SaltCritters.com

• 2 weeks later...

Few pics:

yellow sponge

0833BE30-AB3D-4F8A-B118-961266F77F22.thumb.jpeg.17d5cc322057f0dbcf7ebc9b9cbb4985.jpeg

Hermit 

57D6BED2-D356-45DD-B4EB-A55145081045.thumb.jpeg.3064c51536906e8fcce387b91deddf6c.jpeg

Nemo!

9D9903C4-1258-412C-969D-DAFCA9577208.thumb.jpeg.fca1adcaff4bf228e6c871b84ba0a96c.jpeg

Favia up close

5951E4D7-EAD5-4CB7-9836-591007CB634C.thumb.jpeg.2068ea3a92ac930378e2f6b70b374040.jpeg

Cup Coral

D3A59711-4920-4886-9F12-EC1E4C9691A9.thumb.jpeg.8a0986714cd9519c04515280c24c1f03.jpeg

Sponge on Sponge

A6A629D4-DD17-48C1-AD8B-00651750B418.thumb.jpeg.4dc268472819a73b26f46f4dac1e02ab.jpeg

One of the Fat Boys

A134698B-554E-4E25-BE68-1943E2373456.thumb.jpeg.3d3444ab683372de81071387324d4627.jpeg

Also, today marks the first day of the tap water experiment. I will begin by using top off water from the tap and then slowly work my way up to the water change water. 

• Like 7
15 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Also, today marks the first day of the tap water experiment. I will begin by using top off water from the tap and then slowly work my way up to the water change water. 

This will be interesting and it has certainly worked for some.  Success is largely dependent not only on the TDS level of the municipal water supply, but the consistency over the course of the year (some areas have widely varying TDS depending on the time of year and the switching of water supply sources).

• Like 3
Just now, Nano sapiens said:

This will be interesting and it has certainly worked for some.  Success is largely dependent not only on the TDS level of the municipal water supply, but the consistency over the course of the year (some areas have widely varying TDS depending on the time of year and the switching of water supply sources).

I’ve been thinking about it for awhile and decided to just go for it. Starting slow will allow me to quickly make changes if things go south. If I don’t try it I will always be thinking “what if”.  

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, spectra said:

whats the TDS in your local water ?

mine sines in at over 100 so dont even think I would try.............

this morning it was 203 straight from the tap

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
6 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Are you going to start using tap in 1 tank or all of them?

I’m starting in the 12 gallon first and then Ill go from there.  No need to ruin them all if it goes badly. 😄

It will be small amounts at first as I only top off maybe a half gallon a week in this tank. After I see how that goes, I’ll slowly start to incorporate it into my water change water. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I’m starting in the 12 gallon first and then Ill go from there.  No need to ruin them all if it goes badly. 😄

It will be small amounts at first as I only top off maybe a half gallon a week in this tank. After I see how that goes, I’ll slowly start to incorporate it into my water change water. 

What I would do is run it through GFO to make sure there's no phosphate in it. My old friend Mich NEVER uses RO/DI water, he treats with Poly filters and GFO, that's all. He has a 700g tank that is amazing.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, kimberbee said:

My well water comes out at 750. 🤷‍♀️

holy shit...........surprised algae isnt coming out of the little one :lol: maybe it is.............those diapers contain scary things...............

• Haha 6
11 hours ago, spectra said:

whats the TDS in your local water ?

mine comes in at over 100 so dont even think I would try.............

That's low here. my TDS is 400-500. I told you our water is disgusting.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, can you chew your water? I guess I don't realize how good my well is, 140TDS on a bad day, 50TDS regularly and I can clean most of that up before it hits the RO unit.

If I were you and you have a water heater I would drain it out every 6 months. That swirling sediment is what does in heaters.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

My water seems like a fresh mountain stream compared to those numbers. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
39 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, can you chew your water? I guess I don't realize how good my well is, 140TDS on a bad day, 50TDS regularly and I can clean most of that up before it hits the RO unit.

If I were you and you have a water heater I would drain it out every 6 months. That swirling sediment is what does in heaters.

Yeah that regularly happens in our neighborhood. I'm so glad ours in in the garage and not in the attic like many people's

• Like 3
On 9/29/2019 at 8:34 AM, Nano sapiens said:

Your water company may do specific treatments for this or that (storm overflows - more bleach;  downstream leaks - more phosphate to plug it; etc) and it'd be worth asking them about any stuff like that which might be predictable.  (They can't predict the non-predictable stuff...which may be a concern too.)

Very interesting experiment! 🙂 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
20 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Wow, I though my water was bad at right around 280ish

• Like 1
19 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Don't worry, we do. And the people who lived here before us must have done the same. It's in really good shape for as old as it is. We'll be preemptively replacing it soon. 💵

• Like 3
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm