Top Shelf Aquatics

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

It seems like everytime I make a big fuzz about something here things suddenly go right. MY XENIA.IS PULSING! omgomgomg

Didn't do waterchange or anything today. Cleaned the algae of the glass but thats all. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

It seems like everytime I make a big fuzz about something here things suddenly go right. MY XENIA.IS PULSING! omgomgomg

Didn't do waterchange or anything today. Cleaned the algae of the glass but thats all. 

Guess they just needed to settle in! :happy:

• Like 1
yungKitten
1 hour ago, JcSH2o said:

What's a good way to contain Xenias? Will they stay to one rock, or spread through the sand?

It's possible to isolate them on an island, but you still have to be vigilant. A new colony can form from a remarkably small piece of tissue. 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks! 

@yungKitten and @Lula_Mae, that was the only.time tho. Today they had stopped again. 

Maybe they're mad at your hands being in the tank all the time. :D

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It looks healthy in the pics. 

• Like 2
yungKitten
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Sound advice on both fronts.

Out of curiosity, how frequently are you doing water changes?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Haha, I did a WC friday and only fed it later. I am keeping my hands out! 

13 hours ago, yungKitten said:

Sound advice on both fronts.

Out of curiosity, how frequently are you doing water changes?

Since parameters are doing way better and everything looks good, I am scaling back to once a week now. Have done so since two weeks I think. 

Gonna make my day for WCs fridays, but I will be gone this Friday. So this week it'll be today. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Haha, I did a WC friday and only fed it later. I am keeping my hands out! 

Since parameters are doing way better and everything looks good, I am scaling back to once a week now. Have done so since two weeks I think. 

Gonna make my day for WCs fridays, but I will be gone this Friday. So this week it'll be today. 

Excellent!!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

NH3 0
NO2 0
NO3 3

We are thinking about adding more things, but what:O

Cool stuff!!!

What are you interested in adding?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Cool stuff!!!

What are you interested in adding?

I am not sure yet! defenitely would like a coral or something to "hide"a bit of the pole like structure the rock has at the left side. So something that can handle low flow and low light.

Furthermore, I have no idea? Maybe green star polyps or something? It would need to be placed on the rock that I have now though. As there is no extra room on the sand.

Stockings now:
-3 frags of pulsing xenia
-multiple mushrooms (about 7)
-Big rock full of polyps

-Multiple macros that have survived the soft cycle

-multiple feather dusters, 3 fairly large ones and at least 5 mini ones (one has a super cool red crown)

CUC now: two turbo snails

CUC addition:
I also would like something that will eat algae from the sand, the turbo's are great at eating algae of rocks and glass. But they leave the sand alone.

A crab would be cool. Maybe a Pompom, but that depends on its availability here and I need to do more research first.

As for fish....
I love Gobies,

But.... then your cute clown came in and I like clowns too now.

*goes back to research*

Help with stockings is very welcome :)

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

I am not sure yet! defenitely would like a coral or something to "hide"a bit of the pole like structure the rock has at the left side. So something that can handle low flow and low light.

Furthermore, I have no idea? Maybe green star polyps or something? It would need to be placed on the rock that I have now though. As there is no extra room on the sand.

Stockings now:
-3 frags of pulsing xenia
-multiple mushrooms (about 7)
-Big rock full of polyps

-Multiple macros that have survived the soft cycle

-multiple feather dusters, 3 fairly large ones and at least 5 mini ones (one has a super cool red crown)

CUC now: two turbo snails

CUC addition:
I also would like something that will eat algae from the sand, the turbo's are great at eating algae of rocks and glass. But they leave the sand alone.

A crab would be cool. Maybe a Pompom, but that depends on its availability here and I need to do more research first.

As for fish....
I love Gobies,

But.... then your cute clown came in and I like clowns too now.

*goes back to research*

Help with stockings is very welcome :)

Green Star Polyps could work well in that location on your rock, as long as you don't mind that it will eventually spread all over the rock. 

That's what they do. 

Nassarius Snails are what you need for the sand. 

A Clown would work fine. 

You could also get a Pom Pom Crab, a Porcelain Crab (kinda shy tho) or a Cleaner Shrimp. 

• Like 2

Nh3 0

No2 0

No3 1.5 

The shrooms and polyps are looking good, I fed them today and they seemed happy with that! Closed up for a bit and when they opened up, poof, the food was gone!

However, I have also seen some.. uhm.. hitchhikers? I was staring at the tank and saw a lot of things. I noticed a crabshell, pretty big too! I have never seen a crab in there other than houdini, but there must be one. Somewhere!

