Pod Your Reef

Refugium in Fluval Evo 13.5?

Minmay

FiveGallonSea

The Evo is kind of new you might not get too many responses. I did however see a couple threads on Spec owners making refugiums in the chamber. Or some getting an add on to the tank to act like a refugium. Thing is if you make that a refugium where are you going to put all your other media.

I own a Spec V myself. In the beginning these tanks are very appealing, but very quickly do you realize the shortcomings.

• Like 2

Thank you fivegallon. Hopefully more people will start getting the fluval evo because its really a nice tank and way bigger than the spec so more room for aquascaping. Thank you Weetabix i think Ive read this DIY before. Ive youtube mini refugiums but right now im sticking with the stock lighting until I can get a nanobox mini tide. I think with the stock lighting it prevents me from having HOB. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2017 at 7:31 PM, TheRealMatrix said:

I've had mine in the middle chamber for a few weeks. Using this light:

https://www.amazon.com/JBJ-Nano-Refugium-Light-Aquarium/dp/B003J89HEU

Using chaeto with a micron bag so there are no loose pieces.

IMG_20170324_202455.jpg

IMG_20170324_202503.jpg

I am new to this whole thing and I have this exact tank.  Can you tell me a bit more about using chaeto in that middle chamber?  If I use that light, it will be fine in just a micron bag and still do its job?  

I would love to use that second chamber as a refugium but I am not sure how to do it best.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/3/2017 at 8:31 PM, TheRealMatrix said:

I've had mine in the middle chamber for a few weeks. Using this light:

This light works well with honeycomb? Or you removed it?

Thanks

@SaltyBuddha How long have you been using that light? Have you seen growth or is it too soon to tell? I've been considering the JBJ refugium light, but if you see good growth with a light that is 1/6th the price I'd go with the more frugal option. Thanks

• Like 1
TheRealMatrix

@EvilFish @Minmay the light works really well. It's very bright. I also now have some cyano and a tad bit of green hair algae growing in there as well. Flow wise it sucks back there, it's very slow. I took my chaeto out the micron bag and it started to break apart, probably because of the restricted movement. The chaeto had grown substantially.

• Like 1
SaltyBuddha

Honestly it's too soon to tell. I saw some Amazon reviews that said it works well for their smaller fuges. It lights up the whole back portion really well too.

I also kept it in a 5 gallon bucket with no nitrates for almost two weeks. Bought it when I "thought" my cycle would be complete and did not want it to mess with the results. Since then the ball has become denser and still has good color.

I did notice a drop in nitrates when I first introduced it. It kept my nitrates consistent during multiple ammonia and nitrite spikes so it's doing the job. I'll replace it if I don't see substantial growth in the next 2 months after I have an actual bio load.

• Like 2
SaltyBuddha

@TheRealMatrix I also had an issue with chaeto getting into my DT. I put a micron bag around the return pump instead. Cut holes for the suction cups and is working great. It will have to be cleaned out at least once a month, but it's better than cleaner chaeto out of the DT every other day

SaltyBuddha
23 minutes ago, Minmay said:

I was thinking of submersible air bubble light...maybe it would help with flow? What u guys think? 

Light is more important than flow. From my research, slower flow does not inhibit growth. Obviously you don't want it to be stagnant, but light and nutrients are the bigger factors.

Side fact- someone put an airstone into the middle of their chaeto and said it worked wonders

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Light is more important than flow. From my research, slower flow does not inhibit growth. Obviously you don't want it to be stagnant, but light an nutrients are the bigger factor.

Side fact- someone put an airstone into the middle of their chaeto and said it worked wonders

Then the submersible air bubble light might work then. I saw some at petco but the one I wanted was round and wouldnt fit. Then the long skinny one was too long...so then I was like screw it lol

Refugium are great but to get the most benefit from it, it should be 20% of the tank volume. Small refugiums aren't as beneficial.

Cheato needs light and flow. With not enough flow other algaes will start to inhibit it. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Wannaheli said:

Any updates?  Very interested in seeing how some of the refugiums worked out.

Interested to see how others are doing as well. I just installed the "hardware" for a chaeto refugium on chamber 2 and will be picking up chaeto from the LFS this afternoon. 

Heres my set-up for those that are interested. 

iA9YGh0.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 9:48 AM, TheBig053 said:

Interested to see how others are doing as well. I just installed the "hardware" for a chaeto refugium on chamber 2 and will be picking up chaeto from the LFS this afternoon. 

Heres my set-up for those that are interested. 

iA9YGh0.jpg

I love your setup MrBig. Hows that working out for you?

7 hours ago, Minmay said:

I love your setup MrBig. Hows that working out for you?

Only had chaeto in the chamber since Wednesday (Aug 23). My Nitrates were somewhere between 5-10 ppm on the Red Sea kit on Wednesday. The shade of pink was closer to 10 than 5 though. Tested yesterday and it was 5 ppm and again today after my weekly water change (2.5-3 gallons) and it was still at five. Will test again in a few days to see if there is any noticeable decrease. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, TheBig053 said:

Only had chaeto in the chamber since Wednesday (Aug 23). My Nitrates were somewhere between 5-10 ppm on the Red Sea kit on Wednesday. The shade of pink was closer to 10 than 5 though. Tested yesterday and it was 5 ppm and again today after my weekly water change (2.5-3 gallons) and it was still at five. Will test again in a few days to see if there is any noticeable decrease. 

The chaeto didnt work out for me so I decided to get mangroves. Its working out better for me. My Nitrates stay at 5 with the mangroves ?

53 minutes ago, Minmay said:

The chaeto didnt work out for me so I decided to get mangroves. Its working out better for me. My Nitrates stay at 5 with the mangroves ?

How did you do that?

9 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

How did you do that?

I bought 2 mangroves and attached it to tank with rubber bands. Its growing. Its slow but it has grew since i bought it.