SaltCritters.com

Coral dipping

tofer

Can  all soft and LPS corals be dipped in coral rx ? 

I know zoanthids can get a freshwater dip but can other corals tolerate it as well ? 

Yes im new tho the hobby thank you in advance . 

This afternoon I purchased a single head duncan coral did a nice dip in Coral RX  using the water from my water change today .  It was closed up really tight  went out for dinner came home and was partial open (which I did not think would happen ) . Tomorrow is a feeding day so will try to feed with a mysis shrimp and will post a pic tomorrow if fully open  . 

I would recommend Bayer for dips. Red bugs can slide past a Coral RX treatment whereas Bayer covers all of the bases and seems less harsh on your coral.

But I suppose Red Bugs wouldn't be an issue unless you plan on keeping SPS

Depends where you are located. Bayer is becoming hard for ppl to get. In Cda, you won't find it.

I've done freshwater and coral rx dips without any issues.

tanacharison

Looks good!  They are really easy to care for and will adjust to a wide rage of flow and light.  Once it adapts it will grow at a good rate. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update on the Duncan it's doing very nicely it seems to like its current location and seems like it is starting to grow new heads .:) 

IMG_3420.JPG

IMG_3421.JPG

That's great!!

I'd suggest using some peroxide on the hair algae around the base of the frag plug tho. 

Take frag out of water, put peroxide on HA (keeping it away from Duncan tissue), let sit for 1 minute, pull off everything that will come off, then return to tank. 

Q-tip is good. 

If you touch it with regular over the counter peroxide it would likely just irritate it but do no lasting damage. That kind of peroxide can even be used as a coral dip. 

Some people use 35% food grade peroxide (has to be special ordered or gotten at health food store) to really eradicate pest algae (same method I said above) and that kind of peroxide will kill or severely damage coral tissue if it touches it. 

I have some of that kind on hand for that purpose. 

Maybe leave it on 2 mins. 

Use tweezers or fingers to pull off all algae you can, then peroxide, then scrub with toothbrush to get off all possible. 

Remove and scrub w/toothbrush again next to scrub off what has died. 

Archived