Pod Your Reef

oogietank! ADA Cube Garden 45P

oogie

7 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Water test soon?

Yes soon!

But I am gonna take couple days to think through what I have missed! Too many times I got excited and filled up the tank with saltwater then find out something I have forgotten, and come up with half-assed solution.....

• Like 2

I just noticed it looks like your return line sitting below the overflow near the bottom of the tank.  I'm not sure that's such a good idea, as the display tank's water will flow into the sump in the event of a power outage until it hits that same level as the return.  Do you have a check valve?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, J-Ranko said:

I just noticed it looks like your return line sitting below the overflow near the bottom of the tank.  I'm not sure that's such a good idea, as the display tank's water will flow into the sump in the event of a power outage until it hits that same level as the return.  Do you have a check valve?

I know exactly what you are talking about.  However I did this on purpose because I wanted to use this bulkhead for both return and water change. 

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.0c6f9514a1ebb5449bb73b08de36bace.jpg

If you look at the diagram, return pump has check valve and Battery Backup capable of running my return pump 2+ hours.  So if there is power outage I will be OK. I always have backup pump available so, if pump fails, check valve will stop the back flow in to the sump. 

When I want to do water change, I shutoff the pump, check valve will stop the flow to sump, and open the ball valve and water will drain out without mouthful of reef water and bothering the tank inhabitants.

Thanks...

More to come.....

• Like 5
Just now, Christopher Marks said:

Did you have to do anything special to get the Nano Box Reef Mini to be compatible with 220v power?

It comes with multi-voltage power brick!  All I needed was a simple power adapter!

• Like 1
On 3/17/2017 at 11:49 AM, oogie said:

Plumbing done!

plumb01.thumb.jpg.42ff16187ba09a7281a90e4c061317f4.jpg

plumb02.thumb.jpg.c01c184aa90cd262f44df1728dc3fcd0.jpg

More to come....

So it looks like you were able to plumb both drain lines from the overflow box into the one filter sock?  Do you have to keep the lid off the filter sock compartment to do so or did you cut another hole in it? 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

So it looks like you were able to plumb both drain lines from the overflow box into the one filter sock?  Do you have to keep the lid off the filter sock compartment to do so or did you cut another hole in it? 

I am not a fan of filter sock at all, so I took it out and filled the compartment with rock rubble and plastic media.  And I did cut a square notch on the lid so i can keep it closed.

Also added Neo-Therm Heater and Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9001.

sump01.thumb.jpg.c77ade72b0a87cdcbec5b21f0299f11a.jpg

overlow01.thumb.jpg.90a3ee177409beadc366cd30752797c5.jpg

Here is Smart ATO Micro installed.  Its very small and works great!

ato01.thumb.jpg.b95dd52d8a7b841856f548bfac12f79c.jpg]

Tank is Cycling!

cycling01.thumb.jpg.9b2bff4ab5a03d6dbf08ad3ca5409abc.jpg

More to come....

• Like 7

Thanks for the photos! That helped me see what you did.  Great looking sump and cabinet...and the tank, light, and scape are awesome too!  Great job!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Now my tank is cycling with piece of shrimp.

full01.thumb.jpg.df867da7a7e6df76cd513b93d274aefc.jpg

Here is shot of sump

sump02.thumb.jpg.f60c258d760a249012ad9a76ec41bca6.jpg

Since I am pretty much done adding equipment to tank, here is a list.

Tank

ADA Cube Garden 45P 102-8512

45x27x30cm (approx:18"x10.6 "x12")

Overflow Box

Eshopps Eclipse S

Equipments

APC Smart-UPS C1500 (UPS)

Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 (Return Pump)

Eco Tech Marine VorTech Mp10QD (Circulation Pump)

Icecap 15 Reef Sump (Sump)

NanoBox Reef Mini (Light)

Autoaqua Smart ATO Micro (Auto Top Off)

Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9001 (Skimmer)

Neo-Therm Heater 100W (Heater)

Aqua Medic Multireactor S (Reactor)

One more thing, the way Icecap sump is designed, top off water chamber is located on the left-back side.  Its right next to return chamber so its great that it requires very short hose but in a tight cabinet, it is almost impossible to fill it or even check how much water is remaining.  So I had no choice but to use float switch and external container to keep top off water chamber filled.

topoff01.thumb.jpg.78519b139e180c518812edee087de7f9.jpg

More to come.....

• Like 4