Cultivated Reef

A Little Blue
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Morning time.  

76CA684A-0EAC-4A73-A830-CF3BC5D42FFE.thumb.jpeg.ee1fb51d1fbe53345eee9bc3a381a024.jpeg

Awesome. Let me ask you something related to your tank. Have you researched other manufacturers who make tanks with similar dimensions? I am planning to set up something similar but a bit smaller. Can’t find a whole lot with similar dimensions. 

24 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Awesome. Let me ask you something related to your tank. Have you researched other manufacturers who make tanks with similar dimensions? I am planning to set up something similar but a bit smaller. Can’t find a whole lot with similar dimensions. 

I didn’t know tanks of this size existed until I found this one on Craigslist. I do know that Mr Aqua made a few “bookshelf” tanks with odd dimensions. A few can still be found on BRS and ebay last time I looked.  🙂

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I didn’t know tanks of this size existed until I found this one on Craigslist. I do know that Mr Aqua made a few “bookshelf” tanks with odd dimensions. A few can still be found on BRS and ebay last time I looked.  🙂

Yeah, I know. I saw few tanks on Amazon that I never heard before that are small and longish but nothing like Mr.Aqua 12. 

ADA is making some smallish nano tanks but I doubt that they have pico long in their lineup. Perhaps custom made???

I like IM new 10gallon with smoked back panel and ready to drill but it’s a basic cube. I need something like 8-10g or less that can be drilled. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

I need something like 8-10g or less that can be drilled.

Marine Depot has a couple of different AquaMaxx long aquariums which would probably fit your needs: https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx-Aquariums-MB1-FIAQ-ct.html

Particularly this 9.1 gallon: https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Long_Cuboid_Low_Iron_Rimless_Aquarium_9.1_Gallon_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks_Under_10_Gallons-AquaMaxx-UJ94554-FIAQNCNTUT-vi.html

AquaMaxx Long Cuboid Low-Iron Rimless Aquarium -  9.1 Gallon

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
A Little Blue
21 minutes ago, seabass said:

That’s PERFECT!!!👍

IDK how the hell have I missed that. 🙄

Thanks a lot buddy. 😉

New build coming soon..... In few months. 🤫

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Muffin said:

Is that a Monti in the upper center? That sure is some cool growth!

yep! Monitora Capricornis.......  It has come back from the dead twice!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

I did the whole cube thing for a few years, but, meh, I like my rectangular tanks better. I've been watching for one of those 12g tanks, I might end up having one made out of the glass I have here.

Now I got teh Reef Herpes in my 80, FML! Damn dinos suck.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
4 hours ago, Muffin said:

Nice yeah they are pretty indestructible lol

It is currently fighting a battle with the Leptastrea, and I think the Leptastrea might win.

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Muffin said:

Where is the leptastrea in relation to the Monti colony? You could probably super glue a line of defense between the two to stop the battling.

The Leptastrea has grown on the Montipora, and the Montipora is growing around the Leptastrea. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
Christopher Marks
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

The Leptastrea has grown on the Montipora, and the Montipora is growing around the Leptastrea. 😂

They’re both just fighting for your affection! 😅

Happy Friday!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Lol well then it's going to look really cool when the leptastrea takes over

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
1 hour ago, Muffin said:

Lol well then it's going to look really cool when the leptastrea takes over

Seems like it would, but I wouldn't be so sure.

This Monti and Leptastrea chased each other around and around for over 5 years in my old funky 55g:

315613263_MontiandLep_2007.jpg.e357cda9d323cf121910bdcabcf8d51e.jpg

The Lep was the aggressor, but it couldn't outpace the Monti's faster growth and ability to plate-and-shade the Lep, so they remained in a whorling 'dynamic equilibrium' state for the life of the tank.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Wow 1
6 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Seems like it would, but I wouldn't be so sure.

This Monti and Leptastrea chased each other around and around for over 5 years in my old funky 55g:

315613263_MontiandLep_2007.jpg.e357cda9d323cf121910bdcabcf8d51e.jpg

The Lep was the aggressor, but it couldn't outpace the Monti's faster growth and ability to plate-and-shade the Lep, so they remained in a whorling 'dynamic equilibrium' state for the life of the tank.

That is so awesome, just another thing that adds to the layers of amazement of this hobby.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

My brain just cant get it. This tank being so long makes me picture like a 50+ gallon reef.. as always beautiful tank😋

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Weikel said:

My brain just cant get it. This tank being so long makes me picture like a 50+ gallon reef.. as always beautiful tank😋

🙃 it’s just a little baby reef. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm