Pod Your Reef

15 minutes ago, spectra said:

What gorg is that? Looks nice!

I believe the darker purple one is plexaura flexuosa and the lighter purple one is muricopsis flavida. 

I bought one from KP Aquatics and the shipment went out late so they gave me a free one along with the original one. Two different gorgs for the price of one!!  They were great to deal with. 

• Like 2
gone_PHiSHin

i don't think i'll ever add a gorg to my current tank, it just doesn't fit my theme.  but i sure do love them, especially when they look all healthy with their polyps extended.  

KP Aquatics has the best selection i've ever seen when it comes to gorgonians!  and i always hear good things about dealing with them.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i don't think i'll ever add a gorg to my current tank, it just doesn't fit my theme.  but i sure do love them, especially when they look all healthy with their polyps extended.  

KP Aquatics has the best selection i've ever seen when it comes to gorgonians!  and i always hear good things about dealing with them.

I needed something vertical to balance things out.   

They are all so pretty...... I would love to get my hands on one of the corkscrew kind. 

8 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

care to put up a current FTS so we can see the gorg placement?

i really love this tank.  12 gal longs are so cool

I will post a new one tomorrow.  ?

1 minute ago, Sancho said:

Just found this thread. Tank looks amazing! 

Thank you so much. ?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

Gorgonians are sweet! you have to have at least one in there.......I have a few in my big tank along with SPS and zoas.

And yes when it comes to gorgs KP has a nice selection. Just remember try and stay away from the NPS ones though.......they look really nice but are a PITA to keep alive......

8 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Just found this thread. Tank looks amazing! 

Late as usual :rolleyes:

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Late as usual :rolleyes:

Don't tempt me. Corporate headquarters is in that state you hippies want to keep to yourself. ;)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

When I was at the LFS looking for a first coral to put in my tank, I found a tank with some pulsing pom pom xenia (which I'd never found in a store before) and remarked on it and kid goes, "Yeah, you don't want that."  Well, ok then. :rolleyes:  I think he thought I was a noob. :lol:

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Don't tempt me. Corporate headquarters is in that state you hippies want to keep to yourself. ;)

Yeah but way north in Seattle..................mini cali if you ask me :rolleyes: another reason I hate driving north...............oh and Braaap lives up there to :lol:

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

When I was at the LFS looking for a first coral to put in my tank, I found a tank with some pulsing pom pom xenia (which I'd never found in a store before) and remarked on it and kid goes, "Yeah, you don't want that."  Well, ok then. :rolleyes:  I think he thought I was a noob. :lol:

It looks decent but is a weed.............it will overgrow a tank in no time if let loos to roam freely..........I put one piece on the back overflow and a piece of GSP on the other side. Well GSP is about the size of a silver dollar and the xenia well it has went nuts.........I peel it off the grates of the overflow now.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, spectra said:

It looks decent but is a weed.............it will overgrow a tank in no time if let loos to roam freely..........I put one piece on the back overflow and a piece of GSP on the other side. Well GSP is about the size of a silver dollar and the xenia well it has went nuts.........I peel it off the grates of the overflow now.

lol yeah, I know it can take over, I just thought it was funny that this kid was telling me this as though I knew nothing about reefing. :lol:

• Like 3
gone_PHiSHin

i think he may have just been dissuading you since it does grow like a weed, which is what i usually do to people that want it :lol:

i put some in my first nano and it was just way too much after a while, especially if i eased up on maintenance.  eventually i regretted putting it in there a lot since once it's in and established on your rocks there is no turning back

edit:  i will admit, a fullly grown colony pulsing like crazy in a low flow, yet well lit area is truly beautiful.

• Like 3

What percentage of your tank would you like to be Xenia?

If you answered less than 100, pick it off and give it to a fellow reefer. ;)

• Like 3
gone_PHiSHin
36 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

You certainly can. 

yep, i had a large portion of my back wall covered in the nano i referred to earlier.  it will grow on anything!

i had a hermit that had a piece of xenia on it's shell that i thought was absolutely hilarious.  wish i could find the pictures of that tank, it's on an old hard drive or flash drive somewhere

This is such a pretty tank!  And xenia rocks...I don't care what anyone else says LOL.  It's so easy to remove if you don't want it anymore.  It's one of my favorite corals!

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, gena said:

This is such a pretty tank!  And xenia rocks...I don't care what anyone else says LOL.  It's so easy to remove if you don't want it anymore.  It's one of my favorite corals!

Thank you Gena ?

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

in my experience, once you try to remove it from a rock it leaves enough tissue behind that it regrows eventually, like some mushrooms and such

hook us up with that FTS!!

• Like 1

So, a few changes today:

i moved the xenia in with The Creep.  I love it but I don't want it on my rocks. Twice a day I was finding pieces that jumped off the island and landed somewhere else. We'll see what he does with it. 

Also, I stirred things up and made the tank a little cloudy so I added my Fluval on the back with some floss to clear things back up. 

Here's the FTS.......IMG_0267.thumb.JPG.37f60b10f8b02c5395b83eb6decdc86a.JPG

Little hazy still.....and the glass needs scraped. ?

• Like 6
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm