Top Shelf Aquatics

16g on dormrooms: dorm disaster!

Lisa166

Measured phosphates yesterday evening, they were at zero. 

Could that cause the macros to die off, or is that not a possible cause? 

I was figuring that the algae I thought I had might be more debris from dying off macros. As it comes off so easily. 

Wondering if I should start adding something to get the phosphates up a little bit, so the macros have food? 

On a happier note, houdini is doing well. Has been exploring his new tank setup, and is eating well. I feed him salmon about every other day, sometimes two days in a row. Sometimes two days not. He drags it to a hiding place and happily feeds on it there. He also scavengers the sandbed for food. Its very cool to see. 

He is harder to find with the new set up though. But I love the added plants (I am a plantscientist after all :p)

• Like 1

Wow. Like everybody else has said. That is some pretty awesome Live rock. I look forward to seeing your first reef tank progress. Have fun. 

• Like 2

Don't worry about adding phosphates right now, it's not needed. 

You are just seeing some die-off, and if you hadn't done the soft-cycle you would have seen MUCH more. 

You will see SO much more grow back over the next few months, it's going to be a really neat journey!!

I have a friend who did something really similar to what you are doing with the Live Rock. He also did a soft cycle, had similar die-off and saw some pretty spectacular plants grow back from his rock. 

I linked his tank thread for you on page 1 of this thread, you should go check it out to get an idea of what you can expect. Your plants will be different from his since you both got rock from different areas, but the overall experience will likely be very similar. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Don't worry about adding phosphates right now, it's not needed. 

You are just seeing some die-off, and if you hadn't done the soft-cycle you would have seen MUCH more. 

You will see SO much more grow back over the next few months, it's going to be a really neat journey!!

I have a friend who did something really similar to what you are doing with the Live Rock. He also did a soft cycle, had similar die-off and saw some pretty spectacular plants grow back from his rock. 

I linked his tank thread for you on page 1 of this thread, you should go check it out to get an idea of what you can expect. Your plants will be different from his since you both got rock from different areas, but the overall experience will likely be very similar. 

Thanks, I thought I went through the entire thread already. But will do so again. All the threads seem to get mixed up in my mind. As they are all so pretty :blush:

Anyways, i think the tanks are glad I will leave them alone for a few days over the weekend. 

And you guys probably are too :P

Nh3: 0.00-0.25

No2: 3.0

No3: 3.0

Po4:0.0

Pics of houdini next week, or this weekend. It won't let me add any picturs now.  He is definitely researching the tank well! 

• Like 1

Hi all, 

Wanted to send you some pretty pictures. But once again, my dorm rooms internet has died. So you'll get those later, or tomorrow. As rhe site still won't let me upload more than 0.21MB? 

Anyways, the tank is doing well. 

Did a small wc today, about 20% (not really small i know). After that I have seen worms, the feather dusters, white coralline(?) Which seems to be new. 

Anyways, water params are okay:

Nh3:0
No2: 0.5
No3: 3.0
Po4: 0

And houdini still seems to be doing fine. 

I really would like the no2 to go down, so I can finally get a trochus historius. 

• Like 1

So, I seem to have run out of space to upload. Instead, I have made a google photo album for today's photos. Hope that this will work.

Uploaded some pictures of the tank before and after cleaning.
As well as the worm I saw (Black/white striped worm with orange head), the coraline algae growing everywhere, the feather dusters, and the new life I have been seeing on one of my rocks.

Hope this works!

https://goo.gl/photos/JcRucbANt8WGCW4RA

Just now, Astinus said:

Link works...no Photos, but that link shares 7 photos.

Yeah. Trying to figure it all out before I actually fall asleep on my couch (it's been a long long day yesterday)

IMG_20170410_164928

Omg it's working!!! 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Lisa166 said:

Yeah. Trying to figure it all out before I actually fall asleep on my couch (it's been a long long day yesterday)

IMG_20170410_164928

Omg it's working!!! 

This looks GREAT!!!

Sounds like you're making very definite progress with the Reef Tank, now I'm off to check the photos in your link. :)

• Like 2
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

There is SO MUCH beautiful life on that Rock, this tank is gonna be so amazing when it really gets going!!!!

I am not sure Weety, but, THAT particular tank looks like it is set up for "Fiddler Crabs".

Although, that Rock does look nice. 

I am almost 100% sure that tank is a Terrarium set up for Fiddlers.

She has 2 different tanks. 

One is meant to be a Reef Tank and has been cycling some very nice quality live rock. 

Those are the rock with the plants all over them. 

Houdini the Fiddler Crab actually came as a hitchhiker on the rock, and she set up a separate habitat for him that has some of the rock in it. 

• Like 2

Houdini is actually a marble crab (we think) (metasesarma obesum). 

But yeah, he stole my heart. Pictures of the actual tank are in the link. Will try to post good pictures (i mean, in the thread using Flickr) wednesday. 

Yes! I hate the ugly looking die off. But I finally saw some pretty stuffs again as well today! Must have stared at it for ages. Also,  no idea what kind of worm the black/white one is. But it is pretty! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Astinus said:

I am not sure Weety, but, THAT particular tank looks like it is set up for "Fiddler Crabs".

Although, that Rock does look nice. 

I am almost 100% sure that tank is a Terrarium set up for Fiddlers.

The part you see here is not live rock either. It's just some cooked out lava stone (is that the correct word?). 

He has a brackish pool, and the plants are in two seperate small plastic containers, to keep the fresh water from mixing with the brackish water. 

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

There is SO MUCH beautiful life on that Rock, this tank is gonna be so amazing when it really gets going!!!!

I can't wait for the debris to stop coming down. Then i can add sand and a trochus. 

I was so amazed by that weird worm though.never saw it before

• Like 2
Just now, Lisa166 said:

Ps. I think it is a spaghetti worm!

Really?

I didn't think they were striped, although I could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Really?

I didn't think they were striped, although I could be wrong. 

I think there are multiple forms. 

If I google images I defenitely get striped ones too. 

Although I should see multiple tentacles if it where a spaghetti worm. But it hasn't bothered anything so far. So itll probably be okay. 

(Link to pictures with striped spaghetti worms: http://www.marinelifephotography.com/marine/worms/lanice-conchilega.htm)

Same picture from the worm as on my google photos account, just zoomed in a bit more to look at its amazingness. And wanted to have it visible in the actual thread... 
And yes... I am being bored at uni.

worm

• Like 2

Oooh, yes, it does look like the striped tentacles in that pic!!

In my experience, most of the worms that show up are harmless & helpful rather than negative, although it's always a good idea to check. 

Uni doesn't sound nearly challenging enough for you, what are you studying?

And how much longer will you be there before graduating?