Top Shelf Aquatics

Can you overfeed Coral

tofer

I have recently purchased  a duncan and it is doing well . I know it is not necessary to target feed but I figured it was something that could not hurt . Sunday I gave the duncan a mysis shrimp and it readily accepted it tonight I ended up giving it 2 shrimp and there was no issue . So my question is can you overfeed and harm the coral ?  Is there a rule of thumb for spot feeding ? 

thanks in advance  

I feed my corals 2 times a week I'd just watch feeding your tank to much can foul your water if you aren't careful 

Yes.

If the coral eats too much food and takes too long to digest it, the food can begin to decompose inside the mouth and cause infection. If it's stretching too much to get to one piece of food, can't close around it, etc, I'd aim for smaller pieces. It needs to be able to fully close around it.

Militant Jurist
23 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Yes.

If the coral eats too much food and takes too long to digest it, the food can begin to decompose inside the mouth and cause infection. If it's stretching too much to get to one piece of food, can't close around it, etc, I'd aim for smaller pieces. It needs to be able to fully close around it.

+1 

With Duncans, it is tempting to overfeed, because they want to devour anything that can be shoved in. I try to get one piece of food (mysis, Rod's, etc) per head when I target feed the coral once or twice per week.

Archived