Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluconazole dose amount: what're your experiences?

dandelion

Nixperience

I heard phosphateX works. It doesn't get rid of it, but makes it easy to pull off the rocks. So you phosphateX and then manually remove. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, dandelion said:

Are you going to keep fluconazole in your system? Once you remove it the algae may come back.

I will probably just let it ride as is to be honest. I have not made any water changes since the dosage, and i know my phosphate / nitrate levels are a little elevated, but I plan on stocking with mostly softies so they will appreciate the nutrients. I also just started the fuge back up so that will help some too. 

15 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

I heard phosphateX works. It doesn't get rid of it, but makes it easy to pull off the rocks. So you phosphateX and then manually remove. 

Just be careful with the RX, some times it works a little too well. 

13 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Sounds like something working too well is better than pharmaceuticals for a month?

Not if it happens too fast, that could also cause coral loss 

Nixperience
22 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Not if it happens too fast, that could also cause coral loss 

True. Nothing good happens fast. 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On 4/5/2017 at 1:48 AM, Clown79 said:

Do you spot treat with peroxide in the tank?

I have a rock that can't be moved with gha on it and pulling the gha out is not only a pain but its very hard to get to.

Once you make sure you have husbandry and CUC down-pat, this is my favorite manual tool.

On 4/5/2017 at 6:56 AM, natalia_la_loca said:

Yes, I spot treat in the tank, but I drain the water first.

in my bigger tank, I used to do underwater peroxide spot treatments by dispensing 35% peroxide with a pipette, directly onto the GHA. This works but is less efficient (you need to use more) and it stays in the tank afterward.

Keep in mind that "odinary" grocery store peroxide in the States is 3% and it's stabilized...often with tin.

35% is "food grade" and pure, but not stabilized.  You can be fairly sure that what comes out of the bottle is only 35% once....after that it will get less and less as the peroxide stabilizes with the air in the container.  But it's still stronger than 3%. :)

I usually recommend 1-2 mL of grocery store peroxide to treat a small patch – 1-2 square inches – while ALL FLOW is off.  I also usually tell people that they can treat more than one patch per day, they can use more mL per treatment and they can leave the pumps off for longer....but go slowly in those directions until you get a feel for it. :)  

On 5/5/2017 at 6:37 PM, dandelion said:

Are you going to keep fluconazole in your system? Once you remove it the algae may come back.

Relapse does not appear to be 100%, but it is very common.  I wouldn't bother with it, that's for sure.  :P

natalia_la_loca

The 35% H2O2 definitely gets less potent over time. But yes, still way stronger than 3%.

Flucon failed to completely eliminate one strain of GHA in my reefbowl. But it killed all the others. I’ve been doing a re-treatment lately because some new GHA has popped up over time, either because spores survived or with the acquisition of new frags. It’s been just as effective the second time (in combination with H2O2 and good husbandry of course)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I live in uk. What is the dosage for this treatment? Do you have to dose daily or is it just one big treatment of 9gr per 100 litres? Confused!! And where can you get it? Cheers.

• 1 month later...
jasonrusso
On 5/2/2017 at 10:42 PM, jbb_00 said:

Pics from today

20170502_202346.thumb.jpg.ebc704306378b4a126d50d7b4af2919e.jpg

20170502_202349.thumb.jpg.dee24f194290460b73e0c1fb3b0c5a6e.jpg

20170502_202351.thumb.jpg.2185631d4a1603211d5a14c082ba5814.jpg

20170502_202341.thumb.jpg.76c1491a4cc23459b7ce2b6fb7d25cb1.jpg

This was one 20mg/gal dose?  I have more than that dosage and I am 22 days in and I have about 70% left.  I have seen some die-off, but it definitely isn't "cured."

Where did you get the fluconazole? Was it powder or pills? I got the pills and I have to grind them up.  

jasonrusso
On 4/4/2017 at 9:12 AM, Tstew32 said:

Takes a minimum of 21 days to treat GHA and a second dose is reccomemended if not gone by first dose.

Are you supposed to add more or try to remove the existing fluco with carbon?

18 minutes ago, jasonrusso said:

Are you supposed to add more or try to remove the existing fluco with carbon?

I used a capsule form (its powder inside) for some bryopsis, it was dead and gone in a few days. I did not have a lot of it, just wanted to nip it in the butt quick and it kept returning after peroxide dips. 

This exact stuff:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-flux-fluconazole-treatment-reefhd.html

On 5/21/2018 at 2:50 PM, jasonrusso said:

This was one 20mg/gal dose?  I have more than that dosage and I am 22 days in and I have about 70% left.  I have seen some die-off, but it definitely isn't "cured."

Where did you get the fluconazole? Was it powder or pills? I got the pills and I have to grind them up.  

One single dose . I purchased the capsules and emptied the powder out of them. I removed all filtration, removed skimmer , and completely stopped water changes. Took around 8 weeks or so for it to really work.