I also saw loads of spaghettiworms(?) On the windows, ieuw, but they are good critters right? We like them?

These things were not nice to notice, but then... The sand, was MOVING! All these small wormlike things came out and crawled back in! I dont know what to do! They are everywhere! I dont think I can remove them without getting all the sand out. And even if I do take ll the sand out they still seem to be on the LR as well. where do they come from! ? 

Any help is appreciated! 

Movie of moving critters in the sand:

VID_20170531_115241

The weird red thing that was on the glass before it moved into the sand. Spaghettiworm?

Screenshot_2017-05-31-11-57-37

Crabshell

IMG_20170531_115622

Happy shroom and happy polyps

IMG_20170531_115631

• Like 1
yungKitten

For the most part worms are good. They're also an indication of a healthy system. Eunice worms can be a nuisance. The shrooms and zoanthids look great! Is the xenia in rough shape? It looks not so good in the top pic.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Nh3 0

No2 0

No3 1.5 

The shrooms and polyps are looking good, I fed them today and they seemed happy with that! Closed up for a bit and when they opened up, poof, the food was gone!

However, I have also seen some.. uhm.. hitchhikers? I was staring at the tank and saw a lot of things. I noticed a crabshell, pretty big too! I have never seen a crab in there other than houdini, but there must be one. Somewhere!

I also saw loads of spaghettiworms(?) On the windows, ieuw, but they are good critters right? We like them?

These things were not nice to notice, but then... The sand, was MOVING! All these small wormlike things came out and crawled back in! I dont know what to do! They are everywhere! I dont think I can remove them without getting all the sand out. And even if I do take ll the sand out they still seem to be on the LR as well. where do they come from! ? 

Any help is appreciated! 

Movie of moving critters in the sand:

VID_20170531_115241

The weird red thing that was on the glass before it moved into the sand. Spaghettiworm?

Screenshot_2017-05-31-11-57-37

Crabshell

IMG_20170531_115622

Happy shroom and happy polyps

IMG_20170531_115631

The critters moving in your sand are the good kind of Pods, they're good microfauna for your tank. I've been noticing the exact same thing in my Waterfall Pico. 

And yes, that's a Spaghetti Worm, good ID!!

The Zoas and shrooms look great!!

• Like 1
11 hours ago, yungKitten said:

For the most part worms are good. They're also an indication of a healthy system. Eunice worms can be a nuisance. The shrooms and zoanthids look great! Is the xenia in rough shape? It looks not so good in the top pic.

Thanks, I dont know about the xenia. It has never really gotten to a great shape. It's not dying either, but it is definitely not thriving or doing great. 

11 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

The critters moving in your sand are the good kind of Pods, they're good microfauna for your tank. I've been noticing the exact same thing in my Waterfall Pico. 

And yes, that's a Spaghetti Worm, good ID!!

The Zoas and shrooms look great!!

Ah okay, thanks! So nothing to worry about? The spaghetti worms are good too right? I just, find it kind of scary to have my sand moving all the time :wacko:

1 hour ago, Lisa166 said:

Thanks, I dont know about the xenia. It has never really gotten to a great shape. It's not dying either, but it is definitely not thriving or doing great. 

Ah okay, thanks! So nothing to worry about? The spaghetti worms are good too right? I just, find it kind of scary to have my sand moving all the time :wacko:

Spaghetti worms are good as long as they don't go crazy reproducing, which usually doesn't happen. 

My Waterfall sand started moving this week too. 

Look at it this way. 

All those little pods and critters in there moving your sand are making sandbed maintenance easier on you, cause they're constantly eating bits of food that fall in the sand and turning the grains. They're basically maintaining it for you. 

Congratulations on your new, fabulous, totally free Sandbed Cleanup Crew!!! :lol:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Spaghetti worms are good as long as they don't go crazy reproducing, which usually doesn't happen. 

My Waterfall sand started moving this week too. 

Look at it this way. 

All those little pods and critters in there moving your sand are making sandbed maintenance easier on you, cause they're constantly eating bits of food that fall in the sand and turning the grains. They're basically maintaining it for you. 

Congratulations on your new, fabulous, totally free Sandbed Cleanup Crew!!! :lol:

WHOOOH! 

I am thinking like crazy about what other things I want to put in the tank. Maybe I should hold off on the nassarius snails for a little longer, since I have these little scary critters now. 

I defenitely would like more movement though, but I have for more weeks of school ahead starting june 12th. And my tank is already at my parents house, I dont want to make them feed it every day :lol:. Maaybe I can get a GSP and get away with feeding it twice a week. And then get a goby once I am home to maintain it better.