826

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

New stuff!!!!

I let the store test my water. They were mostly wondering if my tank wasnt too clean for xenias and shrooms to actually thrive. 

They also gave me some nice tips :)

I dont know the english name of this, leather coral?

IMG_20170607_194839

GSP:

IMG_20170607_194833

Fts:

IMG_20170607_194826

That's a nice piece of GSP!!

And that may be a Leather Coral, couldn't tell for sure. 

20 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

That's a nice piece of GSP!!

And that may be a Leather Coral, couldn't tell for sure. 

After more research, I think the correct name might be colt coral! 

I will move it into a higher flow area and feed the tank as well. 

I looked at gobies yesterday, but the first store we visited had aiptasia problems in every single tank (never seen it before. They usually are super clean!) And I decided to visit another store. We got the two corals there, but they feed their gobies 4 times a day with life food. I just can't give them that rn. So I will see if another place sellsis the cuties which are fed preferably with pellets of some sort. But otherwise with mysis or something, and then once a day. If I cant fullfill the needs of the fishy I won't buy the fishy. 

When I was busy yesterday I spotted a small white crab! Couldn't catch it and unfortunately I tried catching before making pictures. Haven't seen it since. 

I am thinking of cutting up my big mushroom. It has attached itself to three smaller pieces of LR. So if I cut it in three they will all have a base as well. 

Same for the colt coral, that is attached to two smaller pieces of rock as well. 

From research it seems I can just basically, cut through the mouth of the mushroom? And it'll heal again? 

And I can also just cut the colt in two? 

Help, as always, is appreciated. 

Pictures of new placement will be posted!

49 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

After more research, I think the correct name might be colt coral! 

I will move it into a higher flow area and feed the tank as well. 

I looked at gobies yesterday, but the first store we visited had aiptasia problems in every single tank (never seen it before. They usually are super clean!) And I decided to visit another store. We got the two corals there, but they feed their gobies 4 times a day with life food. I just can't give them that rn. So I will see if another place sellsis the cuties which are fed preferably with pellets of some sort. But otherwise with mysis or something, and then once a day. If I cant fullfill the needs of the fishy I won't buy the fishy. 

When I was busy yesterday I spotted a small white crab! Couldn't catch it and unfortunately I tried catching before making pictures. Haven't seen it since. 

I am thinking of cutting up my big mushroom. It has attached itself to three smaller pieces of LR. So if I cut it in three they will all have a base as well. 

Same for the colt coral, that is attached to two smaller pieces of rock as well. 

From research it seems I can just basically, cut through the mouth of the mushroom? And it'll heal again? 

And I can also just cut the colt in two? 

Help, as always, is appreciated. 

Pictures of new placement will be posted!

For the mushrooms, I'd say cut lengthwise through the mouth. 

I haven't done this but I know other people who have. 

It'll be slimy, so be prepared for that. 

I wouldn't cut the Colt Coral yet, first give it time to adjust to being in your tank. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

For the mushrooms, I'd say cut lengthwise through the mouth. 

I haven't done this but I know other people who have. 

It'll be slimy, so be prepared for that. 

I wouldn't cut the Colt Coral yet, first give it time to adjust to being in your tank. 

Yes, I think I need to cut them once I am here again to actually look multiple times a day all the time. 

(School starts again next week, and my tank is already at my parents for summer, hence the not doing anything that needs a lot of care rn) 

I should wait with the shroom too right? I read you can just cut them lengthwise and then return them to the tank after a rinse with salt water. 

Fts: colt got to a higher flow area. I kind of dislike the way the GSP is standing now. But it is on a flat round base, so there is not much wiggle room there. 

IMG_20170608_173554

Fts left side, with colt in its new place

IMG_20170608_182104

Gary made friends with Patrick! Or, part of Patrick. As he has split himself into two by now. 

IMG_20170608_181844

The colt up close

IMG_20170608_182058

(Pictures where taken just after moving the colt. So everything still looks a little madish)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Help is needed!

It's been a while, classes have started again (3 more weeks to go!!), causing me to be unable to follow all of your great journals :(, it's just.. too busy! 

Anyways, wverything was going great. But yesterday my mom swnd me some pictures of very very very sad mushrooms and xenias. The water was too hot (we have been having really high temperatures here), so I let her cool it with ice cubes in a bag, so far so good.

However, when I came home.today.... everything looked even worse! Temperature was back to normal, so I decided to do some tests. Turnwd out my nh3 is at 5! 

Did an immediate 15% WC and heading to the shop now for more salt water, as I ran out. 

What else can I do!? Will anything survive? It looks severely mad and sad.. 

We think one of the snails has died, we got him out of the tank. 

Help?!

19 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

I'd advise doing a 50% or more change.

Thanks, we are on our way to get water now. 

Anything else I can do? 50% tonight, other 50% tomorrow? 

Do you think there is a possibility things will survive? 

49 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks, we are on our way to get water now. 

Anything else I can do? 50% tonight, other 50% tomorrow? 

Do you think there is a possibility things will survive? 

I agree that a 50% WC is a good idea. 

Yes things can survive. 

If there is any bottled bacteria for sale at the fish store it wouldn't hurt to add some. 

Don't know if the product Prime is available there, but if so, that is good to add also. 

Wouldn't hurt to add fresh carbon to whatever filter you are using. 

If levels are still high tomorrow you could do another 50% WC, but I'd say that depends on parameters at that time. 

• Like 2

Hi all!

I barely have time to do anything about my tank, let alone update here and read all your adventures!

Everything is going better now, but one of the xenias basically looks dead. Should I remove it? We think it's causing a small ammonia spike atm, as the ammonia is at 0.25 (yesterday before a 10% WC). 

Better update with pictures follows later!

• Like 1

So, all in all, most things are back to normal. The one xenia looks really dead, but it is the only think I actually have glued to a rock, how do I get it out? 

Do I cut it off the rock with a knife or? 

What do I do if half of the xenia dies and the other half still looks okay? 

Overall, there isn't much news. I got coraline algae growing everywhere! They are good right? They are starting to cover my filter, and I even spotted some spots on one of the macros. 

All the macros are doing well and we keep seeing lots of new growth, and also a lot of new feather dusters! Including a cool red feather, and some nice striped ones.  I cant get a clearer shot of the feather, it looks like a spiralled red crown. Its really cool! 

IMG_20170701_144434

The colt seems to have divided itself, as can be seen in the picture below, but the part that has let loose still has a lot of color. So I'm hoping itll turn out okay! 

We lost Gary last week, but, we found a new crab! Must have been hiding in the stone for a while! Its a cool little crittre.. I think, as long as its not eating any macros/corals it should be okay right? We have only seen it feed on some algae so. Its shell is about a cm big, so its really small. 

The colt, you can see a small piece of it in the front (left bottom of picture). I put it against a rock. Anything else I can do to help it survive? It hasnt attached itself yet. 

IMG_20170701_144505

FTS, the dead xenia is in the middle of the pilar. On the left side. 

IMG_20170701_144418

Zoomed in on the dead xenia, and here you also see a lot of white worms. They are everywhere. Do I need to remove them or can they stay? 

IMG_20170701_144512

9 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

So, all in all, most things are back to normal. The one xenia looks really dead, but it is the only think I actually have glued to a rock, how do I get it out? 

Do I cut it off the rock with a knife or? 

What do I do if half of the xenia dies and the other half still looks okay? 

Overall, there isn't much news. I got coraline algae growing everywhere! They are good right? They are starting to cover my filter, and I even spotted some spots on one of the macros. 

All the macros are doing well and we keep seeing lots of new growth, and also a lot of new feather dusters! Including a cool red feather, and some nice striped ones.  I cant get a clearer shot of the feather, it looks like a spiralled red crown. Its really cool! 

IMG_20170701_144434

The colt seems to have divided itself, as can be seen in the picture below, but the part that has let loose still has a lot of color. So I'm hoping itll turn out okay! 

We lost Gary last week, but, we found a new crab! Must have been hiding in the stone for a while! Its a cool little crittre.. I think, as long as its not eating any macros/corals it should be okay right? We have only seen it feed on some algae so. Its shell is about a cm big, so its really small. 

The colt, you can see a small piece of it in the front (left bottom of picture). I put it against a rock. Anything else I can do to help it survive? It hasnt attached itself yet. 

IMG_20170701_144505

FTS, the dead xenia is in the middle of the pilar. On the left side. 

IMG_20170701_144418

Zoomed in on the dead xenia, and here you also see a lot of white worms. They are everywhere. Do I need to remove them or can they stay? 

IMG_20170701_144512

The little white worms are fine. 

The Xenia doesn't look dead to me, just ticked off. 

Dead Xenia would pretty much fall apart. 

I don't know if you have these there, but if it were me I would use a dremel tool with a diamond cutoff blade to remove it, if it needed removing. 

I would first take the rock it is on out of the water then use a tool to remove it from the rock. 

For the new Colt baby, I'd say leave it where it is and just give it the same conditions as the original piece to survive. 

You could always use fishing line to tie it onto a rock until it attaches on it's own.

yungKitten

Glad you're back!

I would remove the xenia to be on the safe side. Your call. I think part of the reason it is pissed is because it isn't getting a lot of light. (remember this?)

Lisa.thumb.jpg.bd91dc3baf9ea9cf24a2213e8

The little white worms are not harmful, but cleaning them off the glass for viewing clarity is a pretty common practice.

Overall the tank is looking really nice!

• Like 2

The white worms are spirorbid worms (and safe as the others said).  My xenia just completely melted and disappeared when it died.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, yungKitten said:

Glad you're back!

I would remove the xenia to be on the safe side. Your call. I think part of the reason it is pissed is because it isn't getting a lot of light. (remember this?)

Lisa.thumb.jpg.bd91dc3baf9ea9cf24a2213e8

The little white worms are not harmful, but cleaning them off the glass for viewing clarity is a pretty common practice.

Overall the tank is looking really nice!

I remember. I put the other two pieces in other areas and one is actually thriving. The other one got knocked over by Gary, and my mom only found it a day later, so that one is still a little sad. 

This third piece however, was the only piece I glued down.... I guess I will try to remove it today. 

• Like 1