Top Shelf Aquatics

New clowns low apetit

Cdubbya

Got 2 new juvenile clowns , added them to my tank which is one week old. Got them Saturday morning and it was a fresh shipment they had just acclimated to the tank. 1 snowflake and 1 domino. I left them in the lfs bags for several hours while regulating their Temps by floating the bags in a cooler with warm water. I had yet to heat my tank so i was waiting for it to warm up. Once my tank got up to temp I began acclimating them. Floating the bags for 40 minutes. Then dripping for about 40 mins. They have hardly ate anything maybe 1 or 2 pellets each since saturday, its now monday. Did a water change yesterday as nitrates seemed high. 20-40 range, just checked it again and I would say 10-20 now. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, pH about 8. 20 gallon sea max. My refractometer was delayed in shipment and should be here tomorrow. I had lfs water in it when cycling. For now I just mixed it to what the box said, 1/2 cup per gallon, waiting on Rodi setup so I used distilled once I ran out of rodi.  Fish seem happy just no apetite, I was given some small pellets which he said he feeds them and have mixed in what i was using in the tank when cycling. They seem fine Swimming constantly mostly in one spot, every now and then they may wander. Live an hour away from closest lfs, trying to make due.

Did your tank go through a cycle?

How do you know what the salinity is without testing it? That could be a potential issue. Salinity swings are bad.

What is your temp at now? You cycled without any temp control? 

In future all you need to do for fish is float the bag for 30mins for temp acclimation providing your salinity and temp in your tank is correct.

Yes it cycled at 70 deg perfectly fine. Correct I could not test salinty, but water came from an established lfs aquarium. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and <20 nitrates. I tested regularly. Trust me guys water and tank was fine. We'll established live rock, live sand, and established aquarium water that I tested with the lfs. Tested perfect across the board. Even nitrates. 

Any who clowns are fine. They have been feeding on the over abundance of copepods. A week later they will take pellets, but not much as they are stuffed on pods, I can see them feeding on them. 

Archived