Top Shelf Aquatics

Beware dealing with WAR EAGLE REEFER

Canadianeh

This member WAR EAGLE REEFER. He deleted his account immediately after backing out from our deal for purchasing my Nanobox Duo Plus M. My ad specifically mention my location and the price in Canadian dollar. 

I strongly believe that he pretended he is from US and submitted his offer in USD which I accepted. He agreed to pay the shipping. I asked him to provide his US address for shipping quote, and then he suddenly backed out saying that it is not worth it for him to pay $50 - $70 shipping. I told him that he knew before making the deal that I am in Canada. I asked him if he has any Canadian address that he wants to ship it too and he said he is not interested anymore and wish me good luck. 

I told him that a deal is a deal, and I need to agree to cancel the deal as well. I told him that I already committed to another purchase based on his decision to buy my nanobox. He pretty didn't give a shit and just abandoned our deal without my consent. A short later he deleted his account from Nano Reef. 

This is one of his threads that he started on Nano Reef. It no longer appears started by him instead it shows started by "Guest" since he deleted his account from Nano Reef. 

It's really unfortunate that this happened, If I had a dime for every time it happened to me I'd have a 200g reef instead of a 20g haha. 

The lesson from this is a deal on the internet is about as good as a soup sandwhich. Shouldn't have committed the money until you had the cash in hand 

2 hours ago, Lawlboom said:

It's really unfortunate that this happened, If I had a dime for every time it happened to me I'd have a 200g reef instead of a 20g haha. 

The lesson from this is a deal on the internet is about as good as a soup sandwhich. Shouldn't have committed the money until you had the cash in hand 

The lesson can go both ways. Shouldn't not commit to an item until you have it in hand.

Normally people here is good for their word. This war weasel reaper dude is shady and has no honour. My message to him since I know he is coming back under different name looking to buy LED lighting for his 20 gallon tank: what come around goes around.

HarryPotter

TBH I don't think a deal is a deal until payment is made. If i thought shipping would be like $20 and you told me it was 50-70 I would back out too. It makes it totally not worth it. 

2 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

TBH I don't think a deal is a deal until payment is made. If i thought shipping would be like $20 and you told me it was 50-70 I would back out too. It makes it totally not worth it. 

of course it is. When someone knows where is your location, what you are selling, and proceed to say "it is a deal. I will take it for $xxx and I will pay the shipping" Then I say "Let's do it"

When you get the money, then it is called "closed deal". It is an honor system. Only the ones that have no honor that back out from a deal without the consent of the other party.  This guy didn't even talk about it, no discussion, zilt, nada. Like they say "don't write checks that your ass can't cash"

HarryPotter
34 minutes ago, Canadianeh said:

of course it is. When someone knows where is your location, what you are selling, and proceed to say "it is a deal. I will take it for $xxx and I will pay the shipping" Then I say "Let's do it"

When you get the money, then it is called "closed deal". It is an honor system. Only the ones that have no honor that back out from a deal without the consent of the other party.  This guy didn't even talk about it, no discussion, zilt, nada. Like they say "don't write checks that your ass can't cash"

It is and it isn't. If I agreed to pay for the item and shipping and then you told me shipping was $50-70 I would still back out. If i was selling something for $5+ shipping and then said $50 for "shipping and handling", the buyer should back out ?

5 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

It is and it isn't. If I agreed to pay for the item and shipping and then you told me shipping was $50-70 I would still back out. If i was selling something for $5+ shipping and then said $50 for "shipping and handling", the buyer should back out ?

It is. The problem is the buyer assumed the shipping is $50-$70 to ship it from Canada to USA for a Nanobox duo. I didn't even get a quote yet. He was asking for Fedex or UPS. I told him that I was going to send it using Canada Post. Firstly, he knew I am in Canada. He said he was from the US. He backed out without even getting the real shipping quote. I even asked him if he has a Canadian address that he can pick it up from. He refused to buy even after I told him that I will get shipping quote first, and then ran away and deleted his acount

27 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

People back out of deals all the time - that's just a fact of life. You shouldn't have committed to another deal without receiving payment. 

That's true. I backed out of deals too BUT only after both parties discussed alternative to make it work and agreed that the deal is no longer can move on. 

They should not confirm it is a deal if they are not sure.  

burtbollinger
3 hours ago, Canadianeh said:

This war weasel reaper dude is shady and has no honour.

lol.

or he got weirded out and doesnt want to pay 70 dollar shipping.

"a deal is a deal"  

comedy.

25 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

lol.

or he got weirded out and doesnt want to pay 70 dollar shipping.

"a deal is a deal"  

comedy.

It is comedy to see one made assumption without understanding the full story. He backed out even before a shipping quote is obtained LOL He knew that I live in Canada before he made the offer. He created this imaginary high shipping fee out of nowhere. 

Hilarious. 

14 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

I blame Canada 

I blame US 

I don't quite understand this... I've sold stuff for years online and have had countless people back out of deals for one reason or another. A deal is never a deal until you have payment in hand period. If this upset you, be sure not to try to sell anything on Craigslist lol

I think the issue is you assumed the deal was set in stone.  There is no deal set in stone until money has been exchanged, especially on the internet where you don't even know a person.

I'm sorry you committed money to another deal before waiting for this one to go through.  Unfortunately, that falls under "counting your chickens before they hatch".  You should've done a contingency on your end when making your next purchase (like a house: this purchase is contingent upon the nano box duo m selling then you wait for it sell and receive the money before finalizing your next purchase).  I'm sorry you feel deceived, but ultimately I don't think the buyer was at fault here.  No money was exchanged, no product was exchanged.  

And tbh, I saw your duo m listed at (or near enough, I can't recall) retail price and plus s&h it is cheaper to just buy it directly from NanoBox.  I saw it before I made my purchase of one and thats why I decided to do it.  I wouldn't be surprised if your buyer realized the same thing after talking with you and doing more research.

So maybe you gotta drop your price or "local pick up only".

1 hour ago, Canadianeh said:

That's true. I backed out of deals too BUT only after both parties discussed alternative to make it work and agreed that the deal is no longer can move on. 

They should not confirm it is a deal if they are not sure.  

7 minutes ago, PDR said:

I don't quite understand this... I've sold stuff for years online and have had countless people back out of deals for one reason or another. A deal is never a deal until you have payment in hand period. If this upset you, be sure not to try to sell anything on Craigslist lol

13 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

I think the issue is you assumed the deal was set in stone.  There is no deal set in stone until money has been exchanged, especially on the internet where you don't even know a person.

I'm sorry you committed money to another deal before waiting for this one to go through.  Unfortunately, that falls under "counting your chickens before they hatch".  You should've done a contingency on your end when making your next purchase (like a house: this purchase is contingent upon the nano box duo m selling then you wait for it sell and receive the money before finalizing your next purchase).  I'm sorry you feel deceived, but ultimately I don't think the buyer was at fault here.  No money was exchanged, no product was exchanged.  

And tbh, I saw your duo m listed at (or near enough, I can't recall) retail price and plus s&h it is cheaper to just buy it directly from NanoBox.  I saw it before I made my purchase of one and thats why I decided to do it.  I wouldn't be surprised if your buyer realized the same thing after talking with you and doing more research.

So maybe you gotta drop your price or "local pick up only".

I did not assume so. It is based on honor system. 

Let's turn the table around for a second. If I was the buyer and I want to cancel after I said "It is a deal", I would ask the seller if it is okay for me to cancel due to so and so. If the seller ask why I want to cancel, I will say because so and so. The seller then maybe will offer alternative to make the deal work, and I will hear his proposal and try to work with him. 

I will not just go to the seller and says "I don't want it anymore. Good luck!" And then when the seller asks why, I won't start making up reason for a shipping fee that is not even known and start quoting ridiculously higher amount than the normal just to abandon the deal. It is clear that the seller don't give a damn. So the reason of my post is just for FYI about the seller, and to share my experience dealing with him.

Just like any other posts, take it with a grain of salt and form your own opinion. 

10 minutes ago, burtbollinger said:

why are you selling your Duo, btw?

I am going to ATI T5 sunpower plus reefbrite

Man, if I had a dime for every bogus buyer or seller I've had the pleasure of conversing with...

You have to deal by simple rules to prevent this kind of thing, and never consider a transaction over until you have money or product in your hand. 

I've had people get mad at me for not wanting to drive to meet them, or to bend my schedule to match theirs. I've literally been yelled at and virtually stalked by a buyer who wanted a 65 gallon aquarium from me (unused) that I was willing to sell for $50, but would not fill with water to show him it didn't leak. The guy went mental for weeks... crazy!

8 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

Man, if I had a dime for every bogus buyer or seller I've had the pleasure of conversing with...

You have to deal by simple rules to prevent this kind of thing, and never consider a transaction over until you have money or product in your hand. 

I've had people get mad at me for not wanting to drive to meet them, or to bend my schedule to match theirs. I've literally been yelled at and virtually stalked by a buyer who wanted a 65 gallon aquarium from me (unused) that I was willing to sell for $50, but would not fill with water to show him it didn't leak. The guy went mental for weeks... crazy!

I know. I guess I am used with other members and other forums. 

I have to be extra cautious now when dealing with members on this forum. Crazy for sure./

11 minutes ago, Canadianeh said:

I have to be extra cautious now when dealing with members on this forum. Crazy for sure./

Oh come on now. You know good and well this could have happened to you on any of the major reef forums. I recently had something similar happen over on r2r so don't try and take it out on NR.

Consider it a valuable lesson learned.  There is no such thing as an "honor system" when it comes to internet buying and selling.  There is no deal until both money is exchanged and the item is received by the other party.

23 minutes ago, Canadianeh said:

Worst offending site for me so far is Kijiji (Canada's Craigslist).

I'd have to say I've had no issues at all on NR.com, although most of my dealings with aquatics gear has been GTA Aquaria, or Reptiles Canada.

You have to be cautious and mindful on all platforms.

• Christopher Marks locked this topic

Archived