SaltCritters.com

Understanding this dosing ...before dosing... alk test issue / phosphate & algae & NOPOX

anizato

CronicReefer

Your magnesium level is probably causing alkalinity to drop. Mg(2+) + CO3(2-) >> MgCO3). Basically this means 1 mol of magnesium + 1 mol of carbonate = 1 mol of magnesium carbonate. This usually occurs when the water becomes saturated with magnesium and not enough water molecules can surround the magnesium molecules to prevent the magnesium from combining with free carbonate ions in the water. It also explains why your calcium stays consistent but only alkalinity drops as CaCO3 precipitates much slower in the presence of magnesium. Another possible combination is Mg(2+) + HCO3(1-) >> MgHCO3(1+) which occurs at much lower concentrations. You may notice slower coral growth at extremely elevated magnesium levels.

On 4/12/2017 at 2:05 PM, CronicReefer said:

Your magnesium level is probably causing alkalinity to drop. Mg(2+) + CO3(2-) >> MgCO3). Basically this means 1 mol of magnesium + 1 mol of carbonate = 1 mol of magnesium carbonate. This usually occurs when the water becomes saturated with magnesium and not enough water molecules can surround the magnesium molecules to prevent the magnesium from combining with free carbonate ions in the water. It also explains why your calcium stays consistent but only alkalinity drops as CaCO3 precipitates much slower in the presence of magnesium. Another possible combination is Mg(2+) + HCO3(1-) >> MgHCO3(1+) which occurs at much lower concentrations. You may notice slower coral growth at extremely elevated magnesium levels.

wow that was a very cool learning moment! thanks for that!

I have slowly been dosing .02 dKh every day... which is now at around 9.5dKh. slowly raising it to the levels of the salt (red sea coral pro) which says it is 12.2dKh.

is this going to improve my situation? or is there another way of decreasing my magnesium? should I stop doing water changes for a while?

what do you suggest?

CronicReefer
16 hours ago, anizato said:

wow that was a very cool learning moment! thanks for that!

I have slowly been dosing .02 dKh every day... which is now at around 9.5dKh. slowly raising it to the levels of the salt (red sea coral pro) which says it is 12.2dKh.

is this going to improve my situation? or is there another way of decreasing my magnesium? should I stop doing water changes for a while?

what do you suggest?

Alkalinity of 12 is not really ideal for corals, especially LPS and SPS. I'd stop dosing elements all together and just stick with your NO3-PO4X regime. Magnesium will drop with water changes. I would also switch to a lower alkalinity salt. Most people end up switching from RSCP because of the high alk. 

P.S. Macroalgae loves magnesium, caulerpa/chaeto are good choices. I sometimes have to dose magnesium because of my refugium.

17 hours ago, CronicReefer said:

Alkalinity of 12 is not really ideal for corals, especially LPS and SPS. I'd stop dosing elements all together and just stick with your NO3-PO4X regime. Magnesium will drop with water changes. I would also switch to a lower alkalinity salt. Most people end up switching from RSCP because of the high alk. 

P.S. Macroalgae loves magnesium, caulerpa/chaeto are good choices. I sometimes have to dose magnesium because of my refugium.

Very cool. Then I will make the switch to the regular Red Sea Salt. This Article has a list of all salt mixes and their respective parameters.

I have some Caulerpa in the refugium and it is growing fantastically. I have to harvest once a month, I remove about 10oz, it is A LOT!

Also just tested for PO4 with the Phosphorus Hannah Checker, got 12ppb which is .0037 ppm. so right on the money. However I have noticed that the algae is green now, and no longer brown. So I guess the free phosphate ions are nearly all consumed and I expect the start starving pretty soon. 

Going to start up my GFO reactor again along with the next water change (this Wednesday)

I will document the results.

NoPox will continue to be dosed at 3ml a day. I hope this algae starts to starve pretty soon. Magnesium is still at 1600 though. Calcium remains a solid 450

CronicReefer
4 hours ago, anizato said:

Very cool. Then I will make the switch to the regular Red Sea Salt. This Article has a list of all salt mixes and their respective parameters.

I have some Caulerpa in the refugium and it is growing fantastically. I have to harvest once a month, I remove about 10oz, it is A LOT!

Also just tested for PO4 with the Phosphorus Hannah Checker, got 12ppb which is .0037 ppm. so right on the money. However I have noticed that the algae is green now, and no longer brown. So I guess the free phosphate ions are nearly all consumed and I expect the start starving pretty soon. 

Going to start up my GFO reactor again along with the next water change (this Wednesday)

I will document the results.

NoPox will continue to be dosed at 3ml a day. I hope this algae starts to starve pretty soon. Magnesium is still at 1600 though. Calcium remains a solid 450

That all sounds good to me except I would leave the GFO reactor off. Nitrate reduction works better with some phosphates present because it increases the amount of oxygen reducing bacteria providing a better environment for nitrate reducers. I used to be big on the GFO but found my tank is much better without it and the use of NO3-PO4X to control it through bacteria.

Archived